Do games really encourage violence?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
In my opinion, you can't really blame the game because if violence happens in real life, it is at the hands of the individual whom committed the violent act, not the game. If someone is easily influenced by a video game, then they are easily influenced by everything else and is therefore likely to commit the violent act regardless of playing violent video games or not.

Blaming video games is just another ploy used by politicians because it is easier to blame and they don't want to blame people or potential voters. It's basically just a bunch of bullshit.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Humans have at least nine senses. Games stimulate two. The line between reality and fantasy is very firmly drawn when less than 1/4 of your being is immersed.

Not to mention that true realism in games is impossible at this stage and seldom striven for.

It's true that many games reward in-game violence, but I have never once felt remorse over the death of an enemy, never suffered from PTSD because of spending hours in battle and nearly dying. Games cannot encourage real-life violence because real life is quite well distanced from the simulation.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Jakub324 said:
Do games really encourage violence?

The first collection of violent video game was made in 1992/3 and the practice of playing them grew in 1995. If anything I would say the correlating data suggests the answer is not only a big fat no but it seems to deter violence.

zephae

Aug 10, 2011
I have seen more fights (and even heard of a shooting) over games of Madden than any FPS game ever created. That said, I don't think games in general encourage violence and instead are a release in the same way that the Olympics were supposed to be a substitute for world wars. Perhaps games have caused me to lose my empathy over tragedies I hear about in the news, but they have in no way affected my compassion and sensitivity to violence in my everyday life. Ultimately, questions like these come down to the person you're talking about - everything from books, to speakers, to movies and TV (basically all forms of media) have been blamed for encouraging negative behavior, but in end it all comes down to the individual. After all, whatever power those sources may have, they pale in comparison to a friendly or authoritative voice, especially if it's in your own head.

finecrazydud

Mar 6, 2010
the can encourage violence to someone with a mental disorder whose is already more like kill than you average joe/jane

Apr 24, 2008
Deshara said:
Do books about something violent happening support violence?
*cough*scripture*cough*...

I'd rather my hypothetical child played violent video-games than listened to rap or was taught scripture. Games are clearly fantasy, both rap and the Abrahamic scriptures deal with the real world, and promote views and lifestyle aspirations that I strongly disagree with.

I'm not saying video-games have zero affect on people, I just think they represent a small threat compared to some of the other shit we largely ignore. Including rap, religion, children's toys...tell me Barbie hasn't fucked up more people than Gears of War.

You can criticize a game without being accused of being an intolerant bigot, so they're an easy target.

If I've offended anyone, oh well...