Do I need to watch Firefly before watching Serenity?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
While I am interested in watching both, I'm kind lazy to get into a whole TV series right now, especially since I'm already following like 5. I thought Serenity might be a nice intro into the universe.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
It's not necessary, no - it is separate enough. You might not get a proper introduction of some characters as it is just a movie and they have been in the TV series until then, however, it does work as a movie standalone.

Bob_McMillan said:
I'm kind lazy to get into a whole TV series right now
With that said - Firefly has only 14 episodes, so it's not like it would take that long to watch.

Bob_McMillan said:
I thought Serenity might be a nice intro into the universe.
In this respect, though, it actually wouldn't. It's not really the fauly of Serenity - it's just more...well, movie-like, so it doesn't spend as much time on the universe itself. It's more action packed which, while not bad by itself, may lead you to view the universe in a different light. I know one person who watched Serenity first which lead to different expectations from the series.

It's your call, at the end, for course.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Yes. I watched the movie before the show, and it doesn't really work. That said, Firefly is better then anything out on tv right now, so it's worth it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Technically no, but really yes.

Serenity on its own would be a very forgettable movie. It's main appeal is getting a climax and conclusion for the characters of Firefly. If you aren't already on board (hurr hurr) with those characters then there isn't much reason to bother with Serenity.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Well I mean I did and I'm still alive so it's possible.

But really it's better to watch Firefly first. Having no idea who people were and what they were like prior kind of detracts from the experience.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I did this 'cos I didn't know they were connected, it was a bit "who the fuck are these people" and the movie just assumed I knew them. Then I watched firefly with reminded me of that movie, then I realized they were connected. It added a little back story to the film but I don't think it was really needed.

Though in all honesty, it wouldn't take any time at all to watch the series and then you can watch the movie. You might as well but if you don't, you wont really lose anything.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd say yes, since it would help you understand the setting and the characters. It's not that long a series either (though some like me wish it went longer...)

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I would say yes, if don't you'l probably be able to get a handle on the plot well enough but you won't know who anyone is.

Serenity isn't a great movie anyway, it was a rushed attempt to tie up the Firefly plot because it got cancelled.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope. I never even heard of Firefly until my second viewing of Serenity, when the movie ticket guy mentioned that there was a tv show.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Need to? No. I watched Serenity and was able to understand it, and enjoy it, just fine without even looking at a trailer for Firefly. You're going to miss little nods and such, but the movie doesn't depend on people being familiar with the series.

That being said, I think you should walk Firefly first. A lot of the moments in Serenity did not hit me as hard as they should have because I wasn't familiar with characters and events as fans are. So if you're interested, I would say watch the show first. Plus, if I remember right, it's really short, so it's not like you're jumping into a marathon or anything.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Yes. Serenity takes place right after firefly, and you can have a feel for WTF is going on in the movie a bit more.

Please don't be discouraged by having to watch a whole series before a movie. Thanks to harsh reality, the whole series is only a few episodes. A mini-series really.

It can take work to get into a TV series, but you'll only have to watch the first episode to get hooked. It's good like that. And it can't drag on, because there aren't enough episodes.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
If you want to cut it right down to the bone, watch the first episode of Firefly (its a double episode, about 1h30min) and then Serenity.

That way you will get an intro to the characters and the setting. Serenity is set about 6-12 months after the pilot.

In saying that, Firefly is still a damn good series. Even 15 years later its still worth it. It will take a hell of a lot to push it out of my top 5 sci-fi series ever.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So...i watched Serenity a long while ago when i didn't know Firefly was even a thing. I do remember wondering why the characters all seemed so comfortable and chummie/bantery with each other, and some threat that was talked about as if it was the worst thing in the universe yet didn't seem that terrible during the film.
Stil haven't seen Firefly yet.

*Hangs head in shame*

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Secondhand Revenant said:
Yeah, but you're a Revenant. And a secondhand one at that. So you're less alive and more undead.

You see, people? This is what watching Serenity first does to you!

...sorry, couldn't resist, with yur username and choice of words. >.>

But yeah, just watch Firefly first. I know people who watched Serenity first, and it's not the end of the world, but it misses a few steps.

I got really confused when Mal beamed off Babylon 5 to use Nox technology to destroy the Death Star, though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, I would strongly suggest it. It establishes a lot of the interpersonal relationships between the characters, and explains why they're doing what they're doing. To skip watching the series first will leave (I think), some significant gaps in your understanding of Serenity, that will likely diminish the enjoyment of it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I watched the first episode of Firefly and didn't really care for it. However, I ended up watching Serenity later on and liked it. It's nothing special, but it's worth a watch. So no, I'd say you definitely don't need to watch the show.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Something Amyss said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Yeah, but you're a Revenant. And a secondhand one at that. So you're less alive and more undead.

You see, people? This is what watching Serenity first does to you!

...sorry, couldn't resist, with yur username and choice of words. >.>

But yeah, just watch Firefly first. I know people who watched Serenity first, and it's not the end of the world, but it misses a few steps.

I got really confused when Mal beamed off Babylon 5 to use Nox technology to destroy the Death Star, though.
Well I mean.. you got me there XD

The edited part where Mal shot the death star first was the worst.