Do me a favour and recommend me some music from 2013.

Jul 31, 2013
Well, let me start of by saying that I'm a huge fan of Todd in the Shadows (he's a dude on Thatguywiththeglasses.com that reviews bad pop music) and after watching his recent "Top ten worst hit songs of 2013" I've come to the realisation that 2013 was a horrible, horrible year for the (mainstream) music industry and that it should be purged from my memory as quickly as possible.

So, now that I'm feeling all down and depressed, I'd like you, yes you there, average Escapist user, to recommend me your favourite song(s) from 2013!!! It doesn't matter what genre or what artist, just the stuff that you like and want to share with me and the rest and the community.

The person that makes me feel happy again and maybe even gets me addicted to a new band, song or artists gets a virtual chocolate-chip cookie (no raisins, I promise!) and my eternal* gratitude.

*minor hyperbole

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
From the guy who is tragically out of date with popular* music and can't even name any new albums I have to go with these:

2013 was a good year.

[sub][sub]*by "popular" I mean any music that wasn't in a game, anime or featured in a gameplay video this year[/sub][/sub]

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age was my number #1 album of 2013. You might as well watch this video to get samples from some of the songs to see if you like it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That's because something bad has happened to Todd and he's been REALLY grumpy and snarly. I'm a bit worried.

No, seriously. Watch his "Demons" review again. I can't find anything wrong with the song, and he acts as though it killed his dog. What I'm saying is, Todd should be taken with grains of salt right now, because he seems to WANT to hate everything.

Anyways:

<youtube=Q04ILDXe3QE>

Track of the Year, 2013.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012

......and music?

Sorry, nope. Nothing found. 'Artists' like Lady Gaga, and Justin Beiber still exist. Music has been dead for years because we've lowered our collective standards and not truly listened to anything. Lyrics used to tell stories worth hearing, now all they do is point out what someone has or doesn't have.

Music has been dead to me for a long time.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Well, as a Brony I found plenty of excellent content made last year. Some based off the show's songs but others more original.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Music

There are a lot of songs on there of many different Genres.

Beyond there however I'm afraid i can't think of any. Sorry.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
It's not as good as their older stuff, but I really dug AM by the Arctic Monkeys

Kyr Knightbane said:

......and music?

Sorry, nope. Nothing found. 'Artists' like Lady Gaga, and Justin Beiber still exist. Music has been dead for years because we've lowered our collective standards and not truly listened to anything. Lyrics used to tell stories worth hearing, now all they do is point out what someone has or doesn't have.

Please tell me this is a joke

Aug 1, 2010
I thought Counting Stars was great.

Pretty much all of Random Access Memories was excellent as well.

lacktheknack said:
No, seriously. Watch his "Demons" review again. I can't find anything wrong with the song, and he acts as though it killed his dog. What I'm saying is, Todd should be taken with grains of salt right now, because he seems to WANT to hate everything.
I can see where he was coming from. I liked the song at first, but when I really thought about it, the tune was dull and the lyrics ranged from uninteresting to incredibly cheesy and melodramatic.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Kyr Knightbane said:

......and music?

So... as an example, what music do you consider good then?

OT: Livin the dream by Nurn the Ballroom, I think they need more exposure.

The funniest / weirdest thing is that I found this song through a pony music video, and it has arround 12,000 views while the original has around 1,000 views. (Granted the pony video is very good, but still...)

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Fraser Greenfield said:
Get your hands on the album megalithic symphony by AWOLNATION. Search con bro chill on youtube. enjoy and good day to you!
<youtube=rgMweTcrIYs>
Thank you.

No seriously. Thanks a lot for this.

Made my night

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Otis Taylor's album My World is Gone came out in January so I'm counting it.
Mike ford did a thing on about the war of 1812. Harvest Moon was really good. I think I enjoyed more than most because I was playing Assassin's Creed 3 at the time.
The Grand Slambovions did a folk album which had some really good tracks ( and a few not so good tracks on it)
Inside Llewyn Davis was pretty good.
There's always Daft Punk's Random Access Memories.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
ryan_cs said:
Kyr Knightbane said:

......and music?

The funniest / weirdest thing is that I found this song through a pony music video, and it has arround 12,000 views while the original has around 1,000 views. (Granted the pony video is very good, but still...)

Music I consider Good?

Lets just name a few Artists, Shall we?

Huey Lewis & The News
Journey
Kansas
ZZ Top
AC/DC
Metallica (Not ST. Anger or Some kind of Monster, both of those were dook)
Early Linkin Park
Megadeth (Certain Albums, probably greatest hits ones)
Everyone Dies in Utah

My tastes roam, but Music just doesn't really jive with me anymore. I'll listen to a band and forget about them after awhile. I tend to move with my own tastes but come back to the bands i've mentioned as I can stomach most of their stuff. Granted, i'm a bit of an older soul and tend to hate music that has come out recently because it's shallow and meaningless. Songs don't tell stories anymore, and they sure as hell don't make me happy when you hear someone who makes 200k or more a year just complaining. I hate it. So yeah... Thats why music is dead to me in 2013. I've no hopes for this year either.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
Format: Artist - Album

Little Green Cars - Absolute Zero
San Fermin - San Fermin
James Blake - Overgrown
Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic
Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
Mother Falcon - You Knew
The Neighbourhood - I Love You.
Los Campesinos! - No Blues
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

I haven't listened to the following fully through, but I have a very difficult time believing that they'd be bad:
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Trombone Shorty - Say That To Say This

I'm sure I'm missing some, but I think that this will get you started.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
Re-posting because I'm a lazy fuck:

OmniscientOstrich said:
Whilst there's still quite a few things I haven't given a thorough listening to just yet, these would be my picks for the best albums I've heard in 2013 thus far (in no particular order):

My Bloody Valentine ? m b v [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKjhgHGVZs]
Steven Wilson ? The Raven That Refused to Sing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w8SY_9yO8k]
Ghost ? Infestissumam [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkoIEbjbsM]
Black Sabbath ? 13 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8grID7sYkc]
Birth AD ? I Blame You [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETjTks4xSkw]
Shining ? One One One [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-1Or6chks]
Gorguts ? Coloured Sands [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg6bWoH_aUU]
Deafheaven ? Sunbather [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyVhIBmdGw]
Foxygen ? We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq19haZ0w7s]
Exivious ? Liminal [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkaLwZePdKM]
Ulver ? Messe I.X ? VI.X [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHEFDVSfvs]
Dreadnought ? Lifewoven [http://dreadnoughtdenver.bandcamp.com/track/nascence]

I haven't picked up/listened to nearly as many albums as I did last year, but at the same time I feel pretty confident in saying that 2012 was generally a much better year for music, part of the reason I was listening to more stuff was because I thought there was a lot more on offer.
Yo dawg, I quoted my quoted so etc. Enough of that nonsense, anyway these were my album of the year picks from December though I've now just started the process of looking back and giving the things I missed a whirl and I've unearthed my first gem in finding the 2nd Hip-Hop album that I actually like:

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I concur with the posters who mentioned ...Like Clockwork and AM.

My personal favourite album of 2013 was Controller by British India. Really resonated with me, and when I saw them live it only reaffirmed my opinion that it was great.

Asymmetry by Karnivool was also a fantastic album, particularly if you're into the more progressive side of rock music.

Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend deserves a mention, it's not something I'd personally recommend, but others have praised it quite heavily and I enjoyed it.

I'll also mention The Weight of Your Love by Editors, which had a couple of absolute gems (and to remind me I need to listen to that album more), and Spreading Rumours by Grouplove (only really listened to it once, need to give it repeat listens to confirm if my initial thoughts of it being good were correct).

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
SanguiniusMagnificum said:
Well, let me start of by saying that I'm a huge fan of Todd in the Shadows (he's a dude on Thatguywiththeglasses.com that reviews bad pop music) and after watching his recent "Top ten worst hit songs of 2013" I've come to the realisation that 2013 was a horrible, horrible year for the (mainstream) music industry and that it should be purged from my memory as quickly as possible.

So, now that I'm feeling all down and depressed, I'd like you, yes you there, average Escapist user, to recommend me your favourite song(s) from 2013!!! It doesn't matter what genre or what artist, just the stuff that you like and want to share with me and the rest and the community.

The person that makes me feel happy again and maybe even gets me addicted to a new band, song or artists gets a virtual chocolate-chip cookie (no raisins, I promise!) and my eternal* gratitude.

*minor hyperbole
some my favorites were (mostly metal)
I really loved her voice in rose for epona by eluveitie and being told about the kick starter I ended up backing enough to meet her whenever she comes to america
halo of blood is my favorite album them in so long it's like are you dead yet mixed with follow the reaper with a little hate crew death roll it was hard to pick a favorite from the album
it's amon amarth not much to say if you heard them before it's not too different (not that it's a bad thing we've seen what happened if you stray too far *cough cough* turisas 2013*cough*) but this my favorite from the album personally
What can I say about starbomb it's game grumpos rappin about video game stuff like the old man in the cave coming on to link or ash being absuive to his pokemon and getting shot for it I laughed from this album it was light hearted and fun
Kyr Knightbane said:
ryan_cs said:
Kyr Knightbane said:

......and music?

Music I consider Good?

Lets just name a few Artists, Shall we?

Huey Lewis & The News
Journey
Kansas
ZZ Top
AC/DC
Metallica (Not ST. Anger or Some kind of Monster, both of those were dook)
Early Linkin Park
Megadeth (Certain Albums, probably greatest hits ones)
Everyone Dies in Utah

My tastes roam, but Music just doesn't really jive with me anymore. I'll listen to a band and forget about them after awhile. I tend to move with my own tastes but come back to the bands i've mentioned as I can stomach most of their stuff. Granted, i'm a bit of an older soul and tend to hate music that has come out recently because it's shallow and meaningless. Songs don't tell stories anymore, and they sure as hell don't make me happy when you hear someone who makes 200k or more a year just complaining. I hate it. So yeah... Thats why music is dead to me in 2013. I've no hopes for this year either.
I do have some bands (maybe around power metal sound or symphonic (growls optional I know some people like them some can't stand them)) if you want something with story this year for me is looking up only for time 2 by wintersun (hopefully)