Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

Demgar

Jul 31, 2010
I bought portal/orange box based only on his review, and I don't usually play shooters of any kind.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
Yes, what he says influences whether or not I buy something. I have other sources too.

Obviously he trashes almost everything and I laugh at the jokes. When he mentions something which bothered him I can tell whether or not that would bother me too.

I feel like we learn more looking at it's flaws and I feel like a lot of reviews which are not as ranty and aggressive really just give an overview of what the game is and a feature list. If I wanted that I could just as easily get from the back of the box or the official website.

I want to know was it fun for the reviewer and why, what was annoying and why.

nightowl195

Sep 15, 2010
No. And I don't buy games that often either. I usually listen to reviews (not just ZP) to see if the game is something I might enjoy playing, then I rent it if I'm really interested. I can usually beat a single player game within that time frame. If it's something I really enjoy and one that I think has any kind of replay value I'll buy it but I'll usually wait until the price goes down somewhat.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Yahtzee's reviews are more comedy than they are review. They are extremely entertaining but I do not follow them as reviews. Also games are subjective yadda yadda...

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
He is the videogame reviewer that has more weight in my book. Unless I played the game before hand (like Alan Wake, which I love and he kind of doesn't like too much yet doesn't hate at all) I always follow his advice.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
No, but that's mostly because I'm a crazy completionist that only has time for games about an hour a day, so I only need a new title once a season, and I know far in advance what I'll buy...

...BUT I do listen to a critic here, namely Movie Bob. He has a taste that seems much in sync with my own, so when he said skip "The Expendables" I stayed the hell away.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
I never actually look at them as actual reviews. A humorous take on videogames, yes, but never as actual valid grounds for buying a game or not.

JonnyZOMG

Sep 4, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
I say that anyone who bases their decisions on him is an idiot, as he has openly said that he only adresses the negative aspects, as they're more fun to point out.
Fair enough, he aims to point out the negatives for entertainment value, but that's not to say some of the things he mentions aren't game-breaking enough to cancel out unsaid positives. No-one should base their choices solely on Yahtzee, but letting him sway you on a decision is fine, I'd say. He has valid points, especially when it comes to criticizing stale formulas and buggy gameplay, these things shouldn't be bought, full stop.

The point is, just because his videos are firstly entertainment, that doesn't discredit his views. I agree with most of the games he's done and find that most the contradictions come from when I play a game online, with friends, which he doesn't seem to.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
No. I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything.
The only reviews I totally agree with him on are stinkers like Fable 2 (oh hush, this game bored me to tears and I only rented it) and Too Human (also rented...holy shit was this one bad).

skennedy929

Aug 25, 2010
Yahtzee and I have very similar tastes in games, and most games he sh!ts on I wouldn't buy anyways because I know they'll suck.

Plus he considers Thief 2 an amazing game, so he obviously knows what the hell he is talking about.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
No way. As many people here have pointed out, his "reviews" are meant to be comedy, first and foremost. I no more let ZP influence my gaming purchases than I let Balls of Steel lecture me on ethics.