Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
AkaDad said:
Fappy said:
AkaDad said:
I was considering starting a thread on this topic.

I guess I'm not the only who's noticed all the new members and it's probably just pure coincidence that most of them are pushing the same views.
It's not coincidence. A lot of them have been exiled from various sites in which they were making the same argument and congregated here. It's not the first time it's happened.
I was totally being sarcastic. Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't translate well.
That went right over my head XD

Text is hard sometimes!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Perhaps a little, but I tend to pick up on someone's grammar and spelling much more. Not so much that I'll think you're mentally challenged for a couple of errors, but if you write like an idiot I'll probably just assume you are one. Quite a few new members tend to post poorly because they're younger, so I sort of do. I mean, if I go back and look at my first few posts when I was fourteen it's fucking cringeworthy.

I might have a bit more time for people that have higher post counts though, because you can clearly see they've been around for a while and can abide by the rules. Members with low post counts are a bit more of an unknown, but that doesn't mean I won't read what they have to say.
Honestly, it comes down to making your post readable. A lack of punctuation and basic rules of English, makes your post nigh unreadable to me.

this is not very easy to read you know what i mean hey hows ur momma

Man, that felt wrong just typing it out.

OT: Not really. I may not read every post, but I don't dismiss people with few posts. That merely means they haven't felt like posting. Hell, I probably delete 50% of my posts and never post. Usually as I really don't want someone telling me how I'm wrong because I have no interest in [insert game/publisher/developer/social issue/minor thing/etc here].

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Fappy said:
AkaDad said:
Fappy said:
AkaDad said:
I was considering starting a thread on this topic.

I guess I'm not the only who's noticed all the new members and it's probably just pure coincidence that most of them are pushing the same views.
It's not coincidence. A lot of them have been exiled from various sites in which they were making the same argument and congregated here. It's not the first time it's happened.
I was totally being sarcastic. Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't translate well.
That went right over my head XD

Text is hard sometimes!
It's all good. I understand, because I have lots of experience with things going over my head.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Darks63 said:
Your not the only one with that bias dude so don't worry. I personalty don't trust new users either unless they really show that they are not just sock puppet flame bearers or character players by being good contributors to the community.
So what is your definition of "good contributor to the community"? 'Cause i've been here for a while now and i really only drop a few posts in forums every now and again... Don't even get quoted very often anymore so i always feel like i drift by in silence.

As for the topic at hand: Maybe a little bit, although i always make a habit of staying out of the forums about major shit storms. The only time i was actually quite annoyed by the influx of new profiles that came and went like a class 5 tornado was during March Mayhem, i think. The Quinnspiracy and Gamergate shit just isn't something i'm gonna take part in and the feminism debates are a huge reason why i hardly ever get into the forums anymore. Point being that i don't really venture where the transient beings are most of the time so i try to pay attention to people's arguments, although... no avatar bothers me a hell of a lot more than low post counts.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
No. I generally actually find myself liking the guys that have a few years under their belt, but also only a few hundred to a thousand posts or so the most.

...So me, of course.

To be serious, I think a lot of high quality posters are in only the double digits or early hundreds on their post count. But it doesn't matter how high or low it is; it doesn't ever make me immediately dismiss someone.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I tend to give the new ones a bit more leeway in what they say. If you're coming from the other, unmoderated parts of the internet, it can take a little while to get used to how things operate here and watch what you say a bit more closely.

Low post just means you don't have too much to say generally. I don't post near as often as I used to.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Low post "agenda spewing" newbie (12 months) here.

It can often feel like it, but I don't necessarily think people do it on purpose here. It's like any community, it gets wrapped up in itself first.

But like anything, exposure and time are key.

I'm sure there are some here who discount anything I post because of my views, but I tend to be of the opinion that , while I might disagree with someones views on various topics, there are likely many many more topics we'll share and thus it's generally good to leave that kind of bias for those topics only.

Of course, directly insulting me for my views (and conversely my doing so too, of which I am sure someone feels like I have done) is an entirely different manner.

Stay around, make posts, respond in kind, and maybe recognition will come.

I think that's how it works.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Fappy said:
I am guilty of this. The only defense I can make for myself is that, well... I've been here a long time. I can't count how many times I have seen new members flood in the moment a big controversy hits only to wash away with it as soon as it's over. Many of these people don't really understand the forum environment and tend to spread a lot of unpleasantness. Obviously this is not the case for everyone and is the very same elitist mentality that gets us mocked on other sites consistently. Ironically, this site seems to have become a bastion more than once for the very people that mocked it (especially now).

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but do admit that I have a much shorter attention span/tolerance for newer posters. I don't think older posters are inherently more valuable than they are... it's just that I know a lot of people around whose opinions (which often differ from my own) I value.
Do you value my opinions, Fappy-sama? Has my overly-long blocks of gibberish essays pleased you? XD

On Topic: I don't believe I do. I know I tend to look at the join dates of people whenever they say something unusually hostile or stupid, but I only do that after I read the post and already form an opinion of it. It's more or less a confimation-bias type of deal - "this user is breaking like five rules with their hostility... oh, they're new. That explains it." Admittedly, it is interesting when it turns out to be one of the old-guard acting up. Happens more often than you might think, actually.

Anyways, I don't think I've ever looked down on a new guy until they've opened their mouth and given me reason too. Dismissing someone without actually hearing them out is a pet peeve of mine and is why I tend to lean on the GamerGate side of things (though I really don't want to get into that shitstorm here), so doing so to others would be horribly hypocritical of me.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty bad at this. I usually only read post from people I know, meaning, I've seen you post enough... or you just have a really cool avatar. Those under a thousand posts or have a pretty lame avatar, will not be remembered by Elfgore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
To be serious, I think a lot of high quality posters are in only the double digits or early hundreds on their post count. But it doesn't matter how high or low it is; it doesn't ever make me immediately dismiss someone.
There's a pretty high discrepancy on the actual number of forum posts vs. post count people have sometimes, though.

Me, for example. I've only actually got ~5650 posts on the forums themselves. User Groups count towards the post count though, so because I've been active in a user group over the past two years, I've managed to rack up a pretty high overall post count.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Don't even get quoted very often anymore so i always feel like i drift by in silence.
It happens to all of us.

Except Daystar.

The magnificent bastard.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Solaire of Astora said:
There's a pretty high discrepancy on the actual number of forum posts vs. post count people have sometimes, though.

Me, for example. I've only actually got ~5650 posts on the forums themselves. User Groups count towards the post count though, so because I've been active in a user group over the past two years, I've managed to rack up a pretty high overall post count.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Don't even get quoted very often anymore so i always feel like i drift by in silence.
It happens to all of us.

Except Daystar.

The magnificent bastard.
Maybe it's time i got one of those animated gif avatars like every other fancypants landmark!
Perhaps then the Escapist sempais will notice me...

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Solaire of Astora said:

I see. I didn't exactly take that into account when writing my post, though I did know about user groups increasing post count. I'm just not active enough within user groups or the community in general to ever amass a high post count. I'll be proud of my 1000th, though. Or it'll just fly by like the wind. Probably the latter.

/sob

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Maybe it's time i got one of those animated gif avatars like every other fancypants landmark!
Perhaps then the Escapist sempais will notice me...
It couldn't hurt!

(Well, it could depending on what you choose, but that's splitting hairs!)

I actually received more than a few PMs back in the day when I had some crazier Kyary avatars, though nobody has questioned me since I settled on this one.

It's not weird enough, evidently.

Solaire of Astora said:
I see. I didn't exactly take that into account when writing my post, though I did know about user groups increasing post count. I'm just not active enough within user groups or the community in general to ever amass a high post count. I'll be proud of my 1000th, though. Or it'll just fly by like the wind. Probably the latter.

/sob
I think you just need some jolly co-operation.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Elfgore said:
Yeah, I'm pretty bad at this. I usually only read post from people I know, meaning, I've seen you post enough... or you just have a really cool avatar. Those under a thousand posts or have a pretty lame avatar, will not be remembered by Elfgore.
With that attitude you're going to miss out on all my awe-inspiring and thought-provoking bullshit. ;)

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Solaire of Astora said:
No. I generally actually find myself liking the guys that have a few years under their belt, but also only a few hundred to a thousand posts or so the most.

...So me, of course.

Yeah I agree those forum goers are usually just super.

Ot: A low post count can mean it was an account created for the soul purpose of being a jerk. People often do that. However, I try to read what people say and just assess that, so if a low post count/new person has an interesting thing to say then I've no reason to dismiss them. And besides plenty of people with high-post counts can be not so nice too.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Fappy said:
Text is hard sometimes!
Just do what I do: pick out the text that's like mushy cereal, dip your nose in it to check its temperature, then slurp it through a straw while tapping your knee to the rhythm of "They're Coming to Take Me Away."

Usually does the trick. ;)

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Yeah, I generally do. However, the thing I look at more is join date. It's a simple thing, if you joined before me I consider you an older member and thus respect your opinion more than I would others. If you joined after me, but still post something interesting or useful then I also respect you. If you joined after me, have more posts than me (completely understandable) than I would look at the context of the person's post before I formed an opinion. I don't know if they changed it or not, but people used to run insanely high post counts because of the forum games, so that also factors into my perception of a poster. I remember a while back there was talk of those posts not counting towards your total, but I don't know if that ever went through.

Or there's always the people I remember, be it through an avatar, past pub club interactions, a funny username, or good posts that I remember. That happens a lot too.

The big thing though is if they can spell and formulate a proper sentence. I don't remember that being a problem before, but there were always a couple people (I think they've since been banned) that couldn't do either. I didn't care what they said, I just instantly assumed it wasn't worth my time.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What? No! I barely even pay attention to post count. Besides, it's not like having a high post count and/or being a long-time member is going to make you immune to making idiotic statements or strawman arguments.

Jul 9, 2011
From the other end of the spectrum, I find that people tend, for the most part, to take what few comments I make seriously enough to respond to them in an intelligent fashion. That being said, I too take a cursory glance at posters whose responses are less than engaging, and generally they tend to be in the 0-300 post range and/or joined fairly recently (usually within the last year or so).

It seems logical that that would be the point at which the forum naturally separates the wheat (the engaged, intelligent forum dwellers) from the chaff (those who just feel the need to bray loudly).

But blah. Anyway, I'm rambling. Interesting topic, though.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
AkaDad said:
Elfgore said:
With that attitude you're going to miss out on all my awe-inspiring and thought-provoking bullshit. ;)
*puts hand to ear* "Did I hear something? I do believe I did. Sounds like a lowly post count peasant trying to speak to its better. MODS! Remove him from my presence!"[footnote]Since this be the internetz, best to just say this a joke.[/footnote]