Do people dismiss new/low post members?

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
Dr. Crawver said:
ChaosBorne said:
Hithel said:
Low post count but been around since ages on this site. You were mere acorns when I was already an old oak. I think no less of you high post counters with join dates three weeks back.
and you are but a mere sapling to me :p
A god has graced us with his presence, fellow escapists. Let us bask in his majesty. Tell us a story of the ancient times, oh merciful lord.
Very well young one, hear me now

The Escapist was a different more peaceful place back then, the land had not yet been ravaged by countless flame wars, toxic threads did not yet cover the lands as far as the eye could see, one did not need to cover much ground to find a topic worth discussing, though through it all this land has endured by the blood of it's people.

but fret not about the past young one, look to the future, for it holds your destiny.

:p

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dr. Crawver said:
So I just want to know, do other people share this problem with me?
As someone who's been on this forum since 2007 I can tell you emphatically, without a doubt, that a lot of posters around here do this. A lot of them simply dismiss anyone that doesn't have a ludicrous number of posts. And even then, many around here will dismiss any poster that's not a part of the "site favorite" clique.

It's sad but true. And even sadder still is the fact that it's been getting worse as time goes on.

Oh well. :/

[edit]
Upon further study, I've come to the notice that it is far worse than I thought. Right now there are members of the "clique" derailing topics they don't like with nary a warning in sight.

It really is like the site's become "The Escapist Magazine: You're either a member of the clique or you're swine."
any recommendations as to how to try and put my bias's to one side?
Uh, yeah. Simple. You can do two things:

1: Don't assume new members or those with low post counts have nothing valuable to say. You'll find that these people sometimes offer more valuable posting content than even long-time posters.

2: Don't be a part of the "clique". It breeds exclusivity, not 'inclusivity'. It leads to an inherent dismissal of anyone not in the "in" group.

Follow those simple rules and you'll be fine.

Redlin5 said:
I have a life outside this site though, hard as that might be to believe... <.<
No you don't. Stop lying. Everyone knows there is no world outside of The Escapist.

gmcat

Aug 18, 2014
I've been a long time lurker, and recently decided to join when I saw someone make a comment I couldn't sit still for. I figured it would be fine, I'd make some posts and eventually get more involved. However, my timing seems to have been off as the Zoe'splosion (I wish I had an A-bomb gif) happened and most threads are becoming tired flame wars filled with s-throwers (and yes, I do even bleep out my own cursing). I basically have hidden in my bunker and even stopped coming to the site for a while.

It finally looks like a new day, and I should be coming out of my Vault-Tech more regularly as more threads are not about the isms. To be frank, I'm surprised some of the long standing members stand it as well as they do.

And since it was mentioned here several times, can anyone direct the noob to some instructions on setting up an avatar?

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Seeing as I have a low post count despite being here since 2008 my opinion really isn't going to matter for much, but personally I do not. I don't really see the reasoning behind looking down on someone with a low post count though. Besides not being a dick, it's not like there's certain hidden guidelines to posting on this site that you can only grasp by being here for awhile, so what's the point?

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
gmcat said:
And since it was mentioned here several times, can anyone direct the noob to some instructions on setting up an avatar?
Click on your profile ( top right of the screen ) and in your profile there is a menu of things to do, one of which is "set your avatar", or words to that effect.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Dismiss? I would say not until they passed the secret rites of secretiveness of secrets.

That, and I won't judge if they post meaningful content and don't try to sound like passive-aggressive jerks.

Foe-Hunter

Jun 1, 2009
I think there is a slight bias here. But I think that is true of everywhere Its so easy to set up an account to sock puppet you sort of have to be aware of low account posts, thought I also factor in the length of time their profiles been around for because they might be like me and I've been using this site (lurking more like) since 2007ish? but I very rarely post.

Edit,

After posting this it's shown me I've had an account for 5 years... but posted 6 times... Sorta says something XD

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
You're not alone, brother. I dismiss EVERYONE with less than 3,000 posts. I don't care if they've a smart, reasoned argument; it's nothing that a simple "Mad cuz bad," "LOLdidntread" or a picture of Willy Wonka or my cat can't solve. They haven't earned the right to have ME read their plebeian text. I mean really, how hard is it to post one, two or three thousand times? And before you say anything, the only reason I DON'T have 1,000 posts is because they keep getting deleted, due to my extremely--exorbitantly, even--high level of toxicity. My warning bar is infinitely bigger and redder than yours.

In all seriousness, no, I can't say I've ever felt that way. It's usually pretty evident by the OP if the poster is full of shit or not. And I've read plenty of posts and threads by veteran members that made me cringe a bit. If anything, I prefer the new blood.

Granted, I don't post all that much, so you're probably ignoring this anyway. :)

I WILL tell you that I always read the posts by people who use their own face as an avatar. Guys, gals, your face is infinitely more unique and interesting than any weird avatar you could dream up. Even it features spiders, llamas, milkshakes or any bizarre combination thereof.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
It is pretty simple: Especially in the case of the Burger&Fries chatlogs etc. it was very obvious which accounts were made by the people acting on one of the "two sides". I completely dismiss the opinion of these because their accounts were solely created to push the agenda of players active in the whole mess. Especially with the matter at hand nothing at all can be believed from less credible sources because of the amount of manipulation going on.
People with older accounts are less likely to be just their sock puppet whereas newer accounts might just as well be created by them just to continue their nonsense.

Aug 23, 2014
Hmm, this topic has an air of elitism.
But who cares what I say, I'm just a low post peasant.

Welp, back to plowing the fields, can't eat without crops you know?

Evil Raccoon

Ever vigilant
Oct 6, 2009
I do not always post, hell. I'm not even logged in most of the time. I mostly just look at the forum topics and think 'Eh, not really worth the time and effort to log in and write up a post' A cardinal sin, I know.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
This is re-great-table said:
Hmm, this topic has an air of elitism.
But who cares what I say, I'm just a low post peasant.

Welp, back to plowing the fields, can't eat without crops you know?
This was a good post. I like this post.

Though really it does have an air of elitism about it, but also a larger one of how we should curb it. For the most part I've not seen anyone say that being an elitist is a good thing.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I haven't been in the Escapist long enough to discern old members from new members like that (although I arrived before the Zoe Quinn thing exploded).

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I don't have this problem at all. I don't read the names attached to the comments. I can't remember names in everyday life, so I don't bother to try online. A number to the left doesn't change the substance of a post anyways.

FliedLiverAttack

Nov 29, 2013
Of course all people below 1000 post just aren't worth listening too. You shouldn't listen to a word they say.

Hmm, at what point would post count overflow and give the most postiest poster a post count of 0?

FlatCat

Sep 10, 2014
Dr. Crawver said:
I'm sure everyone's noticed the sudden influx in new members recently with the whole Zoe Quinn/gamergate debacle going on, and it's gotten me thinking about a bias I've always had, but never really discussed.

And that is that I don't trust/often dismiss new members/members with under about 200 posts outright. I know I shouldn't, and I at least try not to, but quite often I see an account with no avatar and only about 28 posts telling me how the entire industry is corrupt, or straw-man situations (don't try to say I'm straw-manning an argument here, my point is about those who do make the silly arguments. I know the gamergate movement has some valid points behind it, even if I disagree with it in general), and it just makes me turn off to far more intelligent points made by newer members.

At the same time I seem to have far more time for points made by some of the much older guard of the escapist (Fappy and Zachary Amaranth come to mind, though there are others).

I know we're all different people, with different opinions, and someone's length of time/frequency to post should not affect what I think about what they say. I just find it hard to actually follow through with this.

So I just want to know, do other people share this problem with me? Am I alone in this? And if I am, any recommendations as to how to try and put my bias's to one side?

I also know, in case anyone wants to point it out, yes I've been around for a silly length of time as well, and yet I post far less than my time spent here would suggest, which makes my view a little hypocritical to the long time lurkers on the site. Still can't help it.
If you dismiss me... you miss out on the wisdom that is Flat Cat.

:)

Aug 23, 2014
Dr. Crawver said:
This was a good post. I like this post.

Though really it does have an air of elitism about it, but also a larger one of how we should curb it. For the most part I've not seen anyone say that being an elitist is a good thing.
Ok then, might I add it reeks of it?

Although yes, as I read more of the posts, that seems to be the superior theme of the thread.
I do have to admit, snide or sarcastic posts are my favorite kind of posts.

And of course not, admitting to being part of the elitist club is politically incorrect! This is why it's a secret club!
A lowly peasants such as I shouldn't know such joy exists; cause eventually we shall envy and overthrow them!