Do rich characters deserve pity?

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
I'll put it simply

Money does not solve your promblems it simply hands you a new set.
True, but it gives you much much more leeway with your problems than if you didn't have money.
Not really take one problem is do women like you or your money. Your always second guessing your friends because you can't take anything at face value. Also the rich group makes back stabbing an art. Plus again dating and marriage is even more a headache. So new promblems

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
I'll put it simply

True, but it gives you much much more leeway with your problems than if you didn't have money.
Not really take one problem is do women like you or your money. Your always second guessing your friends because you can't take anything at face value. Also the rich group makes back stabbing an art. Plus again dating and marriage is even more a headache. So new promblems
If your rich and you have to pay 4k for car repairs, you can just pay 4k for car repairs. if your poor, you might have to choose between eating good food and being able to get around. Also, good medical and dental.

The problems you have for being rich are the kind of problems you would rather have.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Depends on their problems.

If it's something like "I have acres of land and fifteen cars but I want more" then no.

Still, money doesn't equate to happiness. Surprising as it may be to some, not everyone who's rich is inhuman. They still have emotions and problems in their lives. Some they can deal with using their wealth, or are small enough to distract themselves with something they can buy, but some tragedies are greater than money.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've been rewatching Black Butler recently on Netflix and I can't help but pity Ciel, even though he's a very competent earl of the Phantomhive estate and head of the family's very successful toy company. He is very competent and rich, however he is still very flawed and has been forced into a very unfair situation, in spite of all his riches. Being rich can give you more options, however it doesn't necessarily make life easier. Being rich can guarantee that you never go hungry or sleep on the ground (well, usually), however it can also make you a target for trouble. A poor man may suffer the discomfort of being hungry or the pressure of losing the roof over his head, however a rich man can suffer the discomfort of people trying to get their money or usurp them, and the pressure of being responsible for their company and all the people in their employ. Mental comfort is just as important as physical comfort, and having one doesn't necessarily guarantee the other.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
I'll put it simply

If your rich and you have to pay 4k for car repairs, you can just pay 4k for car repairs. if your poor, you might have to choose between eating good food and being able to get around. Also, good medical and dental.

The problems you have for being rich are the kind of problems you would rather have.
I dunno. I think I'd rather have problems getting money than wondering if the person I've fallen in love with actually loves me back, or if she's simply marrying me so that she can get a big pay day in a few years. Or the guys I'm playing poker with are actually friends of mine rather than people who will quite happily stab me in the back if they think that they can get ahead in our social group by tearing me down. I'd rather have my kids be struggling to get by than rich dilettantes who can coast by on the family name, where I can be reasonably certain that if they come home with an A on a report card, they've earned an A - and not pressured a teacher into giving them a better grade because it would make daddy happier, and a happier daddy will give more money to the private school, which makes for a happier school. I think I'd rather have extended family coming back into my life because they want to have a stronger family tie rather than wondering when they're going to ask me for money. Etc.

Really, it's not a matter of more or less troubles. Just different troubles. Some people - like yourself, I'm assuming - would prefer not to have to deal with money troubles. Some people - like myself - would rather not have to deal with relationship troubles.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
So your saying you were watching a reality TV show and found yourself not caring about their stupid problems? Good. Come on, you wouldn't care if it was a poor person with the same dumbass problems. If your problems are stupid, I don't care if your rich or poor, I am not going to give a shit. If you mother gets hit and killed by a bus being driven by a rogue narwhal you can expect my sympathy whether your a hobo or tony stark.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Money does not make one immune from problems. In fact it can cause more, because you're not worrying about food and shelter so mental issues can take a forefront. Ever wonder why you hear a lot of rich celebrities who have drug and/or alcohol problems? Money doesn't make one any happier, it just shifts your perspective.
Trivializing any person's problems because they may fall into a higher tax bracket than you is just stupid and insensitive and very prejudicial.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Tono Makt said:
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
Worgen said:
IceStar100 said:
I'll put it simply

I dunno. I think I'd rather have problems getting money than wondering if the person I've fallen in love with actually loves me back, or if she's simply marrying me so that she can get a big pay day in a few years. Or the guys I'm playing poker with are actually friends of mine rather than people who will quite happily stab me in the back if they think that they can get ahead in our social group by tearing me down. I'd rather have my kids be struggling to get by than rich dilettantes who can coast by on the family name, where I can be reasonably certain that if they come home with an A on a report card, they've earned an A - and not pressured a teacher into giving them a better grade because it would make daddy happier, and a happier daddy will give more money to the private school, which makes for a happier school. I think I'd rather have extended family coming back into my life because they want to have a stronger family tie rather than wondering when they're going to ask me for money. Etc.

Really, it's not a matter of more or less troubles. Just different troubles. Some people - like yourself, I'm assuming - would prefer not to have to deal with money troubles. Some people - like myself - would rather not have to deal with relationship troubles.
You have different relationship problems if your poor, most divorces and arguments are caused by monetary issues. And finding a way out of those can be tricky.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Eh, reality TV just sucks dude.

As for the people deserving pity? Well that's something you have to answer yourself. Personally, I find it hard to pity anything I see on television.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Pity for what?

Now, there's a lot of rich characters I really don't think deserve pity, because their problems aren't real problems. [small]OTOH, if I was rich, I'd probably end up complaining if my evil scientist built me a spider robot and it was an ugly colour or something.[/small]

OTOOH, if they were being chased by someone's spider robot, yeah, I can see why that might be a problem.

CAP: reverse the polarity

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
This thread reminds me of a documentary about a rich family who were building a home that resembled Versailles, and the wife was pretty upset over the fact that they wouldn't be able to have the 19 bathrooms that she wanted.

OT: Entirely dependent on the situation. I can still show pity to a person if they've lost a loved one, no matter how much
money they have. If it's a situation like the one I described above, I'm definitely going to have a hard time understanding.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I feel the idea of rich people not deserving pity comes from a place of jealousy. I sometimes too think 'Stop your bitching, you've got money.' Usually followed up by '...and I don't.'

And when you look at your own problems, how much of them would be solved by being rich? Unless you're totally strapped for cash and have debts coming out the wazoo, most of our problems remain no matter how much money we have. We'd still struggle with personal insecurities, being bullied or ridiculed by others, or just being depressed. Sometimes money can even add to that; The idea that you have all the money in the world yet you still feel unhappy would probably make you feel like you're at the end of your rope. Not to mention needing to manage all that fortune, and being a giant bull's eye for people who wanna rip you off.

The reason people in these types of soaps are rich is so that we can focus just on their personal problems, and don't have to watch them suffer through the drab of daily life. As well as have them wear nice fancy clothes.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Depends on the problem; most issues I've got can be cured with an injection of serious cash because that equals free time to address these issues the way I think they need addressing.

Losing a loved one (to time, violence, drugs or disease) will suck regardless - hell for the rich I'd wager it would suck even more because despite have access to the best they can afford, it didn't help. That would feel like a real kick in the balls.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I suppose money lets you burrow your problems more easily than actually solve them. Assuming that your problems cannot be solved with money. Rich people will die of cancer and pneumonia just like anybody else. Rich people cannot raise their dead or buy the love everybody craves for. Etc.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Also, more money usually means you have a bit more free time, whereas someone who's has to work a lot more (timewise) for the same amount has less time to deal with problems, or just relax.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
I feel the idea of rich people not deserving pity comes from a place of jealousy. I sometimes too think 'Stop your bitching, you've got money.' Usually followed up by '...and I don't.'
Well said, the way I see it is that people tend to downplay the problems of those who are ahead of them in certain ways, be it wealth, intellect or appearance. The grass seems greener on the other side and all.

I make an effort to not fall into that line of thinking. Just to give an example: I'll be the first to admit that I'm average-at-best in terms of looks, but that doesn't mean that I am grudgeful towards guys who are more handsome than me and assume their lives must be easy because they're better-looking.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Of course they deserve sympathy and, if their situation is a decidedly unhappy one, pity. I think everyone deserves those things.

It's just that sympathy and pity don't entitle you to anyone's undivided assistance and support. They just entitle you having others attempt to see it from you perspective, that's it. It's perfectly possible to sympathise with someone and still think them a spoiled ****. Sympathising just means you understand, or at least tried to, their sentiments and feelings.

So yes, rich people, even those horrible spoiled ones from reality TV, deserve your sympathy and, if applicable, pity. They deserve you taking a moment to attempt to understand their sentiments and feelings before judging them. You can still judge them however harshly you wish after that, you just need to take a moment to try and understand them first.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
If something bad happens to another human being, I will feel sorry for them. I don't check their bank balance first. Same goes for fictional characters if they're well written.

Rich and poor alike can suffer from mental and physical illness, bereavement, relationship problems, dysfunctional families, bullying, disappointment, or just having a really shitty day. Sure, in some cases a rich person might be in a better position to deal with those problems (paying for expensive private healthcare, for example), but it doesn't change the fact that no one deserves to get sick/lose a loved one/whatever and it will still be a deeply unpleasant experience.

I don't get some people's insistence on ranking people's problems as if there are a finite number of fucks you can give. That's the great thing about human emotion: you can love multiple friends and family members, you can respect multiple role models, you can care about multiple political/social issues, and you can feel sympathy for as many people as you want. Your pity for a starving child in Africa isn't lessened or invalidated by your pity for a rich friend whose pet pony just died...

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
A rich person will be as devastated about the loss of her child or dying from cancer, for example, than a poor person would. I do not see why they should deserve less pity (compassion) for that.

Money helps with some problems, but it doesn't help with all problems.