Do video games destroy brain cells?

wgmovies

May 26, 2009
Yesterday i was watching NCIS and in the episode Ziva said that video games lower concentration and destroy brain cells is that true or not?

wgmovies

May 26, 2009
whoops i meant are there any studies for it and yea i know its stupid to think that?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Yes.

NCIS is a bastion of scientific knowledge.

You should absolutely believe everything it tells you.
What he says. There is no better way to learn of technology than that show. OBSERVE!

Now, a lesser mind would probably yell "That's not how keyboards or computers work", a least mind would probably facepalm at the guy unplugging the computer at the end, possibly causing the loss of large, large sums of money and completely ignoring any forensic or network protocol, too by essentially letting the attacker go home free, for all evidence that could be used was wiped by the power outage. No, these are lowly people, who do not understand how everything truly works.

Exhibit 2:

Notice how everything they say is absolutely 100% correct and they manage to pack those 45 seconds with so much information, it's more like 45 hours. And if I could reference Cracked here

That summs everything up nicely - technology is actually black magic. No wander it destroys brain cells. It also feeds on your soul.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
No. Video games do not "destroy" brain cells. They cause neuroplasty (neural re-wiring to various stimuli), but so does pretty much anything. The only question you have to ask is "Do I like how this action is wiring my brain?"

Which, of course, is up to you.

It may be hurting your eyes, though, if the screen brightness is too high.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Yes.

NCIS is a bastion of scientific knowledge.

You should absolutely believe everything it tells you.
OP: Watch the video above. You will have your answer.
Edit: Oops, should have figured these videos would be everywhere.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
NCIS... mate you are picking up information from the dumbest show ever created, even youtube would have trouble competing with them on sheer stupidity.

And no there is no form of entertainment (unless it involves staring at a weapon grade laser) that destroys brain cells, but if you are replacing most of your time with particularly dumb content your brain will go lazy and logic problems you used to do without sweat will become the bane of your existence, which in turn makes you avoid them even more and the whole thing might become a cascading "fat man at McDonalds" problem.
Hell things might get so bad you end up as an NCIS writer...

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Everything destroys brain cells. You're continuously losing brain cells at the rate of a few million per year. Don't worry, you'll still have 95% of your brain left after a lifetime.

niknar266

Sep 22, 2011
I always laugh when my mum watches NCIS or CSI and they do a ridiculous depiction of technology.

If you're interested in studies on video games effects on the brain I don't think you have to look further than the escapist. Just hit the search at the top of the page they've covered a few studies on video games. Failing that you could try google scholar for linking to studies directly.

I'm too lazy to actually post any studies but I'm sure there are plenty in favour of video games for brain development.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure I would be either dead or too stupid to use a keyboard by now if that were the case.

TV gets pretty pissy about gamers anyway. Because we are playing games. Not watching TV.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
wgmovies said:
Yesterday i was watching NCIS and in the episode Ziva said that video games lower concentration and destroy brain cells is that true or not?
I think most of the good jokes have been taken, so I'll give you a serious answer.

As far as I know, the only things that can literally kill brain cells, at least at a rate that is faster than normal, are severe physical trauma and very intense drugs. The idea that "video games kill brain cells" is along the lines of what people said in the 30s and then in the 50s about movies and TV rotting your brains, in that they didn't really do any research and are just looking for bad things to say about it because they don't like what kids do for fun these days.

And for a general rule of thumb about things you do see on TV crime dramas--most of what they say about technology isn't true. In fact, just assume everything they say about technology isn't true until you prove otherwise. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches, and will become more attuned to spotting the hilarious mistakes the writers make in the process.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Mr.K. said:
NCIS... mate you are picking up information from the dumbest show ever created, even youtube would have trouble competing with them on sheer stupidity.

And no there is no form of entertainment (unless it involves staring at a weapon grade laser) that destroys brain cells, but if you are replacing most of your time with particularly dumb content your brain will go lazy and logic problems you used to do without sweat will become the bane of your existence, which in turn makes you avoid them even more and the whole thing might become a cascading "fat man at McDonalds" problem.
Hell things might get so bad you end up as an NCIS writer...

I felt my brain cells die while watching this

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Everything destroys brain cells. You're continuously losing brain cells at the rate of a few million per year. Don't worry, you'll still have 95% of your brain left after a lifetime.
Like the man said, just being alive kills brains cells.

There is no conclusive evidence from reputable sources that says video games damage brain cells in any significant way. Even if they did, our brains are quite good at fixing themselves. Recent evidence has shown that the brain is capable of regenerating, regrowing neurons and restoring neural connections.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
lolno.jpeg

However, for 2 years of upper secondary school, I did play games just to "kill my brain". I just played to forget school, not to have fun. That was terrible.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Games don't destroy brain cells, but the shitty science in crime dramas do. It's because of neurons and delta waves cross-interferring with the cellular matrix at a genetic level causing nodes to retrograde into submission. That's science because it has sciency words and so must be true.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Able Seacat said:
I just played games for 24 hours straight and I feel jsut fwefnwlggnwsodvi elrkfvmsldfk...
I laughed way harder than I should have at that. Bravo.

On Topic: Video games help hand/eye co ordination and are a mentally intensive process (well... most are) because you have to pay attention and keep avoiding danger or you die. This is why when people get tired and exhausted they often prefer to sit and watch TV than play a videogame: There is less effort required.

As for attention span, I don't know, but generally it has a lot more to do with being nurtured as a child and having a good upbringing than anything else.

And killing braincells... well that's a really complicated issue, but the simplest way to put it is... No, they don't negatively affect the brain or destroy it in any way, you are in fact learning as you play videogames (hence why you get better the more you play, and why you can remember songs, lines, plots etc. after a videogame: You've subconciously memorised them while playing the game, that was your brain working, not dying.)

ghostman725

Jun 8, 2012
The TV lies and certainly fictional TV shows. Games have developed co-ordination, reaction times and even simulate events.

Now getting kicked in the head a few dozen times, that will definitely kill off a few cells.