Do we all let sterotypes fuel our views?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Fun fact: in America if you ask realtor how they feel about a neighborhood you're looking at, they can't tell you because it's illegal for them to give an opinion that's probably biased. Surveys consistently showed that Realtors will give neighborhoods with minorities a lower rating than all white neighborhoods. It's not because they're consciously racists, especially since plenty of them were probably minorities. In the 50's, neighborhoods were actually rated by the government based on how white they were. That created a form of institutionalized racism that's lasted and people aren't even aware they're doing. Whether we want to admit it or not, we're all affected by stereotypes and generaliztions we aren't aware of. I agree with your OP, it's important to stop and look at things from another perspective

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Chaosritter said:
Riverwolf said:
Chaosritter said:
...violent, fanatic and aggressive machos that relentlessly attack anything and anyone that contradicts their believes and/or "honor".
Kinda sounds like the stereotypical Viking, or how the French and English portrayed each other for centuries, or how the Romans viewed pretty much everyone else.
The difference is that you don't meet many bearded, axe wielding swedes that spend their time raping and pillaging these days. I, however, encounter the kind of muslims I described every single time I visit certain parts of Berlin. And it's not an isolated case either, as Escapists that live in the not-so-glamorous parts of London, Paris, Rome and so on can confirm.

Besides, the vikings got their reputation for a reason, just like muslims did...
Okay, I'm not going to go into much detail; suffice to say that my experience is not the same at all; not one Muslim I've ever met has fit that description, but I live not ten miles from probably THE most dangerous town in Northern California (it's nickname among my friends is "you-will-get-shot-ville"); it's not populated by Muslims.

I will note, however, that your citations are from Europe, and I live in America. I don't know what European Muslims are generally like, as I've never been to the place, so perhaps things are different there (though to be honest, I wouldn't want to visit London period.) But Muslims here are generally like any other minority group: heavily and unfairly persecuted against but overall good people willing to be friends with people who aren't Muslim.

That said, while we probably will just have to agree to disagree (I've frankly defended Muslims and Islam on another forum to death, and I have no intention of saying anything more on the matter on this thread, just to keep the fires down), I think we can both agree that stereotypes are not all-encompassing, EVER, even if well-earned. I will concede that I wouldn't want to visit any Muslim country at this point, and if I ever visit Berlin, Paris, or Rome, I'll keep what you said in mind.

...though I will also point out that, while spending two weeks in Japan on a student exchange program, my host-mother took me to the high school, and... let's just say that, while she was a wonderful woman, her driving didn't really help the "Asians are bad drivers" stereotype in my mind.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yup.

And I have no intention of changing that.

Why not? Well... y'know what's never ever happened to me?

I've never met a person, formed a unflattering, stereotyped opinion of them ("jock" "deadbeat" "redneck" "thug" "God botherer" etc) and then had them turn around and prove me completely wrong.

But y'know what's happened to me plenty of times?

I've met a person, formed an unflattering, stereotyped opinion of them, then immediately told myself, "Whoa man, don't judge a book by its cover like that. They could be a really great person just waiting to be a great friend. Be open minded!" Then they've turned around and proved my initial negative impression to be completely and totally correct.

So these days I just stereotype away with abandon.

It applies to me too of course. If someone were to take one look at me and think, "Huh. I bet he's a quiet, nerdy guy with crappy social skills, lousy luck with women, loves sci-fi and fantasy and plays too many video games", then they'd be right on the money and no harm done.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Riverwolf said:
... I will note, however, that your citations are from Europe, and I live in America. I don't know what European Muslims are generally like, as I've never been to the place, so perhaps things are different there (though to be honest, I wouldn't want to visit London period.)
They're generally very nice people who occaisonally have to have a bit of a pray and the blokes really, really, really, love motorsport.

Other than that they're just like anyone else. A lot of the negative attitudes about muslims or black folks generally comes from the problems of impoverished, ghetto, neighbourhoods like the one you mentioned. The issues people put down to racial or religious groups tend to stem from their being poor people in Circumstances and immigrants with loads of money living in fancy places tend to not be the norm.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
everyone tends to initially think in stereotypes but the mark of a mature person is pushing beyond that
I think you should re-read what you just wrote there.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Thinking fast and slow? Daniel Kahnemann's description of System 1 "fast" thinking as opposed to system 2 "slow" thinking matches exactly what you experience. Humans make quick decisions about people based on limited information - usually fed by past experiences. This can be good - it means you can react quickly with response that are likely to be appropriate given what you know (a quick portrait assessment) of (what appears to be) a distinct social group.

However, we have to accept that our past experiences may give us faulty information about that group, and we may inaccurately assess someone to be part of that group, when they are not and the response we provide may be erroneous in our assessment of how well it might be received anyway. Put simply - it's very easy to be wrong. System 1 thinking will get us through the day, but it would be a mistake to believe that we are making accurate assessments about people without spending time with them and considering the matter more deeply.

There's also the halo effect, which is a known cognitive bias where humans tend to assign positive values to individuals that already have positive values. An attractive person is more likely to receive the benefit of the doubt. Attractive criminals get lighter sentences. Attractive politicians get more votes.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I'd go as far as saying that Stereotypes are quite important.

In my job there is a stereotype of fighter pilots as being ego filled, arragant and brash, and when I go to brief a room of such pilots I will pre-prepare it in a way that reflects this view. This is so that I can cater to the majority of the room when I get there, because most of them ARE that!

I have a hangover, and that's the only example I can give right now (because a fast jet pilot just walked past talking loudly and hurt my head, and that reminded me! :p)

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Generalizations don't necessarily cross into stereotype territory all the time. For example: if I hear about somebody who people say is a lawyer, I expect that they have a relatively high level of literacy and a better understanding of the law than the average citizen. Not 100% accurate for every lawyer, but a reasonable assumption nonetheless. As to how many stereotypes and what kind you apply to people you don't know, that probably depends on your background, your mood, the amount of time you've spent with other members of the group the individual you're considering belongs to, and how much thought you're willing to put into imagining him/her as a whole person instead of a cartoon.

This is not to condemn people who think in terms of stereotypes: your mind is your mind and you can't always control what it does. But I certainly don't think that in every case it's necessary to stereotype even as a shorthand.

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
Stereotypes are guided by what is known as our schemata. This is our world view, that is affected by our past experiences and shared knowledge.

When we first meet someone, our brains search for a schemata in order to provide you with topics of communication. Ever wondered why it feels kinda awkward to not be talking to someone next to you for an extended period of time? We're social creatures, and you have either exhausted, or consciously blocked your schemata for that person, and suddenly have nothing to talk about when your mind assumes there should be interaction.

Say you hear a refined accent from a stranger in a vacant public place. You might assume he or she is a professional, well educated and (depending on where this public place is) either local or non-local. These immediately give you conversation topics ("Do you work for a law firm/bank", "Which university did you go to", "What brings you to this area", etc).

It's stereotyping, but everyone does it. EVERYONE. Stereotyping just has a negative connotation because when people used to stereotype those that were stigmatised, it was named stereotyping and uneducated or ignorant people (in true definition sense, not being rude to anyone here) believe that the stigmatisation is attributed to that action.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Stereotypes, as has been mentioned, are actually how we organize our world into manageable chunks of info. Using stereotypes to discriminate and mistreat people is definitely not cool, but after working in sales for 4+ years I can tell you that they're super useful. I sold residential cable, internet, and phone service for Comcast and seeing sports paraphernalia all over a house was usually a good cue that I could talk about the sports package as an add-on. Fantasy books on the shelf? See if they want HBO so they can watch Game of Thrones. You get the idea. Stereotypes are not inherently good or bad, but simply means of organization. How we use them is really where it matters.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I personally use stereotypes to color my world until someone gives me a reason not to.

They exist for a reason and to dismiss them simply because they are generalizations is foolish and asinine.

If a black guy is wearing pants down to his ankles, I'm going to assume he's a gangsta until he gives me a reason not to. If a white girl is talking on her phone in a valley accent about a guy she fucked, I'm going to assume she's a clubber. They may very well not be either of those things, but it's entirely legitimate to assume they are what they present themselves.

THAT BEING SAID.

It is not legitimate to use stereotypes as an excuse to oppress or otherwise discriminate against that group. If you don't even give the black guy who's wearing pants down to his ankles to speak to you and show you he's articulate, then there is a problem.