Do we have any Mods on the forums anymore?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, they work in the shadows giving out warnings.

There was a new update on the rules saying that you can't criticize the content providers or mention past shenanigans.

I could get a warning just for saying this, even though I'm neutral about what the mods decide to do.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yes there are. I got a warning for something silly a couple weeks ago. I can't say that there's anybody handling appeals though. Haven't gotten a response yet.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Yeah, we're still here. Just not always got much time to post at the moment.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Yes there are. I got a warning for something silly a couple weeks ago. I can't say that there's anybody handling appeals though. Haven't gotten a response yet.
You may not.

I appealed a nonsense warning a month or two back, got a response from the CM confirming that the warning was indeed nonsense and shouldn't have been given but due to the current state of things there was nothing that could be done, enjoy your two week suspension regardless.

....Okay the response wasn't that flippant and it was nice to get word back at all. The whole thing just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
The mod team is most likely laying low right now considering that there are some really big changes incoming in the next few weeks/months. Not making too much of a fuss is a good idea when Pitts and his team are still trying to get the site off the ground again.

Now that the Ecapist is an actual gaming site with content updates again, the mod team is taking a step back and letting the owners sort things out. The days of a mod team that basically ran a defunct site from the kindness of their hearts are gone.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Specter Von Baren said:
Curious about this since I haven't seen any in a long time.
When you say "a long time", what timeframe do you mean exactly?

I ask because a mod stickied the new forum rules to the top of the forum not 2 weeks ago.

Sep 24, 2008
Gethsemani said:
The mod team is most likely laying low right now considering that there are some really big changes incoming in the next few weeks/months. Not making too much of a fuss is a good idea when Pitts and his team are still trying to get the site off the ground again.

Now that the Ecapist is an actual gaming site with content updates again, the mod team is taking a step back and letting the owners sort things out. The days of a mod team that basically ran a defunct site from the kindness of their hearts are gone.
I, for one, thank all of you mods for what you've done. These forums helped me through a continuous tough time in my life.

If I drank, I'd tilt one back with the lot of you

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
Gethsemani said:

I, for one, thank all of you mods for what you've done. These forums helped me through a continuous tough time in my life.

If I drank, I'd tilt one back with the lot of you
Damn... how what's the timeframe on that? It's only fairly recently that the forums haven't been either dead or infested with arguments over a certain topical issue.

Sep 24, 2008
Specter Von Baren said:
Damn... how what's the timeframe on that? It's only fairly recently that the forums haven't been either dead or infested with arguments over a certain topical issue.
My mother had her stroke in 2013. At that time, I was already taking care of my father while trying to work at the same time. I had to take care of them both.

A lot of people saw only arguments. And to be fair, there were quite a few. But I saw life and discussion.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
Specter Von Baren said:
My mother had her stroke in 2013. At that time, I was already taking care of my father while trying to work at the same time. I had to take care of them both.

A lot of people saw only arguments. And to be fair, there were quite a few. But I saw life and discussion.
Wish I could be so positive. I'm a bit too jaded by what I've seen on the net since then, not just on that subject or these forums but also in places like the League of Legends boards... so much illogical complaining and raging...

At any rate, I'm glad that you at least saw good in those times and that they helped you through some bad events in your life.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Gethsemani said:

When did your name stop being blue?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Elijin said:
When did your name stop being blue?
Some time last week when I stopped being a moderator. In the words of Ace Levy: "I am just here to fight post".

ObsidianJones said:
I appreciate it (and I am sure the mods do too), for me it was always about paying forward for all the good times this forum has given me. I figured I could at least see the Escapist go dignified into that long dark. Thankfully, Pitts and his crew came around and revived the site instead, which is a much better outcome then a permanent 404 error one day.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
They're probably just not needed as much in threads as of now due to the fact we now have actual owners and that jazz.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Just lurking, watching, judging.

Always judging.

[sub][sub]Especially you.[/sub][/sub]

[sub][sub][sub]You devient.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Just laying low, like Geth said, and just letting management get things in order behind the scenes so that we can know what to do going forward without stepping on some toes. I know I haven't been personally posting that much since Grad school is a hell of a drug thing. Once things are off the ground and in place you'll probably see us around more often.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I hope we get back to a point where we announce mod changes.

Dec 10, 2012
Gethsemani said:

It's weird, and don't take this as a complaint, but I kinda miss those days. I of course appreciate that there is new content here, and that there is no longer the specter of a sudden and final death hanging over the site, but it was kinda neat having a little enclave of people with no ultimate oversight. We had mods, but they didn't answer to anyone, no corporate mandates and no safety net. It felt to me like an actual wild west situation, where we were so far from a centralized power base that it all belonged to each of us instead of "Them."

I'm probably being stupid, but for a while The Escapist was unique in my online experience, and as someone who has always had dreams of being a frontiersman but never the ability or opportunity, I'm already nostalgic for the time when it felt like we were on the edge of civilization. Kings of our own castle. A crumbling, doomed castle with no glory left, but it was still ours.

I'll always remember and appreciate what the mods did in those days. It was a thankless job, and no one had to do it, but they did it anyway, in the name of keeping the community alive. Even as flawed and often divided as it was, we held together by our own will. I always liked being a small part of that.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
It's weird, and don't take this as a complaint, but I kinda miss those days. I of course appreciate that there is new content here, and that there is no longer the specter of a sudden and final death hanging over the site, but it was kinda neat having a little enclave of people with no ultimate oversight. We had mods, but they didn't answer to anyone, no corporate mandates and no safety net. It felt to me like an actual wild west situation, where we were so far from a centralized power base that it all belonged to each of us instead of "Them."[/quote]

I absolutely get where you are coming from. I was alright with being a mod when there was no owner oversight and there was just a bunch of dedicated users trying to keep the forums a good place to hang out. I feel less fine with being a mod now that there's an actual, dedicated owner running the show. That's not meant as an insult to Pitts and his crew, just my own feelings about the situation, which apparently are quite similar to yours.