Do we need a new Riddick Game??

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello friends,

In 2004 we witness a game based on Movie that is Chronicles of Riddick Escape from butcher bay.

it was so hit that it become even better than its mediocre movie as a result due to this game. vin diesel's Riddick character got popular. The game almost rival Half life 2 in 2004 as best FPS of that year and still its one of the greatest game ever ever made. everything the atmosphere, the story, the hand to hand combat, stealth, GOAT soundtracks and shooting all done amazing and it was one of the most badass game of its time. playing this game make me feel like badass.

then starbreeze release Dark athena. it was semi sequel/expansion with butcher bay remastered version in. and it was bland but butcher bay remastered save the package.

it make me realize why we still have not gotten another Riddick Game? there was even a movie that release some years ago but still no sign of new game. the developers left and made wolfenstein reboot which suck. the new riddick game would rocks today if it capture the magic of EFBB.

so my friends, do we need another riddick game? lets discuss

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
At this point no, 'cause it'd just be Arkham Asylum in Space or Shadow of Mordor...in Space.

As much as I enjoy that ninja pirate, Riddick is very...tropey. Very cliched. Maybe 7 years ago, but this day and age?

Also Emperor help us if they do a Riddick Battle Royale. In space.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wouldn't mind. Just make the game 3rd person. That way, the game will be a bit different this time.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Also Emperor help us if they do a Riddick Battle Royale. In space.
Honestly, a Butcher Bay Battle Royale would be awesome. First person view, confined spaces, lots of paths to move around (airducts, under the floor etc.) and mostly hand to hand weapons (with firearms coming in as supply drops), with a focus on sneaking up on other players and the zone shrinking by locking off rooms on the grid instead of contracting a circle. It could be a very novel take on Battle Royale.

What I think we need is any new, good stealth game though. The genre is pretty starved and any game with good production values is welcome.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sure. If you want a game riddled with DLC and questionable design choices. The industry has forgotten how to make games like that. No one wants to make a niche game anymore when they can instead appeal to the wider audience by making something generic. And since Riddick is Vin Diesel, who's a big Hollywood action star in case you forgot, that's exactly what would happen.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
. The industry has forgotten how to make games like that.
I agree. it was the most badass game of its time. i mean look at this ost

easily one of the greatest of all time. game was pure masterpiece.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
And since Riddick is Vin Diesel, who's a big Hollywood action star in case you forgot, that's exactly what would happen.
One should remember that Vin Diesel helped bankroll the first game and, as far as I understand, pretty much did his voice work and lent his appearance pro bono. Diesel is an avid gamer and considering his track record with games, he's probably the best choice for a movie star that would understand the interest of a niche market.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Im confused by the assertion that this game created a significant bump in the popularity of the IP. The IP may not have been a blockbuster, but it had a tidy little cult following. I remember this game largely flying under the radar for people who werent already interested in that.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I would totally be down for a Battle Royale in Space. Whether on foot in confined corridors with oxygen being something you need to scrounge, or in starfighters you need to zip around finding bits to bolt on to them, they both sound pretty sweet

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
It had good stealth or hand to hand? I ... no? Like, no.

I liked Escape from Butcher Bay and Dark Athema, but it had glaring fucking issues. Like how the gun reticle flt floaty and more 'suggestive' ... how stealth was little better than Shadows? ok. Not shadows? Not okay...

The checkpoint saving could literally invalidate your game ...

How stealth boiled down to shooting out lights, and the game consciously took that onboard and just rewarded you with an unlimited round stun gun just so that you could always be with the capacity to shoot out lights. It was a good game and Butcher Bay had a phenomenal story. But it was more a hotch potch of aspects that it achieves in a loosely acceptable way, mixed with some glaring visual and technical problems.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chronicles of Styx? Shards of Riddick? [small]Granted, there's no hunky manly man famous actor dripping with masculinity to assume identity as, instead more of a chainsmoking hobbit William Dafoe if we're being generous.[/small]

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gethsemani said:
Adam Jensen said:
And since Riddick is Vin Diesel, who's a big Hollywood action star in case you forgot, that's exactly what would happen.
One should remember that Vin Diesel helped bankroll the first game and, as far as I understand, pretty much did his voice work and lent his appearance pro bono. Diesel is an avid gamer and considering his track record with games, he's probably the best choice for a movie star that would understand the interest of a niche market.
This. For the cynics in the audience, there are plenty of developers/publishers that won't screw you over with DLC and season passes. Devolver Digital and THQ Nordic being the start. In the hands of people like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, yes, but Vin is smart enough not to get involved with them.

Oct 22, 2011
We don't need one, but we could get one. Not sure if i'd want one after Dark Athena.
Played it recently for the first time, looooong after Butcher Bay, and... i don't remember Riddick being THAT much of a hardass, one-liner, gravel-chewing, bad mothafucka taken to the point of rid(d)icule, EXCEPT played completely straight.
Other than that, at least if they'd improve from DA levels, it could be something good.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Butcher Bay was fun, but I played it a loooong time after it came out so everything it was known for had been done more polished in later games, but was still fun. Dark Athena though felt unfinished, like the whole world felt empty and didn't improve on the first game in any way. The focus on hand to hand combat isn't something that can carry a game alone anymore, so it would need to improve a lot to compete anymore.