Do we posess a soul, or is it all chemical?

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
GLo Jones said:
Sougo said:
Well I for one do believe in a soul. My reasoning is this:

Scientists/Science cannot 'construct' a human, or really anything living by themselves. Even if they clone an animal, they have to implant it into a surrogate mother in order for it to be 'born.' In other words they could construct a being capable of living (something like Frankenstein) and plant in it a beating heart, a functioning brain and everything ... but this 'creation' will not live, as its missing a soul.

Heck, scientists cannot even 'create' bacteria ... they have to rely on other bacteria to do the reproducing in the 'natural' way.
I think you'll find the reason we can't yet literally 'create life' is because we still haven't worked out the minuscule and seemingly endless details of DNA. All life on our planet is derived from it, and yet it is so complex, that we cannot create our own yet. We must use pre-existing DNA for the time being.

DNA is the only thing stopping us, and even that's just a load of chemicals bound together in particular forms.
Actually, the Human Genome Project was concluded years ago. The full human genetic code was 'decoded.' Human Genetics is now very well established. Also DNA can easily be cloned now, and genetic engineering is a very realistic possibility. In other words, we pretty much know everything there is to know about human DNA.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Well this can be a touchy subject but plainly put, as respectfully as possible, biologically no there is no soul.

It is more of a philosophical/spiritual idea to ease into the idea of life and death. If it unease's you then it's best to not think about it.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I don't know. The idea of it all being just chemical reactions is an easy conclusion to make, but it still leaves many unanswered questions. This is one of those questions in philosophy that many men far more intelligent than myself have asked, come up with answers, and were lucky if their idea lasted a month or so before someone found a fatal flaw that destroyed it.

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter". - Master Yoda

In my own humble opinion, I do believe that each and everyone of us has a soul, but not, I suspect, in the way that is commonly believed or accepted. A soul is, more or less, the life force (I saw this term mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread) within each of us. It is the entity that gives us hopes, dreams, fears, love, independent thought, and much more. Though many attribute these abilities to chemicals and their reactions, to me, this seems almost too simple an answer for such a complex and many-layered idea that we call a soul.

How boring, drab, and utterly pointless would our lives be if they were to just end in a proverbial puff of smoke. What joy can we take in life if we only know that, when we die, there is only a black void that awaits us? I don't know about the rest of you, but believing that we are all going to die without any sort of afterlife is a frightening thought indeed, albeit one that has no proof against it. Perhaps this is me simply rationalizing my own inevitable doom, but, from what I can tell of nature, life is not something that ends, rather it continues in an endless cycle. Maybe life is something without an ending or a beginning; life just is.

In my opinion, a soul is a mark of the life we are so graciously blessed with; a sign of continuing, not ending. Though our bodies may decay and pass back to the earth from whence they came, our souls are something that will never die. Our bodies are hosts to our souls; physical entities that house our very thoughts and emotions. So when we die, or rather, when our bodies fail, our souls go through a transition to a new host, though, admittedly, I have no idea what that new host might be. Quite frankly, I haven't thought that far into it yet, though I'm guessing such matters are beyond human comprehension.

I don't know, as a raised Catholic, I was taught to believe in an afterlife with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates with white, puffy clouds; the whole bit, but, when you think about it, that conclusion contradicts the whole "life is a cycle" thing. The idea of heaven seems more of a reward than a continuation of life. But I'm afraid that I have probably gone dreadfully off-topic, but whatever. That is my idea of a soul, though, it seems, my idea is a little more abstract (and therefore more weird) than most people's ideas here, however, that is my take on the subject.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:
I like to think when we die, we turn into ghosts. Thinking we have a soul makes thinking we turn into ghosts more likely.
what kind of ghosts do you mean?
I'm not entirely sure, if I'm honest. I've always had that cartoony image in my head, of it being us as we were, but invisible. And we don't have legs, we have the wispy thing.
But for all I know, we could be those little specks some people think are ghosts. The fact we hang around after we're gone is as far as I go into it, really.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
There is no soul beyond the laws of how Universe works. If you don't believe me, look at some Hubble telescope shots and you'll see just about how much a soul can come out of an infinity.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Sougo said:
GLo Jones said:
Sougo said:
Well I for one do believe in a soul. My reasoning is this:

Scientists/Science cannot 'construct' a human, or really anything living by themselves. Even if they clone an animal, they have to implant it into a surrogate mother in order for it to be 'born.' In other words they could construct a being capable of living (something like Frankenstein) and plant in it a beating heart, a functioning brain and everything ... but this 'creation' will not live, as its missing a soul.

Heck, scientists cannot even 'create' bacteria ... they have to rely on other bacteria to do the reproducing in the 'natural' way.
I think you'll find the reason we can't yet literally 'create life' is because we still haven't worked out the minuscule and seemingly endless details of DNA. All life on our planet is derived from it, and yet it is so complex, that we cannot create our own yet. We must use pre-existing DNA for the time being.

DNA is the only thing stopping us, and even that's just a load of chemicals bound together in particular forms.
Actually, the Human Genome Project was concluded years ago. The full human genetic code was 'decoded.' Human Genetics is now very well established. Also DNA can easily be cloned now, and genetic engineering is a very realistic possibility. In other words, we pretty much know everything there is to know about human DNA.
Well by certain definitions, we've completely sequenced the Human Genome, but the HGP was never concluded, and continues to publish new material.

You're saying we can't create life without using pre-existing DNA, but the reason for that is that we still don't know [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Genome_Project#State_of_completion] the exact chemicals and sequences needed to create fully functional DNA. Besides, it's so ludicrously complex that it would be impossible to create with our current level of technology.

In the future, when we know exactly what to put where, and have the technology to perform such an enormous task, then we could create life.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:
I like to think when we die, we turn into ghosts. Thinking we have a soul makes thinking we turn into ghosts more likely.
I'm not entirely sure, if I'm honest. I've always had that cartoony image in my head, of it being us as we were, but invisible. And we don't have legs, we have the wispy thing.
But for all I know, we could be those little specks some people think are ghosts. The fact we hang around after we're gone is as far as I go into it, really.
would you be aware that you are a ghost? could you see other ghosts? :p

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:

Of course. There'd be big ghost get togethers and they'll all have awesome drunk ghost parties.
But seriously, I have no idea. If I'm right, I suppose we'll find out once we've kicked the bucket.

Haven't we gone way off topic already though? I mean, wasn't this thread about souls before?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well "soul" (or "personality" to an atheist) could simply be the "more than the sum of its parts" description of what those chemical processes transform into. Just like "Chair" if more than the physical materials each chair consist of and angles they're posed in, but (also) an entirely different - separate even - concept sparking new meanings, so could "soul"(/"personality") be.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
well, in my unimportant opinion it is just all chemicals and chance that it came to be, death is like a dreamless night, would make the most sense.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:
Kragg said:
FreelanceButler said:

Of course. There'd be big ghost get togethers and they'll all have awesome drunk ghost parties.
But seriously, I have no idea. If I'm right, I suppose we'll find out once we've kicked the bucket.

Haven't we gone way off topic already though? I mean, wasn't this thread about souls before?
tiney offshoot thought that really didnt deserve another topic but still interesting enough to share with the topic and not in pms, grey areas *shrug*

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
esin said:
KEM10 said:
esin said:
KEM10 said:
Now, since all things are made of matter and have weight, that 3/4 of an ounce could be assumed to be your soul.
Ask yourself this; if none of us feared death, would we really even have come up with the idea of a soul in the first place? It just sounds like wishful thinking.
Fun fact, he wasn't trying to prove you have a soul, he was attempting to disprove dead weight (the theory that you gain weight while dieing which explains why it is harder to move towards the end of life). It was after his first test that he saw the weight loss and thought he screwed up. Then it happened 3 or 4 more times, excluding the ones where the methodology was ruined. One scale was tampered with so no accurate reading was recorded (guy lost too much weight) and another died within 5 minutes of hitting the table so no baseline was formed.

I don't fear death, I just find this test fascinating and it is a form of scientific proof that there is a soul. Only problem is that it needs to be done again with modern technology to lock it into place for a full debunk or prove.
Fun Fact, I was never disputing what he was testing or proving. I was disputing your baseless view that is 'scientific proof of a soul'. Absolutely nothing was proved there save for the fact that weight was lost and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that that weight had anything whatsoever to do with a 'soul'. That's just playing a game of Ad-Libs with things you don't yet fully understand.
The loss of weight at death that came from nothing physical that they could find so they hypothesized that it could be a soul. Yes, that is me hunting the internet in hopes that "my views" have some shred of backing to them.

If you saw my other post, this is more of an attempt to bring in the scientific to support the religious, not me clenching this flag and standing against the atheists. It is a study that was cut short that could have proved there is a soul. It is more of a conspiracy theory than an ad-lib, if you want to label it as such, but it is there. What "scientific proof" do you have for the soul not existing? Religion being wrong before is not a basis for saying the Bible is nothing but lies.

mdk31

Apr 2, 2009
KEM10 said:
esin said:
KEM10 said:
esin said:
KEM10 said:
Now, since all things are made of matter and have weight, that 3/4 of an ounce could be assumed to be your soul.
Ask yourself this; if none of us feared death, would we really even have come up with the idea of a soul in the first place? It just sounds like wishful thinking.
Fun fact, he wasn't trying to prove you have a soul, he was attempting to disprove dead weight (the theory that you gain weight while dieing which explains why it is harder to move towards the end of life). It was after his first test that he saw the weight loss and thought he screwed up. Then it happened 3 or 4 more times, excluding the ones where the methodology was ruined. One scale was tampered with so no accurate reading was recorded (guy lost too much weight) and another died within 5 minutes of hitting the table so no baseline was formed.

I don't fear death, I just find this test fascinating and it is a form of scientific proof that there is a soul. Only problem is that it needs to be done again with modern technology to lock it into place for a full debunk or prove.
Fun Fact, I was never disputing what he was testing or proving. I was disputing your baseless view that is 'scientific proof of a soul'. Absolutely nothing was proved there save for the fact that weight was lost and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that that weight had anything whatsoever to do with a 'soul'. That's just playing a game of Ad-Libs with things you don't yet fully understand.
The loss of weight at death that came from nothing physical that they could find so they hypothesized that it could be a soul. Yes, that is me hunting the internet in hopes that "my views" have some shred of backing to them.

If you saw my other post, this is more of an attempt to bring in the scientific to support the religious, not me clenching this flag and standing against the atheists. It is a study that was cut short that could have proved there is a soul. It is more of a conspiracy theory than an ad-lib, if you want to label it as such, but it is there. What "scientific proof" do you have for the soul not existing? Religion being wrong before is not a basis for saying the Bible is nothing but lies.
Using a sample size of six, wherein two had to be discarded due to a huge margin of error, is extremely unconvincing. Also, MacDougall's results have never been duplicated in following tests. When one study gets one result, and several get another, it's far more likely that the one was flawed.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
mdk31 said:
Using a sample size of six, wherein two had to be discarded due to a huge margin of error, is extremely unconvincing. Also, MacDougall's results have never been duplicated in following tests. When one study gets one result, and several get another, it's far more likely that the one was flawed.
There was a pattern, but it is too small of a sample to fully determine if it is true. He actually stated in his paper that he needed more cases to fully prove it. But what other tests sure are you talking about? I haven't heard of anyone repeating his tests.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
I think of human consiouness as like Computers,when a computer is turned on(a human is born) you know that as soon as it is turned off(the human dies) the computer will cease to function,but if the computer is turned on again(the human is revied) it functions as normal. Though think of it like,the computer can only be turned off once,as it can never(except in extremelly rare circumstances) turned back on again.

This is also why I don't believe in reincarnation, your 'soul' doesn't go anywhere when you die, your body is your 'soul',when you die so does your 'soul'.And it is pretty much fact that bodies are extremelly easy to destroy,extremelly hard to revive,and impossible to keep immortal. Think of debunking reincarnation as in, if a computer is turned off,all of it's data will somehow form in another computer that is made,even though the computer already exists,it is just turned off.