Do we want realistic graphics?

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
A thought popped in my head while looking at Batman: Arkham Asylum. I noticed how god damned near realistic the graphics were. Yet there was something about it that you could TELL was not real. NO, I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE A POLL. My question is should games really strive for realistic graphics? Even games like Drake's Fortune still don't LOOK real, they just get damned close. I personally feel that the reason we play games is the charm of watching millions of pixels emote and talk like humans, all the while knowing that it isn't real. I dunno, I would feel quite bothered to see exact representation of reality in a game.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
It all depends on the game. An FPS should (if thats their style). But something like Pokemon? O god no.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
No not really. I play games to escape my crappy reality. I don't want to be reminded of it's crappyness. That's why I love games in a Sci-Fi setting.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
More realistic animation than anything would be appreciated. That and physics and fully destuctive environments. But I'd love improved graphics, a long way to go for realism though.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
"Realism" in games is horribly immersion breaking. Mainly because real life isn't brown and grey.

Either way fuck it, give me some Jet Set Radio acid trip any day.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Yes indeed,a anything to add to the immersion, but it sounds like you don't play games for immersion.
Oh............maybe...

I don't think superb graphics are the best way to go to immersion. Between say, Bioshock and Drakes Fortune I see little difference. Once you get to a certain point going beyond it is not going to make as much of a difference as a lot of less technical but more creative things will.

-----

I say we shouldn't forget about how great the other side of the uncanny valley can be.

Jak 2 just has so much more freedom to be inventive than Call of Duty.

Let's face it, reality is limiting.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
I don't want them to try and be real. I want them to make something fake and make it look real.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
WayOutThere said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Yes indeed,a anything to add to the immersion, but it sounds like you don't play games for immersion.
Oh............maybe...

I don't think suberb graphics are the best way to go to immersion. Between say, Bioshock and Drakes Fortune I see little difference. Once you get to a certain point going beyond it is not going to make as much of a difference as a lot of less technical but more creative things will.

-----

I say we shouldn't forget about how great the other side of the uncanny valley can be.

Well, when I think of realistic graphics I think of graphics that enable anything [i/]no matter how unrealistic it is[/i] to look great. So Jak 2 could easily have had more realistic graphics but still be an unrealistic game. Maybe my distinction is too slim though.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
KarumaK said:
"Realism" in games is horribly immersion breaking.
I think there is some uncanny valley effect here. The more realistic graphics get, the less likely we'll be able to accept them.

Although if a game is good, graphics aren't necessarily going to break immersion. Not as much as the long loading time it takes to render them anyway.

Not to mention the sheer amount of time that goes into graphical quality and then making it all work.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
WayOutThere said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Oh............maybe...

I don't think suberb graphics are the best way to go to immersion. Between say, Bioshock and Drakes Fortune I see little difference. Once you get to a certain point going beyond it is not going to make as much of a difference as a lot of less technical but more creative things will.

-----

Well, when I think of realistic graphics I think of graphics that enable anything [i/]no matter how unrealistic it is[/i] to look great. So Jak 2 could easily have had more realistic graphics but still be an unrealistic game. Maybe my distinction is too slim though.
Its not a slim distiction; you have a good point.

What it is is a distinction in terminology. Its reality that is limiting not "realistic" graphics. The uncanny valley can be put aside.

Yes, in this case we do want "realistic" graphics.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Yes and no. Yes I want realistic graphics in a realistic game. I want unreal realistic graphics in an unreal game. Confused? Well so am I so let me try and decipher that. Say I am playing a medievil fantasy game. I want the graphics to be realistic in that setting. I want to see realistic orcs, dragons and goblins. I want to see weathermarkings on the walls of the castle. I want to see my character change how his/her armor looks when I switch from leather to platemail.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
WayOutThere said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
WayOutThere said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Oh............maybe...

-----

Its not a slim distiction; you have a good point.

What it is is a distinction in terminology. Its reality that is limiting not "realistic" graphics. The uncanny valley can be put aside.

Yes, in this case we do want "realistic" graphics.
Alright, I wasn't sure what type of "realstic" he meant.

megadude_09

Sep 7, 2009
Curtmiester said:
It all depends on the game. An FPS should (if thats their style). But something like Pokemon? O god no.
I WANT TO SEE POKEMON AS REALISTIC AS POSSIBLE...if only for a second...it might get scary after that

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
No I love my Mario
super realistic mario sux...
now I just wait for the escapist on here with the Realistic mario pic

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I play games to escape reality, not dive deeper into the chest hair of a grizzled space marine, so no.