Do you believe money cannot buy happiness?

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Uhh, fuck no? Money can buy all the right conditions to be happy.

Main things that depress me come from the society I'm forced to interact with every day. Superstitions, idiocy, stupid traditions, and so on. With "infinite" amount of money, hell, even a few billion bucks, I could isolate myself from having to have a job in such a society, and live a good life doing what I like.

And, you know, use some of the money to change everything in my interests.

"True happiness", "true love" and all the similar terms are delusional bullshit. At least if you don't have to worry about some of the main sources of depression among most people, things of social status, inability to affect the surrounding, being the ***** in a corporate circle-jerk, lack of funds (duh), you know, most of the problems most people face in their lives.

With money, all of that disappears and all you have is existential depression, which is gonna be there anyways unless you delude yourself that the universe gives a fuck or accept that it doesn't and abstract problems which sure as hell are better then what you'll be getting rid of.

" I can't find someone I truly love" sure as hell is better then "I can't spend another day at this shitty job but if I don't go, I won't pay off my mortgage and I'll end up a fucking bum", you know?

Also, you know, the best quality drugs and entertainment.

Money can buy you happiness, and whoever tells you it can't just wants to control you and keep you believing into some non-existent shit so you have false hope before you while you slave away the only real possessing you've got, your one and only chance at life.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
The Normish said:
The important thing is to not interpret it as "people with money cannot be happy," because that is false.
More of "money is not the cause of happiness."
If money buy or otherwise give you access to the "true' cause of happiness, what's the difference?

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
The love of money is the root of all evil, isn't that how it goes?

I won't lie, I'd be happier if I was a little more financially secure. But having tons and tons of money alone wouldn't make me happy.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
The Normish said:
Billion Backs said:
The Normish said:
The important thing is to not interpret it as "people with money cannot be happy," because that is false.
More of "money is not the cause of happiness."
If money buy or otherwise give you access to the "true' cause of happiness, what's the difference?
Well, you can be happy and rich, right?
But becoming rich does not guarantee happiness, it can however facilitate it. Perhaps I'm taking the expression too literally. Money itself cannot make you happy. If you can take a world tour using the money, you can be happy.
That's kind of like saying "Having food cannot make you fed, but if you actually eat the food you will be!".

You know? Money is a unit used for trade. If we assume certain items and services you can trade for money can make you happier, then owning money will pretty much lead to happiness. Unless you're like Scrooge McDuck and prefer to just own money instead of, you know, using it.
Although, I suppose, swimming in money probably still counts as a use, especially if it makes you happier.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
With unlimited money, you don't have to work, you can hire people to clean, wash, cook etc for you, so you can basicly rid your life of most borring tasks, which gives you way more time to do whatever you want.

With unlimited money, you're way less limited in what you can do. tired of the whether, go somewhere else, want a new game, buy it, want a new game on a console you don't have and want top play it with your friends, buy a bunch of tv's and consoles and copys of the game and invite them over. Anything money can buy, you can have, anything you can do/buy for money, you can do/buy.

And to adress the part many people will probably use as an argument for "no, money can't buy happiness" would prolly be love.
I don't think you can buy love, you can buy sex, but thats a completely different thing.
But with the 2 above paragraphs in mind, you're way less stressfull, way happier, way les bussy, so you remove lot of potential relaionship problems, beeing able to do whatever you god damn feel like, you're less in risk of a relationship dying out due to borring routines etc.
On the flip-side, it ´might be kinda hard, to be that wealthy, cause you'll have to distinguish between people who lieks you (or in case of serious relationships, love you) and people who fakes it, and only likes your money, and the posibillities it brings to be your friend/lover/etc.

As a last note, money can't really cure depression and other facets of neuroticism

So i guess money can't decicively "buy happiness" but it'll probably make almost everyone happier than they are now, so unless they're really really depressed/unhappy, then yes, it can sortof buy it.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Yes, it would. With unlimited money, I could get rid of everything I don't want to do, like cleaning, gardening, et cetera. I could move out into a castle. I could own a helicopter and a fleet of kick-ass cars. I could wear the coolest clothes. I could make everyone I know happy as well.

I'd be free. Free to do whatever I want.

But that's because I have someone special I could share it with. Without that, without her, I couldn't be happy. I would be suspicious of every woman only wanting in on the Sturmdolch Stash. It would be depressing.

So yes, money could buy ME happiness. But not everyone.

Mr.Kitetsu

Mar 7, 2010
fool, do you not know the power of a high powered rapid fire 1 cent projectile launcher?!?!?

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Money can buy you partway to happiness, but the psyche requires more than just stuff. I know I'd be happier never having to work another day in my life tho, so to a certain extent, definitely. You'd have to routinely keep things in perspective tho, I imagine after a while you could become numb to the luxuries you have, if you let yourself.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Money definitely can't buy happiness. But I'll agree that it sure as hell can rent it. However, after a while you don't just have to exhaust your outlets, you'll just begin to realize how pathetic your life is.

I really have no wish to have more money. I'll stick to my tiny apartment, bicycle, 3 pieces of furniture, little TV and mactop and spend my useful time fucking around and having fun rather than slaving away to try to pay off my 2000 square foot house or 2nd car thank you very much. I think that's a problem many people in the modern age have. Just because things exist, you need to have it. Plenty of people could instead lead much simpler yet way more fulfilling lives.

But if I had unlimited money, I'd probably spend it on poor African and Indian children. Oh, and I'd buy McDonalds and WalMart, then fire everyone, demolish every single outlet V for Vendetta style, and take the company off the public market.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
money doesn't just buy things; it also buys services. Those services tend to make you more happy than "things" and no I'm alluding to anything. >_> <_<

jameskillalot

Apr 27, 2010
I believe money gives you the opportunity to seek happiness, without the ability to greatly exceed your needs it's hard in the modern world to find what you seek; with money you have the opportunity to do things with your life and to find what you enjoy, otherwise it's just so much work to meet needs