Do you buy games you don't have consoles for?

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I bought Beyond Good & Evil for XBox, only to find out later that it won't play on my 360 because of crappy backwards compatibility. Does that count?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, It's unlikely the FFXIII Collector's Edition will be available for any less at anytime soon, so if you really wanted the Collector's Edition of that game, and you're getting a PS3 anyway, I see no harm in planning ahead.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I do. But sometimes I change my mind and don't get the console, so I have wasted a bit of money in the past.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Well, I once did something similar to that. I was going to be gifted a 360 for christmas, so I went to the shops and got "Mass Effect" before getting the console. It was the special edition of the game, and they only had one copy, plus I already knew I was going to get the console, so I was surely not wasting any money in it.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Actually yes, but I buy old games for old consoles, the games are like a tenner so I can get a few rare SNES games if I see them for a tenner and wait until I actually get a SNES, it's what I did for N64 and now I have one so I'll be getting a SNES at somepoint

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
Once bought Shemnue 2 for xbox owning Xbox 360 only to find i needed access to the internet on my console to play it, and seeing as my xbox is in the lounge i was stuck (as I am not paying £60 for a network adaptor to be able to play shemnue 2.)

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Well, tehnically, one could play some games without owning the console through the help of emulators. Emulators by themselves are not illegal, so they are a completely legitimate way of playing the games you own.

Having said that, if you want to consider yourself a legally legitimate customer (which you probably do if you buy all your games), you need to buy the appropriate console. Afterall, if you don't, you are (in a sense) cheating the hardware manufacturer of his money (unless they no longer produce the console; in that case, it's a moot point).

Besides, emulators for certain systems require you to extract the BIOS from your console to work to begin with. Plus, it is still handy to have the actual console (even if you don't intend to use it much) in case your PC breaks down or you want to travel somewhere.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
nope. its hard too as i have a ps3 (60GB) and a 360. i hate the wii. say away from pc gaming (because mine is crap). my brother has a gamecube. so its really hard for me to do that by accident. i only get games i know i can play.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Never did so, but would totally buy Record of Agarest War's Limited Edition if it had been released on Europe, even tho I don't own a x360

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Quite often, as a rule I wont buy a system until There is a game that I MUST play on it and If I see that game in one of my local shops I will not hesitate to grab it, I consider this as a promise or motivator to finally get my act together and save up the 2-3 weeks pay to actually afford the system. I did this with my first gameboy and my Gamecube

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
No. Absolutely not. Why would I? If I don't have the console and I'm not planning to get one, why would I buy a game I can't play, even if it is very cheap?

It's like being able to buy the best steak in the world for 10 cents but you're a vegetarian. Or being able to buy all the world's music for 5 dollars, but you're deaf. It's useless to you.

Unless you DO plan on buying the console at a later date (and I mean definitely buy it) or you plan on selling it or a friend has a console you could play it on. Other than that, why would you?

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Snarky Username said:
Oh, and by the way, nice first thread. Most first threads are some old meme or some thread about how Portal is the best thing ever.
Agreed, and it wasn't even full of internet slang either!

OT: No, I don't, though I bought Mass Effect before I built my current pc, if that counts.
Oh, and I bought Grim Fandango hoping it'd work... Apparently Vista can't run it, so I suppose I did once buy a game for something I didn't have.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Bit of a waste of money unless you know you'll be getting one in the next week or so. Why buy a game you can't play?

And ooh! A new person, may I be the first to Welcome you to the Escapist!
I hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please ignore the body under the stairs and Doug, the troll outside. There are some things you may want to look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.116827] at [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.112832] before you continue to post.
Have fun!

You forgot to tell him to stay out of the basement...OOOOPS! I forgot. We aren't supposed to talk about that. Ummmm...LOOK OVER THERE! A BEAR FIGHTING A CYBORG! *runs away while everyone in distracted*

OT: I don't see the point of getting a game you can't play. Unless you're a collector or something, or want something that will be valuable someday to help pay for the middle-life crisis Corvette.

Lord Kodous

Feb 24, 2009
One of my pre-reqs for buying a game is I have to have the system it's for, or have it by the time the game is released.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
No. Though I've bought games for consoles I did have then sold. Then again so have alot of people who've upgraded from PS1 to PS2.