Do you care about graphics?

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I'd be lying if I said I don't. I like good graphics. Some games use good graphics to enhance gameplay experience. It adds to intensity. Like Crysis. Crysis could never be so intense if it didn't have those beautiful visuals.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, i think it's kind of important. you know, you don't think about it if the graphics are okay, but if they aren't then it can be a distraction and ruin the immersion.

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
Minecraft and many good flash games are the perfect examples to show how gameplay < graphics.
It's also a good way to weed out the "douchey" gamers, as I call them, since they'll look at a game like that and say "MW2 looks better". Or something like that.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
They're the cherry on the cake, if a game with great gameplay has good graphics AWESOME, but if a game with horrible gameplay has good graphics BLEH! BLEH I SAY!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
pulse2 said:
Does it really matter to you all that much? Would you rather play a game that looks smooth and beautiful than play a game that looks rough and jagged JUST because of the graphics rather than the gameplay? Had somebody given you an atari 2600 pacman or a PS1 game would you be turned off or bored playing it just because it doesn't look as nice as say, Gears of War or Uncharted?

For me, I'd say graphics restricts elements of gameplay I've come to love as well as making other elements more accessible, do I prefer GTA4 to San Andreas? No. Doom 3 to Doom? No. Ruse to the first Red Alert? No. But then thats just me, I thought Crysis looked amazing, but the gameplay became kind of a drag so it didn't keep me as stimulated as say Timesplitters 2 did. Gears for example didn't have me playing nearly as long as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games did and they didn't have achievements or trophies and multiplayer and all that trifle.

And Final Fantasy games speak for themselves.

So, what do you think?
I still play the origional C&C at times, heck even Homeworld, T3:WotM and other older titles get my attention from time to time, so nope graphics mean nothing to me if the game is awesome :)

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Yes i do, however graphics are the last thing on my list of what is the most important thing in games, however they are still important.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I care more about how I'm allowed to interact with the environment.

But unless it's bad on the eyes or makes it difficult to tell what's what, I don't usually care, although seeing interesting-looking and pretty environments is a plus.

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
I don't really care about graphics but a videogame needs to look nice and have fluent animation to be enjoyable

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I dont care about graphics over performance, as I always turn my graphics down to lowest if a game doesent run smoothly straight away, id rather the game ran perfectly rather than looked amazing (pc btw)

But for some reason old games put me off, I still play games like half life and diablo 2, but for some reason I cant for long. Maybe its the graphics being THAT far behind, or gameplay or whatever, they dont seem to appeal for long

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Mike Laserbeam said:
pulse2 said:
I thought Crysis looked amazing, but the gameplay became kind of a drag so it didn't keep me as stimulated as say Timesplitters 2 did.
But did you, or did you not, think that TS2 had fantastic graphics when you first played it?
In relation to every other game of their time graphically Crysis and TimeSplitters could be on the same level, but TS2 is a far superior game fun-wise.
You can't really compare things like that I don't think. You're comparing games to more fun predecessors and then saying the difference if graphics.

Maybe if you'd come at them from a different perspective, having never played either of those games and play them now, you might think differently. But because you played games like GTA:SA or Spyro when they were first made, and the graphics available for comparison at the time didn't make them look nearly as dated as they do now.

Try comparing two games that come out in the same year graphically, not ones that come out 8 years apart :p
Not neccessarily, because I wasn't comparing the graphics directly, I was comparing the fun I had playing the two games to determine how much the graphical elements influenced my gaming enjoyment.

I didn't play TS2 when it came out, I played it rather late in fact, by then, Halo and Halo 2 were out, amongst other better looking games, I simply enjoyed playing TS2 more than I did Crysis, heck, even more than Halo games, and that says a lot because I have a blast playing Halo games.

I agree that it probably wouldn't be as fun playing it on an atari 2600, but I don't think thats particularly down to the graphical limitations per say, but just the gameplay possibilities. But hell, I'm always proven wrong :) I happened to enjoy Pixel Junk Monsters, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Patapon, Locoroco and Angry Birds than many graphical focused games I've played on Wii, PS3, 360 and PC.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
In terms of 3D graphics, if a game looks as good as the original Half-Life, I'll pretty much play it without griping over the graphics. For 2D, I'm fine with 16-bit graphics. I don't have very high standards. =P

UnwishedGunz

Apr 24, 2009
if your one of those people who play minecraft then im sure your the type of person who doesnt care about the graphics in a game

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I like graphics but I can't help but feel that graphical advancements have given developers the opportunity to be lazy, especially JRPG makers.

eelel

May 29, 2009
As some one who's favorite game is Nights into Dream I would have to say no

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I care more about the story I can work with jagged but the smoother it is the better chance it has at creating immersion no?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'm a graphic whore, unfortunetly. Have tried to replay some of my old games that I grew up with, but the graphics makes me unable to keep playing for more than an hour tops.

kidcrash

Aug 15, 2010
I actually think that games with "poor" graphics tend to look better. I was watching my friend play Black Ops on PS3 and I couldn't stand how jaggy it looked. I also find myself very sensitive to drops in frame rate. Anything 30 FPS or below just looks bad. Seeing the FPS dive when particle effects come in is just depressing.

So, graphics do matter to me, I just tend to think that simple graphics look better than detailed ones. I'd choose Counter-strike's graphics over any modern game's.

Chorionicstu

Apr 17, 2009
I care about graphics but not nearly as much as I care about gameplay. There are games for the N64 that I would still play over games such as; Black Ops and other high end graphics games. I find that older games are much more fun whereas games these days are obsessed with competitiveness and balanced gameplay.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
As long as the game doesn't look like it was constructed out of lego (Minecraft excluded of course) then I'm fine with the graphics.

Pretty much the only time I ever stopped playing a game because I couldn't stand the graphics was the first time I played Morrowind.

Thankfully I've been able to mod it to look even nicer than Oblivion, so now I'm enjoying it.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Depends on the game. Sometimes I really dig super quality graphics, like Soul Calibur 4. But I also love games with graphics like Minecraft or other simpler themes.