Do you care about lore?

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
I love history and thus i love lore. I will spend a few hours minimum looking through the lore of most things i come into contact with, because i like to know the big picture. To pick out a few bits of lore i like, Warhamer 40k, Doctor who, Warcraft, Dragon age, Code Geas, FMA, and a bunch more anime and manga.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
I've got my Command and Conquer Lore pretty much nailed down for most of the games. I just like to know the Why and Who, it adds meaning to a simple massacre, gives the battlefield a place and time in a fictional universe with consequences and results.

I much rather have a world so big you could study it than a world as simple as Halo. No Halobash intended.

Mastercylinder

Jun 27, 2010
Yes.

If you're going to develop a brand new world, it needs a little something, even if it's just very sparse narrative or just hints at little things as opposed to pointing it out.

I really enjoy it if it can be studied through things like concept art, design documents, viral marketing etc.

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
Lore is one of my favorite parts of a setting and story.

I'm a fan of the lore from Middle-Earth, WoW up until right after Cataclysm launched, nWoD (oWoD for vampires), mythology games (norse, greek and egyptian based), the Forgotten Realms setting, and the Dresden Files. Especially that last one.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but the lore was irritating. It was a thinly veiled analogue for real world religious conflicts, and it bothered me that they made such a good game without trying to be more original with the lore. Also, EVERYTHING that goes wrong is because of demons. There's no variety there. Basically, the lore was so close to being good but just managed to trip at the end of the swamp.

I could have liked the lore of The Witcher, but the game was so fucking long and filled with running back and forth that I couldn't give it a fair shot.

That's all the disjointed commentary I can think of.

EDIT: also Star Wars, but only the stuff covered in the two trilogies and the video games from Jedi Academy onward.

Scarblade

Beta testing life since 1991
Jan 26, 2011
I love lore, it helps me to feel immersed in the game and sometimes it makes the game more interesting if it is used right.
I do not recall any favorite or worst lore.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Mr Thin said:
I consider reading random pages of the Warhammer 40K wiki to be fun.
I do the same thing. I just find the entire universe to be incredibly interesting. Hell I don't even play 40k.

I definitely enjoy a game with lore. It helps with the immersion, and makes the world seem more real.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I've only been made to care properly about lore in one game, specifically the lore of Fallout through New Vegas. I do go on about that game a lot, I should really change my avatar to something related to it.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Lore is a necessity. The more dense, the better.

However, it needs to be done with proper style, pacing and atmosphere.

Oblivion (or Elder Scrolls in general) is a good example of how to do lore. It doesn't shove "the world" in your face, choking you on exposition and insane unedited ramblings, it simply makes you a part of it, then gives you lore if you want it. Try to imagine Oblivion or Morrowind without all the books, or the cult followings of the various gods. Basically, it turns into a lore-less MMO. Blasphemy. You could plow through Oblivion (or Morrowind), doing what you want, and if you so choose, can immerse yourself in locations, piles of books and conversations dealing with the history, current events and your role in all of it. If you want to..

Metal Gear is a poor example of how to do lore. The latest game being the worst offender. Nothing is edited, there are too many insane ramblings of things that make no sense, and literally does not affect anything you do in the game, aside from forcing you to sit there and listen to it. Not only does this suck, but it also commits the biggest game-crime of all time, being that it starts making your brain wander in confusion or just out of utter contempt. Please, just, stop.. talking.. Otacon... stop.

Silent Hill is another good example. It's compact, but dense. You're constantly asking questions, imagination running incessantly. Though it has the problem of leaving too many unanswered questions, allowing you to drift off with your imagination making false assumptions about the true lore.

TL;DR

More lore.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I love the lore of Mass Effect, Dragon Age (The Tvinter Imperuim is my favourite part), The Elder Scrolls, Warhammer and Warhammer 40K, LOTR, Warcraft, and of course....Star Wars!
dancinginfernal said:
Star Wars.

Been trying to get into the expanded universe, but my wallet...
I had that same problem, you could try reading the Wookiepedia, but its not as good as reading the actual material. On the other hand you could try reading pirated PDF's on the books
Vern5 said:
Warhammer 40k's lore, on the other hand, just takes itself so seriously to the point where its almost Biblical.
That's the whole point though, the entire Imperuim is run like a Military Church, with this semi-mythical Emperor at its head. Its supposed to be biblical. By the way, thats one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Mr Thin said:
I consider reading random pages of the Warhammer 40K wiki to be fun.
:D Me too!

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
In my ongoing crusade to stamp out the word lore with regards to Warhammer 40K: It's called fluff! In Warhammer 40K it's called fluff! Not lore!

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I loves me some lore. I loves it gewd!

Seriously though.

Lore, fluff, canon, whatever you call it, I am a nazi about it. In 40k, if we're playing a campaign, and the first mission (which is usually scouting) you bring a table full of heavy tanks, I'm throwing your models across the room.

Now, don't get me wrong, some crunch is good, but when it starts defeating the universe of what you're playing, well, why are you even playing the game if the setting doesn't even interest you? Are you SO compelled to crunch numbers and ruin everyone else's time?

I just...I just don't understand it.

...As you can tell, I get needlessly worked up when people bash on the fluff...which is why I have NO idea how I stand most players in RP servers, whether they roleplay or not.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
I like it, makes the world feel more alive, and not like it was put together a year and a half ago. In my opinion lore makes game changes in sequels less frustrating.

Like the TES games, if they just took levitation out of Oblivion and didn't say a word about it, I'd of been pissed because levitation was awesome! But they gave a lore based explanation for removing it in-game and referenced it quite a few times, so I actually don't mind that it's been removed because of that.

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
Forgotten Realms. To the death.
I probably know more about the history of the Forgotten Realms than I do about the history of Earth.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I like lore, as long as it's not about space, because space lore, takes wayyyy to much time and effort and alot of the information is useless.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
I'm a Star Wars nerd, and know quite a bit of WAR 40K lore. I knew a bit of Warcraft lore, but then I realized that Blizzard cared less and less about it so I stopped caring about it.

Just a suggestion, if you haven't, read the novelization for Revenge of the Sith. It's not just a good Star Wars book, but a good BOOK period. It puts the movie to shame. One of my favorite parts is when the book delves into Count Dooku's inner thoughts and motivations (it turns out the plan he made with Palpatine was to have Anakin be turned to the dark side during their fight and have Dooku fake being captured).

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
No_Remainders said:
Hmm... Well. I quite like shouting "FOR THE EMPEROR!" while playing the Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine demo...

Does that count?

No? Oh, well, then no.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!

Had to get that out of the way first.

Anyway, I'd have to say that lore is one of the most important things about a game. One of the reasons I tend to play Reach over any other multiplayer FPS is because it has a surprisingly good lore behind the whole franchise, at least compared to most others. It's also the reason I love Mass Effect so much. It gives massive amounts of background info that I just love. I count myself as an amateur writer, and every time I write a short story, i always have to plan out the entire universe it's set in first. Seriously, I've got a sci-fi timeline that goes from 2034 to 2785, and that's just the human timeline. One of the alien ones goes from 15,000BC.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I enjoy in-game TES and FF lore. The Witcher was a great book series even before CDPR turned it into two excellent rpgs. I don't really get into lore for its own sake, though. I'm not driven to know every single detail. Well, not usually...