Do You...Collect?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...adding another 10 games or so to my collection I was wondering if anyone else collected games.

Maybe it's only from a certain developer or publisher or system or type.

Just wondering, yo.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I've got a fairly good collection of PS1 era JRPGs. Looking for the two SaGa Frontier games and Kartia, currently.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Only reason I collect from a particular source is because I legtimately like and play all of said games.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Define collect, cause I mean, I...have bought alot of games, and still buy lots of games. I do sometimes seek out old games I dont own and arent on some newer system. I certainly bought the original Dynasty Warriors (the fighting game) for the novelty of it and to say I have played it...even though it sucks.

Edit: Also own a T Rated Oblivion, but thats cause I got it on release. :p

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Yes. I collect NES carts. My collection back in the West is somewhere near two-hundred-and-fifty-ish. And I have begun collecting Famicom and Super Famicom games as well. I own a Retron 5 and have my original NES system (with a new pin set I installed myself) and Famicom system.

On top of that, I still have every system I've even owned and all the games in storage, aside from the ones lent out and never returned (which, let's be real, is almost always the case). So I've lost a few good games over the years.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i didn't. but then my library at home started to get pretty big, then i started collecting a few of the games i missed out on as a kid that i wanted to play and own like Mario Party and Pokemon Stadium 2. then it got to the point earlier this year where i just went, ah fuck i'll just become a Nintendo collector. not a hardcore one, but i have got quite alot of Nintendo games now. most of them being from the Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS systems.

just recently this year i bought Mario 10 and 8 when i saw them on sale in EB. then i just went fuck it and also bought Mario Party 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, DS, island tour and star rush. i now own every single Mario Party game except for Mario Party Advance.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I used to be. Sadly when I moved last year most of the things I collected, my games, books, movie collection etc, simply wouldn't fit in my new place and so they had to go.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I used to actively collect games. Now, I can't really be bothered.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I suppose it depends on your definition of "collecting".

I have a lot of Halo stuff. I own all of the games (except Halo Wars 2, which is digital). I have a hard copy of every book up until The Thursday War, a couple of Soundtrack CDs, and a few action figures too.

Otherwise, I do have almost 500 games on Steam. I haven't been actively "collecting" them, but it did kind of happen naturally.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I collect console exclusives and PS games.

It's getting rather large, to the point of where all my cases are in boxes and my games are in wallets, just so I can save space.
XD

I was just interest.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
"Collecting" games is, for me at least, more of a byproduct of enjoying the medium than anything else.

My steam library can attest to that much.

jedisensei

Nov 23, 2009
I don't so much 'collect' as 'refuse to let go.' Apart from the games I've had stolen, I've still got all the games I ever acquired, and can probably name on one hand the games I've sold.

It amounts to a fairly respectable collection going back to the NES generation, but only of the games I wanted enough to buy, basically.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
No, I don't really collect games. My Steam library has grown quite a bit over the years (I jumped on when Half-Life 2 was released), but still nothing like the more impressive collections out there. I also don't buy bundles, mainly the games I intend to play, or at least try one day. I wait for sales a lot, and I also get pissed with myself if I paid good money for a game and never touched it. OTOH, I'm also paranoid about something happening to my account and me losing ownership of all said games, so I still buy physical media every now and then, sometimes second hand to get a bargain. I do keep a database of games I've finished though.

The only things I've collected in life are:
-GI Joe toys
-Punisher comics
-Coins from around the globe
-Die cast and model cars

Apart from the cars, everything else is gone.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, I own pretty much every major console from 4th to 7th gen, except the Saturn and Dreamcast, as well as several handhelds. I don't really 'collect' games for any of them tho, just games I want to play at some point, which does include some relatively valuable ones.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Nope. My collection has grown organically and out of control. Oldest tech I have is PS2 with some guitar hero stuff. Then gamecube, Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, XB1, PS4 (none of the newest stuff like pro or S). And between Steam and Humblebundle, if I don't get to die without finishing all my games, I'll live forever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ummm... I "collect" them in the sense that I buy the ones I want to play.

Isn't that what everyone does? Why else would I want to acquire them?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Zhukov said:
Ummm... I "collect" them in the sense that I buy the ones I want to play.

Isn't that what everyone does? Why else would I want to acquire them?
I think he means like my brother does, where he'll go out of his way to buy games for a specific console for the purposes of displaying them as well as playing them (normally for older consoles like SNES).

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Can't say I collect games, but I have at least one copy of every card in the fftcg. Dunno if that counts.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
maninahat said:
... for the purposes of displaying them...
Okay?

That behavior is an utter mystery to me.

If I were to go about acquiring useless objects merely for the purpose of owning them I would prefer them to not cost money. Seashells or something.