Do you consider yourself English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh or British?

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
I consider myself a smoggy :p
No, I consider myself English or British but I say I?m from England or the UK as the British Isles is just that bit more of a vague and general area.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I'm 'Merican.
Of course I have ancestry in Britain, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, and North America (Native American) within the last three generations. I'm a mutt.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Scobie said:
I consider myself a human being. Which particular patch of dirt I was born on doesn't really matter to me
This, really.

If made to choose, I tend to identify as British. I was born in England and have lived here all my life, but my granddad was from Cornwall and I claim that heritage... just don't get me started on the Cornish separatism debate.

issacization

Jul 6, 2009
im Scottish, i was born in Scotland so were my parents and theirs etc and ive lived here all my life so im Scottish.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I consider myself European and a Brightonian. I don't feel particularly proud of being English or British, but I love my hometown and most of the rest of Europe. England is just kind of boring.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
CK76 said:

I believe
seems to add up how I feel on the matter.

Just annoying how whenever they say British, they don't mean Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish, they don't even mean Mancunians or Liverpudlians, they mean Upper-class Londoners.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
CK76 said:
Cmwissy said:
Although for some reason most Americans seem to think Britain/United Kingdom only = England for some reason, weird that)

People 100 years ago were apparently less politically correct than now.

I'm really surprised the King (Scottish royal blood) let people get away with that.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
I consider myself to be irish not British as the UK and Ireland are completley seperate states.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Get_A_Grip_ said:
I consider myself to be irish not British as the UK and Ireland are completley seperate states.

Southern Ireland, anyway. Northern Ireland is ours.

*cue evil laugh*

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
El Poncho said:
I consider myself both.

Just don't assume by British I mean English or you'll get a Scottish punch to the face(Hint: It involves using my head:p)
Ah, that would be the Glasgow kiss.

I'm English, but I consider myself British first and foremost. I don't place any real importance on which British country one come from.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
British.

I can understand that people would want to say Irish, Scottish, English, Welsh, etc, though, because of the large diversity of cultures and tension between them despite the tiny space our country/ies occupy.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
Furburt said:
I have to say, I don't really agree.
But I agree with you
Really,I was drawing far too strict lines into what is Irish,while at the same time making the mistake of using "Irish" as anything less than an very generalized umbrella term for any culture,which each county,even towns and villages and such have may be extremely unique regerdless of(or at least relevant to)geographical distance.
And of course,that applies to everywhere in the world.

I know I might of flipped the argument alitte here.But having corrected the mistake of using "Irish" and also "English" as anything less than a umbrella term for hundreds or thousands of cultures,sharing the odd thing in common,spreading something or omitting something in some,uniqe way.

I just think it was an honest failure on my part,and I would just like to apologize to just about everyone the world off,since anyone could take offend to my use of the word "culture" in my previous comment.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
Also, the British try to distance ourselves from Europe because, quite frankly, we hate almost every other country in it.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
I am English and British. It's not hard to have a sense of identity about which province of these fair islands we come from. I don't celebrate St. Paddy's day (not Irish) nor St. Andrews (not Scottish) nor St. David's (not Welsh). I celebrate St. George's day, I watch my national football team fail miserably at tournaments and so on and so forth. However anyone from the Republic of Ireland has free reign to glass anyone who calls them British. Them from Northern Ireland don't.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
I consider myself a Scottish American. I'm something of a "1.5th" (1.5st?) generation.
As for my dual citizenship, I refer to being a UK citizen (and then usually follow that up with "I guess that means EU, too").

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I consider myself an Englishman first and foremost, and then British.

Possibly because I just about live on the English side of the England-Wales border, and being so close to another country makes me more patriotic somehow. As far as I know my Dad's Grandmother was Irish, but other than that I'm English through and through, and so that takes priority in my order of patriotism.

Not to say I'm particularly jingoistic about Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland, but they are different countries after all. Countries that I'm not from, so I distinguish myself from them.

Not that any of it really matters in the long run though.