Do you eavesdrop?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
When I'm out and about, I try and tune people out. It's really not my fault people are so loud and obtrusive.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Never on purpose, though it seems that I have a great ear for it, and unconsciously absorb a ton of information that way.

I haven't really found much use for most of that information, but I have picked up a few jokes that way, and found out about new movies that are coming out that I was unaware of... Of course most of what I overhear, is just people having relationship troubles, not particularly useful information to me.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I try not to. I prefer to mind my own business because I'd like other people to do the same for me. If somebody wants to share something with me, they'll tell me directly.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I actually go out of my way to NOT eavesdrop. I'll even put my headphones on, because i feel wrong hearing other people conversations that are not my business
In general, i'm a very quiet person that stays away from groups of other people and keeps his nose from everyone's business...

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
No conversation is safe from me; I will always eavesdrop whenever I can. Then again, I am a compulsive people watcher.

I just find people so intriguing and the things that you hear sometimes are really quite amazing.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Oh yeah, I don't really try to, but it happens. It's mostly in one ear & out the other, unless it's funny. The only real problem I have with it is the fact that a lot of people are just shitty people & I've been pissed off by things complete strangers say way too many times.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Me and my GF have this habit of having incredibly wrong conversations, just because we live in California where no one minds their own business. The reactions we get are usually entertaining for us. We know people can't help but listen in so we make a show of it without being obvious. For example, I'll be in line at the grocery store and usually there is an isle where they keep both condoms and yeast infection crème's under lock and key by the cash register. I'll look down and see that they have monistat 1, monistat 3, and monistat 7. I'll then start up a conversation where I ask why would a woman choose to keep a yeast infection for a week if they could get it taken care of in 1 day? Me and my GF will then go on from there. The looks I get from the cashier are always priceless.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
This seems to be a more common phenomenon than I thought. And here I was, thinking I was kind of special in that creepy way.

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
I've found that often times it comes easy and I don't have to try all that hard. I could be sitting right next to somebody but I am pretty reserved and keep to myself so maybe its because people either don't notice me or dont care but they'll talk without reservation. Sometimes I feel like the Shadow Broker.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
I make no effort to do so as that's effectively an admission that other people's lives are more interesting than your own, but I am not much of a talker so whenever the others at the table are busy (like eating) background noise does tend to seep into the foreground. Nine times out of ten, it's inane dribble.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
Years of working with heavy machinery, and listening to loud music has diminished my hearing so I don't generally overhear someone if they're making an attempt to not be heard. However, occasionally things do get through and I usually just find them trivial and forget about them within seconds.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Eeeee'yup. All the damn time.

People talking at the dining hall, people talking around me in a classroom before class begins, sitting on a bus (assuming I don't have headphones on), people just chatting at the store I work in... as much as I often seem to just sit around and mind my own business, not really talking to anyone unless I have to, eavesdropping is just something I admittedly do naturally if I'm alone. Often without even realizing it until I suddenly catch myself and think "wait, have I just been sitting here listening to these random people for the last ten minutes?".

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I do all the time and I'm quite good at it, you kind of just zone out with your eyes flicking back and forth as you take in everything around yourself, possibly even listening to two or even three different conversations at once. You hear all sorts of things, especially on buses and trams. Do I regret it? Not really no; if you're in a public place then don't be mad when people overhear your private stuff.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I won't go out of my way to listen in on somebody's conversation but if you are within earshot of me and are talking to someone its the only thing I am paying attention to even if I am not looking at you. Just listening to people talk will teach you a lot about the world and its a good way to improve your character judgement on someone much faster. If its a private conversation you don't want anyone to hear then have that conversation somewhere else.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Of course. And when I snap back, I can join back in on my friends' conversations about dicks.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
It's kind of hard not too. I can't really drown out noises, especially conversation. Plus if you're talking loud enough for me to hear you a table or bench away you best believe I'm listening. Unless what you're talking about is really boring I could potentially just drown it out but even then it's hard.

edit: Honestly I didn't realize so many people did it though. Makes me feel kind of weird now knowing how many people have heard the stupid shit come out of my mouth as I have a hard time lowering my voice. I don't yell I just project it very well I guess.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Not often, but I have in recent months. And it was...interesting.

I won't start drama over it, though. It doesn't really affect me at all, and considering the circumstances it never will.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I have very good hearing, so sometimes I hears things I would rather not. Though I guess the occasional stranger conversation is fun to hear.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Not the way you described. If I don't know the people talking, I don't care about what they are saying. If it's people I know? Sure. If they are talking in a public place, I am okay with listening to it.

EDIT: Also, people often underestimate how much I can hear. I quite often "space out" when I find a conversation uninteresting, but I can still hear them while thinking, something some people seem to not be aware of.