Do you ever choose NOT to play games, due to how big the backlog is?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I don't know about you, but I can't get into games casually. Not meaning I can't get into casual games. But I'm either really into something, or I'm bored of it.

And if I've ever lost track of something, say, like I am right now, with Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon, I often don't go back and play the games. Because I know being into Pokemon, means BEING INTO POKEMON. Last time, I tried to get into all the all the games and all the seasons consecutively. Because that's kinda the point for me, I'm really into Pokemon or I'm not.

And that means a lot of catching up to do, and also I prefer watching the show in Japanese to English. I also don't pay for cable because I dislike American TV. So often, when I consider picking up a new or old game, I consider how hard it's going to be to get back into. And how much backlog of games, shows, comics, fanart, discussion, and so forth I need to catch up on for binging.

Again, same with Kingdom Hearts. I've played 3 of the games, I, II, and Chain of Memories. But to get back into a new game, I always want to play the old ones first. The task of actually getting back into a fandom, is daunting. I really want to get back into it now, because they're finally starting into the mode of making legit sequels and things that interest me. But I think about the effort I would need to get back into it, and it feels so tiring.

Same with Star Wars, even. There's a reason I was nuts for the games on my SNES but haven't done much of anything Star Wars since. I dropped out of the fandom, and I haven't seen anything except movies I through VI. Which is why I haven't ever played Knights of the Old Republic or anything like that.

Same with Harry Potter, Harry Potter like the aforementioned seems like this huge fandom of great stuff and great discussion I've missed and want to get back into. But I stopped reading since Azkaban years ago. And if I were to pick it up, read the books again, watch the movies again, read the new books, watch the new movies, and find out what pieces I can pick up from a big fandom I haven't been a part of for years.

Am I the only person who gets to feeling this way, and that any fandom with a "deep" backlog of stuff to do takes an emotional investment to surmount?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Hmm... I have a problem like yours. I look at my backlog and there is just too many options. I know if I start a game I need to be able to devote my time and effort into it. It seems daunting at times. So then I just play some mindless Call of Duty multiplayer. I just made a thread about that. I think your problem and mine are fairly similar.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I bought far too many games during a Steam sale this week... Now i have Deus Ex, a ton of Star Wars games, MGS HD, Okami, ICO, Plants vs Zombies to complete and I don't want to let my UMVC3 skills get rusty so i need to play that daily.

And I have an anime backlog... And a test to revise for. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It is pretty strange yes, the more choice you have harder it is to find something that fits the moment, you actually start to feel pressure from the prospect of having so many things to do, even if they are fun.

I get around this by removing all except 3 games at any one time, and until I beat one of those I can't pick up others.
Ah out of sight out of mind, how silly... I'm telling you it bloody works, our mind has it's own system so work with it.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I always thought each new series of pokemon games were divorced enough from the others to only worry about the version your playing at the time.

With Kingdom Hearts, I played 2 without touching chain of memories. And I didnt feel like I missed much.

I dont feel like I have to get into everything about a fandom. Just grab a game you like and start playing it.

LilithSlave said:
Same with Harry Potter, Harry Potter like the aforementioned seems like this huge fandom of great stuff and great discussion I've missed and want to get back into. But I stopped reading since Azkaban years ago.
The hell man? Book 4 is when the series actually started getting exciting.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Yes; there are a few I'm considering getting, but won't till I've got some others out of the way.
Battlefield 3 and possibly Deus Ex: Human Revolution are at the top of my "To get" list with a few other maybes, but until I've replayed through Skyrim, possibly Mass Effect 1 and 2, a hardcore run of Fallout New Vegas and possibly also finally getting around to installing Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, then I may have to put them on hold. With the exception of the latter, all the others I've played before and am now going back to them. I don't actually own the two I mentioned yet, but don't see the point till I'm ready for them.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I know when I played WoW I had almost no time for any other games. I was leading raids multiple nights a week and working to help keep our guild bank stocked and help guildies gear up on the other nights.

I've since sold my account and moved over to ToR where I play at a much more casual pace and only lead group activities on Saturday nights. Thanks to cutting back on the MMO time I have actually started to find time for my PS3 again. Just this week I went and bought some PS3 games for the first time in years. Up til now my PS3 had been an expensive media/blu ray player for as much as I gamed on it.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I have a similar problem. Whenever a new installment of something comes out, i always feel the need to re-play/read/watch everything that came before.

Currently im replaying through all the COD:MW games before playing MW3 while its free on steam for the weekend. Also playing through all the Assassins creeds before playing Revelations which ive now had for over 2 months. Also plan on replaying infamous before starting 2 and i just finished playing through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Oh and I also need to replay Mass Effect 1+2 before 3 comes out, Probably more than once so i have my Femshep and my Manshep...and then there's all the games i want to play that dont have sequals out/coming up.

There's also several books/films/tv shows i want to watch several series of but i just dont have to time to do all of them... never mind playing games that dont have sequals out/coming up.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Haha, i have that too. Also, i can't for example watch a new show because i have to wait for a week inbetween episodes.So I wait until season finale to watch the whole season in one run. Anecdote: i didn't play Half Life Episode 1 because i knew episode 2 and 3 would come shortly after and i could just play all three consecutively. Yeah, i'm still waiting for episode 3 ^^.

Maveroid

Apr 22, 2009
Absolutely, and I am glad I am not the only one!
I don't play a Final Fantasy if I am not going to play ALL previous Final Fantasy games and get into them.
I wanted to play 13 but I decided to play through 4 before I tackle 13, and I haven't touched 4 for 7 years because I just got out of the Final Fantasy mood. I am even considering buying the Origins game for the PS1 so that I can start with Final Fantasy 1 so that I can someday play through Final Fantasy 13.

Its really annoying, but otherwise my brain wouldn't be satisfied. If its not 100% of the experience, its not good enough.

Same thing goes with the Yakuza games. I only played 3 until now and I really want Dead Souls. But I feel bad for even playing through 3 before trying out the first two games and 4. Seriously, I need to find a copy of 1 and 2 and then buy 4 just so that I can play Dead Souls!

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah if I pick up a new series I have to play the older ones before the most recent. And if I get distracted part way through I have to go back to the beginning, I can't just pick up where I left off. Particularly annoying with long RPGs like DA:O or Mass Effect.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have a backlog of games I want to play but I'm having to play something for a review right now that I don't particularly want to play...

sigh.

I have a bad habit of buying new games when I already have a horrendous backlog. It's pretty terrible. I am like some sort of game hoarding dragon.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I find my issue is more along the lines of buying too many games than what I have time for (or games too big for me to realistically have the time to get invested in). For instance, I currently have The Sly Collection, Deus Exe: Human Revolution, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 3, Zack and Wiki, Okami, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of Rome, Madworld, No Mores Heroes (1 and 2), Super Paper Mario, Epic Mickey and Rayman Origins to get around to....but being in university, working a part time job and having a pretty active social life leave little time for me to actually get around to playing these titles. (and this pales in comparison to my backlog of books...)