Do you ever get tired of the samuri sword?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Well I do. I get tired of how prevalent it is now a days in actiony movies and crap. Everyone has to be wielding a katana, and it is just old. I don't really mind when ninja or samuries have one, because they are suppose to. But random muscle dude, batman or some other average non-Asian guy or girl with one it just played the f out. There are plenty of great European and Arab swords to pick from, what is wrong with a Claymore or something. Geez./rant

Discuss.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Katanas are just better.

Nah, but really, I don't even notice it anymore. They are like guns. Who even fucking cares by this point.
Actually, when OTHER swords are used, the movie instantly becomes cooler. Just for averting KATANAS FUCKING EVERYWHERE.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Katanas are just better [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KatanasAreJustBetter].

But yes, personally I have a penchant for the old solid mass of metal on a massive handle style of sword, a la the Buster sword.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I actually haven't noticed the over use of katanas. But I'd like to see more Chinese swords, and Western swords.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's probably because the katana is seen as a symbol of expert swordsmanship. So whenever a character is holding one it immediately connects with our brain that this person is a badass... And I'm getting pretty sick of it too.

This is why I like the movie Ghost Dog; The samurai in question only ever uses his katana for training. All his kills are made with silenced pistols.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

How many Western swords can you name that can slice a fired bullet in half?
How many people can you name that could slice said bullet in half?

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I haven't really seen katanas used in that many films, and when I have seen them, they've mostly been in the hands of an Asian. Also, I think its easier to obtain a razor sharp katana than any other sword, thats why katanas specifically have been banned here.

Oh, wait, X men origins...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well...I'm not sure, but I think a katana is very good for cutting bits off an unarmoured opponent. As most sword fights in action movies don't involve armour, it sort of makes sense.

On the other hand, IIRC, a katana doesn't have much of a hilt, because the user would be wearing armoured gauntlets, to that'd seem to make them less suitable.

Though, I'm not an expert, I might have gotten that completely wrong.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I'm all for variety, but there is a reason why Katanas get so much attention. The craftsmenship behind them is pretty incredible. The amount of folding and all the detailed work required to make a Japanese Katana is pretty mind boggling when compared to most other swords. The difficulty in creating them is what makes them the stuff of legends. Even if a another sword were technically better, it probably didn't have nearly as much gravitas attached to its making. Its just another tool, as opposed to a Katanas great effort of engineering.

Of course, the reason Katanas require so much effort is because Japanese steel tended to be extremely low quality, and they needed great feats of engineering just for them to work properly. But in the realm of fiction, this just adds to the appeal.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

A claymore would decapitate whoever had the gun before the bullet's even fired. God bless those Scots and their undying love for haggis!

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
They bore me to death. Really. If you want more grace then brute force, why not an epee or a rapier? Katanas on a character always trigger in me the "weeaboo fanservice" alert, its like the Ed Hardy clothing and the "Brainless idiot" alert. It works 100% of the time, never failed once.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
It's probably because the katana is seen as a symbol of expert swordsmanship. So whenever a character is holding one it immediately connects with our brain that this person is a badass... And I'm getting pretty sick of it too.
The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the Power of Love and the Power of Self Respect. Up until then Scott Pilgrim hasn't shown any proficiency in with a weapon, sure he can throw a cymbal and hit someone with a skateboard, who can't. But then he is automatically badass with a katana? I let it pass because the movie is the greatest film ever, but still.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Because it's easily associated with the following:

Bad-assery
Martial arts expertise (or rather bad-assery)
Pseudo-philosophic (often) bullshit
Looking cool
Acting cool
etc.

*sigh* as a practitioner of kenjutsu, it bothers me quite severely how inaccurately sword fights are portrayed in a lot of modern media. Also, what is it with people and having a hideously ornate tsuba, the constant 'clink' sound regardless of what you do with the sword, and a saya with a METAL opening?! Biggest load of crap...

Besides call me a loser, but I prefer fighting with ninjatou (anachronism, though it may be).

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

None on the top of my head, but I do know katanas cant do it either, a katana cant even cut through chainmail.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
EllEzDee said:
A claymore would decapitate whoever had the gun before the bullet's even fired. God bless those Scots and their undying love for haggis!
Meh, I could do it faster with a scimitar made from Damascus steel. HA!

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
This is why I like the movie Ghost Dog; The samurai in question only ever uses his katana for training. All his kills are made with silenced pistols.
I loved Ghost Dog! Forest Whitaker is an amazing actor, and that has to have been one of his most interesting roles. Maybe not one of his best, but definitely interesting and entertaining.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Because it's easily associated with the following:

Bad-assery
Martial arts expertise (or rather bad-assery)
Pseudo-philosophic (often) bullshit
Looking cool
Acting cool
etc.

*sigh* as a practitioner of kenjutsu, it bothers me quite severely how inaccurately sword fights are portrayed in a lot of modern media. Also, what is it with people and having a hideously ornate tsuba, the constant 'clink' sound regardless of what you do with the sword, and a saya with a METAL opening?! Biggest load of crap...

Besides call me a loser, but I prefer fighting with ninjatou (anachronism, though it may be).
I don't know half the words you just said, but I think you were saying that a katana is a one swing weapon that if you didn't kill your opponent in the opening move, it is because he did?

Plus yes, the scabbard shouldn't be metal, it would just dull the blade.