Do you fear death?

Berk

Sep 28, 2011
Isn't worth the effort. Why worry about something you can't do anything about? Life is ment to be enjoyed, as it should be. We really dont have that much time on this rock.

AviaJiutai

Jun 8, 2010
I've only read the first page of comments, and since I need to be up, I can't read the other six. But why hasn't anyone mentioned the quantum suicide theory? (If that's what it's called, I forget.) It basically means that some part of your mind will live on elsewhere. Probably some strange dimension where people have faces made of bee's. (Sounds like hell, but eh, you get to keep on livin'.)

Short answer; No, not really, as I believe that some part of my mind, or all of it, will simply move on elsewhere, possibly to someplace better than here, or someplace worse, I don't know. But, for me, it certainly beats this black void of nothingness people keep going on about with such certainty.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I don't fear death in the least. I am an atheist and thus I believe that the concious mind won't even exist when I am dead. I won't be in pain at all my mind will simply not be there. Incidentally, I think the thing that keeps people going is the sense of future.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I fear dying, not death. Whatever happens after is 100% beyond my control. I'm just curious about that. Don't want to know how I'll get there, though...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
No. Why fear the inevitable? It's going to happen someday, why fear it? Learn to accept it. Besides, there's always a next-life :p.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
I'm not sure yet I do wonder what happens to us past this life. But mostly I just don't want to suffer when I'm going to die. I just want it to be quick and painless and maybe an open casket funeral. I remember seeing my grandmother's body when I went to hers -shivers-

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Death i'm not in the least bit bothered about it's the dying part that concerns me.

I can cope with going in my sleep or even going painfully if I have all my wits about me.

Can't stand the thought of going senile and leaving this mortal coil mewling like a stuck pig.
Yep, there's my answer in a nutshell. I don't fear death in the slightest. In fact I kinda look forward to seeing if there is anything after, but I want to retain some dignity if/when it happens.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
The way I see it - when you're dead your mind is dead too, henceforth you have nothing to sense with - so if there IS nothing and just a dark void of diddly squat, then I have no eyes to see it with, no hearing to notice the silence with and my mind will be dead so I won't be able to think 'fuck this is boring'.
What's there to fear? The way I see it, according to current theory's you either go to a happy happy heaven or you'll be too.... you know DEAD to feel the dark void of nothingness.

I think the only real fear I've noticed quite a few people have is being forgotten after they die.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
"There is only one god, and his name his death. There is only one thing you say to him. Not today." What was the question?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Why should I? Everyone has to sooner or later. Death is a part of life. However, as a Christian, I have even less to fear, due to my belief that there is an afterlife. And even if there isn't, if I die thinking I'm going to a better place and cease to exist entirely, then what have I lost?
Oh, and as it's been said before, dying isn't what I fear; It's how I die.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Death cannot exist while I do. So no, I don't fear it. After I die, I cease to exist. So there is nothing to fear.

Cab00se206

Jul 9, 2008
I don't fear death. I don't know if anyone really fears *Death*, so much as we fear pain, or the decay of our body. Sure, the unknown is never something to get excited about, especially since it's the 'Great Unknown' that we're talking about, but I tend to think that a people mistake the fear of pain or infirmity for the fear of death. I may be wrong, but that's my interpretation of it.

As for me? I just turned 20, and am still stuffed with an impenetrable sense of my own immortality, so I'm really not too concerned about kicking the mortal bucket. And even when I am old and grey, I don't think I'll be too worried. Death is the Great Unknown, as I said, and since it is unknown, it is illogical to fear it. As Guildenstern once said, "It may be quite nice".

Besides, why should we fear Death? He seems like such a nice fellow, at least as far as he is described by Terry Pratchett. I think I should rather like to meet him. For indeed, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
I don't fear death. How can you fear something that you can't even feel/know when it's happened? Feeling pain before dying is another thing...

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I fear death. Life's too good to die. I don't let the fear stop me from doing anything but I must admit, I want to live as long as possible and go out as painlessly as possible.

dark-mortality

Apr 7, 2011
Short answer: No, I do not fear death.

Long answer: I have never feared death, and I never will. To be honest, death sometimes seems calming... but then I remember all the bizarre that happens here. Anyway, while I do not fear death, or what may come after (if there is something after), I fear how I will die. I am terrified of dying a painfull death, and would like to be smothered with a pillow when I sleep, thank you very much... Or die in sex.

MetaMuffin

Feb 2, 2011
I used to be terrified of death. When I lost faith in religion years ago I became absolutely petrified of the idea of ceasing to exist. However, after thinking it over, I have no reason to believe that science can tell me what happens when I die anymore than religion. There's billions of questions we don't know about the universe, and until science can answer every one I'm very curious about dieing. More over, I realized all I can do is live the best life possible. There's no point to living in existential dread, and as my philosophy on life is to maximize pleasure and reduce pain, I'm not going to live in fear of God or Death.