Do you fear death?

Dec 30, 2009
Always was a question that came back to me. Insomnia's a *****. Anyway, do I fear Death? Don't we all? I have bonds and relationships on Earth. Friends and Loved Ones. They're important to me. The reason for my existence. I certainly do not want to leave them. How ever, death is inevitable and an immortal's life would bore me. When my time comes, I'll go peacefully to whatever's beyond and let my faith guide me. While I'm still here, I'm plan to live life to it's fullest and be as happy as I can.

Short version. Yes, I fear death, but I'm willing to accept it.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Do you fear death? It's a question that has been asked many times. I myself am more worried about what happens afterwards. The idea of endlessly being in the dark void of nothingness, for all eternity makes me feel unnerved. I know I'll be dead, but still..
You assume consciousness will continue after death, which by scientific standards isn't true. Think of it like not having a brain. No brain, no thinking. If you can't think then you can't be worried or bored.

No problems there.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
It is more that I am afraid of the unkown which death brings. Will I die and just be maggot food? Is there something beyond death? My fear is becoming nothing. I may not like my self, but I don't want certain things I like about my self to end. It's my instinct of self preservation, that gives me such fear. If I knew that there is something beyond the physical, then death would not bother me at all for the most part. I don't believe in any religion I just hope for somthing.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
This song explains it.
[sub] Got to love the Oyster Cult.[/sub]

Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Nope. Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!

Also, Robot Bodies. Seriously, it's happening.
I'm with this guy, soon we won't have to worry about death, but that doesn't mean we become gods. Personally, I would get a robot body just so I could fuck up gang members who are already douches, while listening to the song from above.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I'm quite relaxed about the "being dead" aspect of it, I really don't like the "dying" part. I had a pulmonary embolism a few weeks ago, and that is NOT how I want to go. Suffocation is up there on my list with "burning to a crisp".
If it's something quick, sure, sign me up.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I fear the unknown, however since I am almost completely sure of what will happen when I die due to research of what happens when vital organs shut down, no I do not fear death.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
No. Iv actually considered killing myself just to see what happens afterwords, but like getting a tattoo that shit is permanent.

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
nope. i assume i will live forever... until i die. then i wont care, because I'm dead.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I do not fear death, in fact, I look forward to it.

Hold your horses, no, I'm not emo or suicidal. I just think that, once it happens, I will finally know for sure what happens after death. I'm like 99% certain I'd just become worm food. But hey, if it is as I think, I wouldn't care anyway!

Your move, Death. Now that the fear is away, what else do you have?

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Yes and no. I'm concerned with my life just ending, and even more afraid of it happening suddenly. But, at the same time, I know death is something that is inevitable. So that sort of gives me and odd, almost comfort. Weird...

Velvo

Jan 25, 2010
I fear dying, but I do not fear being dead. I'm curious about it though.

Fear is such a basic response to stimuli in our reptilian brains, there is no denying the feeling. Anyone who "feels no fear of death" is merely deluding themselves in one way or another. Yes, you will be afraid at some point before you die about said death. That is part of the process. Especially if the manner of death is particularly painful. Whether or not you express it is a matter of discipline and/or delusion.

I guess you could call a fear of death a fear of pain. We generally fear pain, as a rule. When death would alleviate said pain, people often lose their fear of death, just wishing it would be over with already. You can argue whether this is a cowardly thought or not and whether this is part of a delusion, but I feel no particular way about it.

BEING dead is really nothing to fear for me. If anything, I am curious to see if anything happens. I won't give two hoots what happens after I'm dead when I am dead. Sure, I may give a couple hoots now what happens and, to be sure, I'll try to prepare for that eventuality, but once I actually am dead, everything that makes me me will probably go with me.

At least, that is what present veritable evidence seems to indicate.

To quote Carl Sagan,

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

DisturbiaWolf13

Apr 15, 2009
It absolutely terrifies me. Everything about it. Although i'm also a little bit curious about it. I don't think i'm truly mentally epuipped to deal with it, i'm pretty certain that if I ever get to the stage of staring death in the face; knowing i'm about to die, I would simply go mad.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I do not fear death, in fact, I look forward to it.

Hold your horses, no, I'm not emo or suicidal. I just think that, once it happens, I will finally know for sure what happens after death. I'm like 99% certain I'd just become worm food. But hey, if it is as I think, I wouldn't care anyway!

Your move, Death. Now that the fear is away, what else do you have?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Do you fear death? It's a question that has been asked many times. I myself am more worried about what happens afterwards. The idea of endlessly being in the dark void of nothingness, for all eternity makes me feel unnerved. I know I'll be dead, but still..
Its not a void of nothingness if you are not there to feel it. Nothingness still have to be perceived to exist.

I'm not afraid of death, but I like living so I dont want to die. Sucks :\

Srassy

Sep 20, 2009
Not particularly. It's just one of those things which happen. I don't know if it's good or bad yet because no-one has come back to tell me that death sucks or whatever. A bit more scared of the pain before death but not the actual death.

Politi

Feb 28, 2010
Not especially afraid, I hold very strong Christian beliefs concerning life, death and the afterlife. That is to say, I hope that my current lifestyle is in line with God's word, and that he will be the one to call me home.
I would however, be upset if I die a death that isn't exactly "natural causes" (i.e. attacked by cougars and left to die) without at least saying something reasonably cool, like "Come closer, thou hooded figure, that I might lean upon thy shoulder, for my strength fails me in my hour of greatest need. Heaven is far from here, and I have not the might to reach it without a friend to bear my burden."

I understand that the Grim Reaper isn't part of Christian biblical canon and that you don't walk to get to Heaven like in The Pilgrim's Progress. I just think you have to end life on a good line.