Do you find level grinding therapeutic?

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I realize I'm in the minority in this, but I actually sort of like level grinding. Even if I'm not explicitly powering myself up for a really tough boss, I find it relaxing to go somewhere and do a 30-45 minute dungeon crawl.

So I guess, is there anyone else who finds the repetition to be therapeutic?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
A dungeon crawl is not "grinding". It's a dungeon crawl.

Lord, what isn't being called "grinding" these days? I'm gonna go grind some orgasms with the wife! Time to grind some laps at the pool! Gonna go grind some burgers to get my hunger down!

You people have killed the word grinding. It's dead now. I hope you're happy.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I realize it's a term that originates from tabletop gaming, but if I'm just going through a dungeon to get my levels up, they fulfill the same purpose. Crawling through a dungeon and increasing my levels and stats. I realize no one else uses the term like that. But that's just how I think.

Regardless, that is completely beside the point of this thread.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't consider doing a level to be grinding unless your doing it over and over. I think of grinding as a repetitive activity, such as walking around the same 4 patches of tall grass to find wild Pokemon to battle. I don't find it therapeutic so much as boring and also frustrating. When you've been doing it for an hour and your not even half way to where you want to be it makes me want to smack someone and the actual act is boring because there is no new input, its the same few steps over and over and over again. I can see how it could be relaxing due to not being mentally intense but its not how I relax.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
I guess it really depends on the game you're playing. If I'm playing a Wizardry-clone type of dungeon crawler then yes, I'll agree that a good grinding session to level up is enjoyable because, for the most part, the encounters do require more than just pressing X or spamming attack and waiting for the XP.

WoW & other MMOs of that vein though, it definitely devolves into a chore as grinding meant memorizing when your cooldowns are up and said power/combo can be used once again, to a practically conditioned level of response.

To each their own I suppose, as I certainly have found myself to be in a minority of people that consider Wizardry and its clones to be fun.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:

Lord, what isn't being called "grinding" these days? I'm gonna go grind some orgasms with the wife! Time to grind some laps at the pool! Gonna go grind some burgers to get my hunger down!

Maybe it's the word "crawl"? It's not a very attractive word, really. Maybe "dungeon romp" is better. Or dungeon exploration. Or spelunking.

Lorpo

Jan 26, 2012
Not grinding as such but I find sitting in a roid belt and mining in EVE to be relaxing, as long as rats don't keep jumping me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:

Y'know, describing doing laps at the pool as 'fitness grinding' would actually be pretty damn accurate.

OT: No, I find it tedious.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
Do you find level grinding therapeutic?
Only in certain games and i don't mean massive cRPG titles.
Mostly it's very boring experience.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
DustyDrB said:
BloatedGuppy said:

Maybe it's the word "crawl"? It's not a very attractive word, really. Maybe "dungeon romp" is better. Or dungeon exploration. Or spelunking.
"Dungeon romp" sounds more like you're "roleplaying" with your girlfriend or something, if you know what I mean.

As for myself: for every 10 minutes I grind, a small piece of my soul dies. So no, I don't find it therapeutic.