Do you find playing a character of the other gender awkward?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Not at all. I do about half and half. My first Fallout 3 character was female, as was my second Skyrim character. In Guild Wars 2 my characters are 2 male, 2 female.

The only time it's awkward is when I meet one of those fools who thinks everyone is obligated to play their own gender all the time. Let me see if I've got this right: It's okay to pretend to be a hulking, nine-foot, mail-clad, axe-wielding, Conanesque master of arms with a voice like a professional announcer.... as long as he doesn't have tits? Miss the point much? Are these people saying I can't load up my old Sonic cartridge unless I'm actually a blue hedgehog?? Even then it's amusing/aggravating rather than awkward. Awkward would be http://www.bitnexus.net/RP/viewtopic.php.htm Never gets old, heh heh.

DoubleU12

Oct 3, 2011
I dunno. I usually prefer the female character over the male 8 times out of 10 but liking a female character in a lot of games has become a crime recently so I'm going to say yes but because all you dumb people want me to feel bad about liking her because she has breasts and not because I'm a guy playing a female character, that part doesn't bother me at all.

All the issues of gender in media have grown sour in my mind, especially after I supported the women's side quite a lot and then get insulted and called a shallow pig so I feel all these gender discussions have literally lost all concrete definition on what the problems is and has turned into nothing but a bunch of dumb people with short tempers and vague ideas of what black and white are and then calling everyone bad people for disagreeing.

PS.
The dumb bimbo that makes Women vs Tropes. I never seen her videos but she was the 1 who turned the argument from something that everyone could agree on into a stupid yelling contest. She hurt her cause several times worse than any video game ever has.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Father Time said:
chikusho said:
I absolutely love to play as female characters. There's something inherently empowering about badass chicks.
What about violent and crazy chicks? For some reason that feels more empowering than any other badass that hasn't been in Pulp Ficiton.
Could you give a few examples of specifically violent and crazy women protagonists? Like, are you talking the Siren of both Borderlands or do you have something else in mind?

Personally, I'm literally unable to form any kind of bond to male fighting game characters, for instance. Nariko from Heavenly Sword has stayed with me since the PS3 release, my personally crafted blond femshep is the only shep there is and Bayonetta will always have a leg up on Dante (not in any sexual way) as far as I'm concerned.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it's some kind of subconscious perception that a woman is always somehow the underdog in any given situation. The world gladly announces women to be lesser, or only valuable for their appearance. So it's possible that embodying strong, well realized and capable women and seeing them succeed is what makes female player characters so empowering.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Father Time said:
Now I REALLY want to know what you think of the story I linked. She's not the only woman in the game but out of the 3 playable ones she's the most interesting IMO.
Haha, holy shit! I never played Twisted Metal, but that was kind of amazing.
Still, her obsession is one of not only fitting in, but being the best at being a wife, as some kind of a symbol of perfection. I don't really have a point to make here, but I agree with you. This is fantastic!

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Father Time said:
Not really how I interpreted the character, but I'm glad you like it.

Anyway there's two other female characters in the game, one of them has a storyline I don't really like and here's the other one.

Even though the previous video you linked is more interesting, this seems more relatable. She's a naive teenager with an allegedly fucked up upbringing that is given the opportunity to avenge the death of her one crutch to sanity. Cheap as it may be, it works enough to pull my strings.

Insanely Asinine

Sep 7, 2010
No because its always fun being chaotic neutral no matter what character I make or get stuck with. I tend to make my characters have tiny body frames.

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
I could give a flying Pyjak about whether or not I play as a male or female. My problem lies in how annoying is the voice actor they picked to voice said character.

Example: Mass Effect; just can?t play as a guy because Mark Meer doesn't put any inflection into his voice. inFamous; Jason Cottle can?t understand half of what he says. Laura Bailey the screeching wouldn't stop till I ripped the power cord from the wall.

Granted one of those was a supporting character but great way to ruin a decent game. Then you have the great voice acting.

Example: Shohreh Aghdashloo is in my opinion the best voice actress of all time. Then you have Mark Hamill? its Mark Hamill. And, of course Ellen McLain as everyone?s favorite world dominating robot.

As long as I have a good voice actor I can play as any gender.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Usually dont care at all the only time I find it awkward is if I am playing as a female and they are having some sort of romantic relationship with a male. Actually I usually find it awkward the other way as well because its rarely done well it just seems shoehorned in but its definitely more awkward if I am the female.

If there is nothing like that I have no problems what gender or creature I play as I just go with the one(s) that appeal to me most whether its due to mechanics, visuals, audio whatever.

PirateGoesYar

Sep 21, 2009
It really depends on the nature of the game for me. A game with a pre-established female character (Beyond Good and Evil is the first thing that pops to mind), I don't really think twice about it.

But if I'm essentially creating an avatar that *I'm* going to role play as (skyrim, WoW, fallout, etc) I almost invariably roll male. Maybe it's just a lack of creativity or connection with my feminine side, but I always view role playing in games as putting *myself* into the story, rather than creating a unique character, and so my characters almost invariably are male.

The major recent exception being rolling a female Pandaren, because the males were just so awful. XD

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
In single player titles I never had an issue with it, and now actually prefer to play female. Although mostly for the sexist reason of playing dress-up on top of the main game...

In MMO titles I used to be a lot more "this is me" with the characters I play, but recently those got reduced entirely to the "dress-up on top" aspect, especially when I enjoy the game, but can't play my main character so that my friends aren't left behind in levels.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Not terribly. Usually I get a character design that just starts to grow in my head. Gender just sort of goes along with it.

M13

Jan 6, 2013
Only one game. My first run on Skyrim. I decided to roll a female char. I never got used to her doing the "Fus Ro Dah" thing. My male ears & brain couldn't accept it as powerful enough. The devs should have brought OTEP in to record that part.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I used to, and I really can't remember why. Eventually I just played as a femshep in ME1 and after that I didn't have the issue again.

If it was a set character, then I wouldn't have a problem at all. But if I had the ability to create my own character in a game I'd always play as a Male.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
the hidden eagle said:
Nope because unlike some people I treat the character as her own person and in RPGs I just shape her personality and ideals.I personally find it weird that people are "uncomfortable" playing as a female game character.
Same exact thing here, I even wrote a blog post about it on GIO. I actually sometimes just prefer a female protagonist over a male as well.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Johnny Impact said:
Are these people saying I can't load up my old Sonic cartridge unless I'm actually a blue hedgehog??

I LOL´D so hard with that part, thank you.

Still, your point is good. Gaming would be pretty boring for people who feel the need to play only as characters that are like you. That is to say... Um, well, we dont have many completly human characters right? I mean with absolutly nothing at all thats weird or overpowered.

I was going to say L4D survivors but they have guns... I do not. So not even them.