Do you get upset if Yahtzee trashes a game you like?

doodger

May 19, 2010
Professional troll is always trolling ^^
I mean, i played some of the game he trashed and wuved them. At the same them, some of the game he likes are bad for me.

I try to avoid following reviews because games are subjectives.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Based on his podcasts and colums I think that his opinions are honest. Although extremely exagerated and overdramaticized for comic effect. But if he says he doesnt like a game he means it.
And no, I dont really mind if he trashes a game I like, I enjoy the game and someone telling me its bad wont make it any less fun.
Although if he does enjoy a game I tend to check it out, a game needs to be quite good to impress that tosser.

Imrix

Nov 21, 2007
No. Yahtzee is a comedian first and critic a distant second. It makes me a bit unhappy sometimes when he really messes up some part of his description, but I don't take it personally.

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
I do feel a stab in my heart while watching his review of oblivion and fallout 3, probably my first and second best game of all time.

This case is worsened when
he praised saints row 2, the most atrocious game ive ever attempted to play. installed it on my old pc which runs "high" on crysis and race driver grid. game engine so shit it lags on very, very low. opening mission/sequence felt like it was written/designed by some incestuous rednecks. i got fed up and uninstalled it.

but what he said is true(fallout 3/oblivion crashes on average, once every hour), i cant deny it.

and hey isnt the point of loving something is that you can see past the shit and accept it the way they are?

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Yes! I hate it when he takes the piss out of something I poured hours into and belittles me and my opinion!

Seriously, though, no. I just felt like freshening up this topic after 12 pages of exactly the same post. If he hated every game half as much as he implied, he'd probably have had some kind of stress related attack and had to take a sabbatical by now.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
I'm a halo fan, and I'm not upset when either yahtzee or moviebob criticize it because for the most part they nitpick at it and the rest of the time they're just wrong.

But I watch yahtzee to laugh not to take him seriously and I doubt he'd want it any other way

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
He's berated some good games I've liked, but there's only one time I've actually disagreed with him. He makes good valid points, most of the time.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Why would you get upset if someone trashes a game you like? You like the game, right? You enjoy playing it, right? Wouldn't playing the game you like be a better alternative to flaccidly trying to justify your preference to some pretentious hater?

Every game has flaws. If you like it, then play it and don't worry so much about what everyone else thinks.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
My opinion on a game (if i like it), is that i like it.
doesn't matter what others think about it really.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
No. In fact, those are usually the ones I watch first, cause they make me laugh the most.

Some people fail to realize that Yahtzee's JOB is to trash games. He's not a videogame reviewer, he's a videogame CRITIC. He's supposed to criticize.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
No, because unlike some people, I can appreciate good humor, and I know for a fact that humor shouldn't restrict itself with anything, let alone a game I like... Plus Yathzee makes good points of the deficiencies of the games, so feeling bad about it is like being unrealistic, and that's NOT my strong point.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
You mean, if I like one of the 95% of games he reviews? No, not really. It's not unlikely he's perfectly accurate about what he chooses to criticize anyway; it may just be that I find other elements of the game make up for it.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Not really. Honestly I've found that most of our views on games are quite similar. If I got mad at every person who didn't like a game that I liked I'd be dead a long time ago.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
It would be rather silly, since he's pretty much famous for being overly cynical and harsh in his reviews. It's just what he does. I odn't kid myself into thinking that he likes games that he says he doesn't just because I like them, it seems fairly reasonable for somebody to not like a game I do. It's just anotehr opinion on a game.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nope.
Case in point the Mirror's Edge review.

I still love that game.
But I don't get upset that he trashed it because everything he complained about was 100% on the mark. it just bothered him a lot more than me

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
Some times I get angry, but not directly because he trashed a game that I liked. I think he has some humorous content, and I usually enjoy his videos. However, I feel that the majority of those videos are far less review and really just a series nitpicks. He really just doesn't give the games that he's 'reviewing' a fair shake. Furthermore, on several occasions he's been flat out wrong concerning gameplay mechanics/story/etc.. that he's ranted over.

Still, all of the above doesn't really get me upset. What does irritate me, though, is reading the threads for each video and seeing just how many people accept his comedy show as a legitimate review. It's a shame to see some people missing out on genuinely decent games only because Yahtzee decided to emphasize a few sour points.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
No. Because he's usually right. Even when I love the game he's slamming, when he points out the flaw(s) I have to nod. And he's hella funny.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nope because I don't take him even the least bit seriously. He's trashed like every game I like apart from Portal and I just laugh.