Do You Guys Stay in Shape? If So, How So?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Stop drinking soda and coffee with loads of sugar in. Just drink water to keep hydrated. Drink lots and lots of water.

Everything else sort of works itself out if you do that.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I have an hourglass figure so I really don't have to do much to keep it in shape. I swear I'll have this figure for a very very long time. I'm not complaining though! ;3

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I run, do sit-ups, push-ups and lift weights.

I eat kind of healthy.

Why? Because it's like not smoking. It makes you live longer and makes you fitter so you can better enjoy that life.

Daveman said:
2) Breakfast is the best meal to cut out of your day. I am a lucky person who is never hungry in the morning so I never eat it anyway but I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason I'm not a big tub of lard.
Breakfast is by far the worst meal to cut out of the day. You've just woken up and your body hasn't (or shouldn't have) had a decent meal for at least 10 hours. It needs energy to start functioning. It needs energy to really start up.

In order to have a fully productive day in which you do not feel constantly tired and exhausted you NEED a good breakfast. A good breakfast will energize your entire day allowing you to work harder, exercise more and think more critically.

Cutting out breakfast is a certain way of disrupting your day-night cycle and gaining weight.

A much better thing to do would be to replace your mid-day meal with your evening meal. Meat, vegetables and starch at mid-day and then eat bread sparingly in the evening.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Daveman said:
I wouldn't worry about BMI. When I was exercising and getting regular meals in my teens it said I was underweight and now I have developed moobs and run at best once a fortnight, I'm average. But still here's what I know.

1) Lifting weights will only make you bigger, it doesn't particularly add definition. If you're trimming yourself down I'd try and do very little of this.
2) Breakfast is the best meal to cut out of your day. I am a lucky person who is never hungry in the morning so I never eat it anyway but I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason I'm not a big tub of lard.
3) Lots of slow exercise will burn fat, though annoyingly it's quite time consuming. The key is burn more calories than you take in. This means either exercise more by running, swimming or general whole body exercises (so there's more movement and more calories burnt) or just eat less calories and the simplest way to do this is by reducing your portion size. Also, you need to be willing to keep doing it for the rest of your life to keep the weight off so try to pick types of exercise you actually enjoy.

Also give yourself a definite goal to train for, not based on the whims of some female. For instance if you like running enter for a marathon and aim to do it in under 4 hours. With regular training I'm sure you could do it. If you do pick running I'd also get off the treadmill unless it's raining. Get a pedometer and try and find some grass to run on.

/2cents
1. Lifting weights at low weight high reps will burn off calories and start definition.
2. Worst meal of the day to cut out. To stifle hunger, eat throughout the day, small yet healthy meals. A half sliced ham or peanut butter sandwich will suffice. Skipping meals will mess with your metabolism and you'll need that breakfast energy to start your day off right.
3. -

Base it off the whims of some female... if it motivates you. Find whatever it is to motivate. Find a jogging partner, drink lots of water when working out (when you're thirsty while working out, it's too late).

I follow a strict regimen with the bowflex revolution at home. I suppliment with freeweights, situp chair, preacher curl, and running (sprinting). I take preworkout suppliments, creatine and 150 grams of protein immediately after working out.

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
I stopped snacking so much and started eating very slightly healthier and that's all it took. Losing weight wasn't difficult at all, you don't have to miss out on your favorite foods, just eat a bit less of them (not less often just smaller portions). As soon as you stop putting off losing weight and start to do something about it its really no big deal, its easy anyone can do it.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Nouw said:
Walking and push-ups.

Usually ever-day.

Hell any form of exercise, if done everyday, is good for you.
Sorry mate, not so. If you lift every day not only will you make no gains you will hurt yourself within weeks. You don't get bigger and stronger by working out, you get bigger and stringer from recovering from working out.

OP, some of this thread is A grade broscience. This link will serve you well

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Read it, all of it is worthwhile.

Lifting weights doesn't make you bigger, eating does. If you eat in surplus and you don't train properly or at all you will get fat. If you eat in deficit you will lose weight. The type of weight you lose will be determined by your nutrient ratios and the type of exercise you do.

Just because the person on the ad is in good shape doesn't mean that the product they are endorsing is what they use, the only thing they use or what got them their physique.

Just because the exercise is hard work doesn't mean that will help you.

Read the link. The 15 minutes it will take you will save you heaps of time in the long run.

If there's anything more you'd like to know PM me.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Griffolion said:
Your eating crisps? Stop that for a start, didn't you ever do that "experiment" in school were you burn a crisp and watch the fat drip off it? Plus there awful for your teeth, worse than a glass of coke.

Look in Argos for a steamer, the one I bought was £19.99, then go to Tesco and buy frozen veg (the stuff I get is £1 and it's not Tesco's own) and a 4 pack of chicken fillets. Put one fillet in the bottom of the steamer, half a bag of veg in the middle and put it on for about 15-20 minutes. Tea is that easy to do, no washing the food or anything. I have a Muller light yoghurt for something after as well.

Drink fruit juice, like Innocent and Tropicana it is better for you than water. Drinking loads of water has been proven to have no positive effect on your health but fruit juices can contain one or more of your 5 a day.

Basically, just avoid stuff with sugar in and obvious crap like bacon and sausages.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Very much so.

Parkour
Running
Heavy weight session.
and my all time favourite exercise...
Sex

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Let's see here,

Push ups
Squats
Lunges
crunches

I do what's called a tricep dip, where I put my hands on the edges of a chair with my legs out as far as I can(eventually I'll be able to have them lifted up) and bend my elbows to slightly drop my body, then push back up.

The more you do them, the more muscle mass you build. Muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, so it will slowly help you lose some weight, provided you eat a little bit less food.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
I think he's trying to drop weight, not bulk up.
Also:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Ask those guys, they know just about everything.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Running is the best thing you can do and anything upwards of 20 mins each day will tear the fat right off. Try it a few times a week, just a gentle jog but try to keep going as long as possible.
Also, re: work, stairs are your friend.

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
If you train with weights, you'll gain more muscle and that will in turn burn more calories. Maybe not a lot, but still it's something.

Eat proteins and fat, and less carbs. Find out your BMR and calculate how much you need to eat to lose weight. Don't set yourself too low, if you find it hard to keep to your diet it will be eaiser for you to crack. Find foods you enjoy to eat. Use common sense :)

Don't punish yourself if you have a setback or two, making life-style changes takes time and effort.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Rhymenoceros said:
Fortunately my BMI is ridiculously low 15 (you're meant to be between 18-25) However in an attempt to build muscle, as I have virtually none, I've recently taken up Parkour and Free-Running.
Lift and eat well. In the long run it will make you gain a lot more than Parkour. Unless you are doing Parkour because you want to do Parkour. In that case, carry on.

David Bray said:
Running is the best thing you can do
best be trolling

Samurai Silhouette said:
I think he's trying to drop weight, not bulk up.
Also:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Ask those guys, they know just about everything.
Diet has more of an effect on your physique than your exercise. If he lift and eats in deficit he'll do well. OP has said he is sedentary so he may even gain some muscle in the first few weeks like I did when I started lifting.

And I can vouch for the quality of Samurai's link.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Kaim89 said:
I skip cadio way too often, but this is how I usually do it:
Monday: Breast and triceps workout
Wednesday: Legs and shoulders
Friday: Back and biceps

Put 15-20 min of cardio infront of it all and your good =)
Just a couple of suggestions. You should try and switch triceps with biceps, usually it's better to do chest+biceps and back+triceps, or a separate day of biceps+triceps is even better if you have the time.

Also, you should do cardio after you workout, even if you will feel more tired.

It's just some advice, it depends on how you feel it works best.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
silasbufu said:
Kaim89 said:
I skip cadio way too often, but this is how I usually do it:
Monday: Breast and triceps workout
Wednesday: Legs and shoulders
Friday: Back and biceps

Put 15-20 min of cardio infront of it all and your good =)
Just a couple of suggestions. You should try and switch triceps with biceps, usually it's better to do chest+biceps and back+triceps, or a separate day of biceps+triceps is even better if you have the time.
Why do you say that?

Brainpalm

Apr 17, 2010
I do no exercise, besides some heavy lifting at work, i eat junk often and play video games. Yet i only weigh 53kg. I let my metabolism do all the work.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I cycle and walk most places, if I can avoid using a vehicle I will.

It also helps that I have a ridiculously high metabolism so I cn eat all sorts of crap and not put on weight. (Im currently eating a cake I just made)