Do you harbour prejudices against people who use drugs?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Vivi22 said:
BeerTent said:
Correction: It used to not bother me. But working and playing with a bunch of fucking addicts for around an entire year? Now it does. I used to want a lot of these things legalized, now I'm conflicted. Keeping it illegal causes crimes, but having the harsh punishments on the addicts? Well... Maybe they'll change. I don't know.
No, they won't. The only thing that prison instead of rehab results in is people who now have an even harder time turning their lives around, are more likely to resort to crime when they get out (whether to feed their addiction or to simply get by), and they'll have received the best education in crime you can get: serving time in prison.

Removing all drug prohibition and putting the money presently going to incarcerating people with addictions into rehab programs instead would do a lot more to fix the problem. Not the least of which would be helping to destigmatize drug use enough that users might actually be more willing to admit they need help, and suddenly be able to get it. And if someone commits a crime like driving while impaired, you'll all of a sudden have some programs to send them to that stand a chance of actually helping them deal with the problem.

Prison isn't rehab, and people need to stop pretending it is.
So very much! Let's take someone who's gotten themselves into a world of pain by becoming addicted to something, and instead of helping them in any way, let's exacerbate the situation by turning them into a convict. Even as a person with moderate libertarian leanings, I find the way we handle this to be absurd. Incarceration has become an industry unto itself though, so expect lobbyists to block any attempt at legalization.

OT: Yes, I would discriminate against a person I knew was a hard drug user. I've seen what kinds of things addiction can drive people to do and so would not trust them in ways that I might trust others. My discriminatory practices would be to help ensure my safety and that of the addict.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
TizzytheTormentor said:
Depends, if you do it recreationally and aren't doing any of the serious stuff, I won't hold it against you if you don't push it on me. If you are one of those people who will ask for money to get more drugs and stuff, you can fuck right off, had my cousins and shit do this and its annoying.
I would never push it on anyone and I would never ask someone for money to fund it.

Angelous Wang said:
Tabaco is the fucking worst drug of all, and that ones legal. Seriously why is the one drug that gives peoples cancer and not only the users but the bystanders too the on that is legal?
Gosh, I know! It makes no sense at all! Well, it does in a historically twisted sort of way, but it's certainly not right that it should be this way. It's much the same with alcohol, which causes far more deaths in most countries than any of the other hard drugs.

Angelous Wang said:
Of course they should be treated the the same as alcohol, no driving, age resritictions and such. Just to aviod hurting others and reckless use.
Just general regulation would be perfect. Age restrictions, health information included with each purchase, quality control etc.

Vykrel said:
i feel sorry for them.
I don't feel sorry for me at all.

Vivi22 said:
No, they won't. The only thing that prison instead of rehab results in is people who now have an even harder time turning their lives around, are more likely to resort to crime when they get out (whether to feed their addiction or to simply get by), and they'll have received the best education in crime you can get: serving time in prison.

Removing all drug prohibition and putting the money presently going to incarcerating people with addictions into rehab programs instead would do a lot more to fix the problem. Not the least of which would be helping to destigmatize drug use enough that users might actually be more willing to admit they need help, and suddenly be able to get it. And if someone commits a crime like driving while impaired, you'll all of a sudden have some programs to send them to that stand a chance of actually helping them deal with the problem.

Prison isn't rehab, and people need to stop pretending it is.
Completely agree! Wonderful post!

Uncle Comrade said:
That said, I have to admit I am slightly prejudiced against drug users, mostly because the majority of the ones I've met have been really boring people. All they ever wanted to talk about was drugs. Drugs they'd taken, drugs they were going to take, what they'd done last time they were high, and what they were going to do next time. It's like "Yeah, I get it, you love your drugs, but do you have any other interests we can talk about for a while?"

I just don't get it, it's like being the only non-football fan in the room during the world cup. Not to mention 'stoner' humour, where the punchline to every joke seems to be "lol, it's funny because WEEEEEEED!"
I would sooner grind chilli peppers into my vagina than have to sit in a room with those people. The same could be said with people obsessed with football, cars, designer clothes etc., but the pot heads annoy me in particular because it's hard for people who take drugs and share the opinion that prohibition is wrong to be taken seriously when these loud-mouth buffoons behave the way they do.

renegade7 said:
No, you are not a rebel, nor are you an anarchist, or honestly all that unique in any way. You are a suburban teenager who used cash you took from your mom's purse to buy a joint and pretend to be a part of "burnout culture" while you pretended you liked it in your friend's basement.
Not everyone who uses drugs thinks like this. Some people just really like to take drugs. We don't *have* to take drugs any more than we *have* to go hiking. We just enjoy doing it. I have no ego or graces about myself as being some sort of rebel fighting against the system.

Heronblade said:
-Risking addiction is incredibly stupid
Yes, which is why only adults who have done their research and are thoroughly informed should participate.

Heronblade said:
-your brain is the only resource you have that is truly worth a damn thing, screwing it over, even if it really is only temporary, is likewise stupid
Which is why you take care not to screw it over, whether that be with drugs, contact sports, or video gaming.

Heronblade said:
-escaping from this world by means of the above is a selfish act, and nearly always cruel to those around you.
By your reasoning, so is playing video gaming. My drug use has never affected another person negatively, nor has my gaming.

Heronblade said:
-and then there's the health problems that come with recreational drug use. These are variable both in effect and severity, but they all have them.
I'm fully aware of the risks and issues surrounding all the drugs I use, much like I am with everything else I do.

SKBPinkie said:
These guys are truly evil, and again - that shouldn't deserve your money.
I make sure they don't get a penny of it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
If they say that they take them, I probably won't mind. If they're already under the influence of them, that's another story. Drunk/high people are annoying.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
the only ones i have a really actual agro in my soul for is Alcoholics, since i had the singular displeasure of growing up in a house with one.

Mostly i am just weary of people who are too focused on a drug, since the addiction can make them untrustworthy.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Thyunda said:
Depends on if they're high at the time of conversation. I can't stand talking to people who are stoned, drunk, high, tripping, etc. Not because I have some grudge against the substance, it's just because they become annoying as shit. Stoners are the most annoying, heroin addicts are the most unpredictable, in my experience. The heroin guys seemed to have real trouble understanding that you can't just fuck somebody up because you don't trust them, and they get kinda twitchy when you confront them about it..so, yeah, don't do that.

The stoners though. Good God. I'm a university student. I'm a smart guy in a working-class area. Most of my friends didn't even go to college, and so they never quite mastered critical thinking. Some guy tells them marijuana prevents cancer, they'll be on the phone to me in five minutes flat telling me marijuana prevents cancer. They'll then rattle off a bunch of terms they've parroted from their dealer, and then look at me expectantly.

First off, guys, I'm a fucking humanities student. I am not a chemist.

Second, everything you just said was total bollocks and there's no evidence to support the claim.

Third, I'm not telling you you can't smoke, I'm telling you to stop doing it around me because I'm asthmatic and, even if it DID prevent cancer, it doesn't prevent asthma attacks.

And fourth, if you call this number again, I'll have you shot.

So...long story short, my prejudices are not based on the type, quantity or frequency of drug use, they're based on the respective culture. Weed culture is one of only two trends I can't stand. I don't get upset about swag. I don't give two shits about 'yolo'. The other trend I despise is 'lad culture' because, well, sorry mate, but soaking a tampon in vodka and shoving it up your arse is about as admirable as....half the other shit you freaks do to justify yourselves to each other.
You ever see that Secret Life of Students? The 'lad' on that in the first episode said "Lad status confirmed - now to get laid."
And here I thought lad culture required sex.

Oh, yeah. Weed culture, that's what I was talking about. Fuck weed culture. If you want to smoke weed, do it quietly. Should weed be legalised? Don't see why not. Honestly it doesn't affect me.
That seems to perfectly summarize my stance on drugs and drug-users.

Although personally I take it a step beyond and say that anything that alters the fine neurochemistry that makes sure your brain actually functions has quite a few risks associated with it.

But hey, I'm not gonna be all high and mighty since I myself have been drinking the occasional beer (ethanol itself being a behavior altering compound), but to my defense I've yet to see ethanol causing psychosis-resembling symptoms.

On the other hand "Several recent studies suggest that frequent cannabis use during adolescence is associated with a clinically significant increased risk of developing schizophrenia and other mental illnesses which feature psychosis."*

*http://cannabisandpsychosis.ca/more-information/what-do-we-know/

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Yes. I consider them a bunch of idiots to be avoided. Exempting people who really do use pot for actual medical conditions.

Its not just the drug side effects, its also legal trouble the bring with them. When I find out about someone using I basically cut them out of my life.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
I don't hate people for using alcohol or pot and I won't bother them with my opinion. I don't like being drunk, it makes me lose control. Feels like I stop being myself. I understand some people enjoy this particular effect, but it's the opposite for me.
At parties I come up with an excuse not to drink by driving to the place, pretty sure nobody wants to hear my philosophical reasons for abstaining. I can still be fun and have fun with all the drunkards, so it doesn't bother me.
Smoking anything is just a big no for me, I had asthma as a kid and my parents went to a lot of doctors so it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm not gonna throw their hard work (and my ability to breathe) away just so I can trick my brain into happiness for a few hours.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
No, not really, because I judge every situation as it comes, complete with context and nuance.

Ideologically, I see the benefits of legalisation, but I'm not so naive as to think it would come without a price. Mostly though, I choose to abstain personally. I don't smoke either, but I do drink (not heavily anymore)

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Raziel said:
Yes. I consider them a bunch of idiots to be avoided.
I asked this of another user earlier, but I'll also ask you: Would meeting an intelligent, contributing member of society who just so happens to take lots of drugs undermine your view of drug users, or would the fact that they take drugs eclipse all the other qualities enough so that they're still idiots in your mind?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I wouldn't mind if they didn't go out into the public while under the influence of drugs. I know for a fact that one of my friends likes to drive like a maniac after smoking some weed and who knows how many like him are out there.

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
I guess I do have prejudices against people who drugs, from witnessing the effects that they have had on my friends in the past.

I had two friends growing up, one was on course to become a doctor, the other was studying chemistry at university. The first is now cooking food at a pub, and the other is working for a supermarket. The reasons for this? Weed.

Now I'm aware that in these instances the end result was due to their misuse and when used in moderation the effects aren't anywhere near as life altering, but that's the experience I've had with it.

At the end of the day its addictive, against the law, has an effect on your personality, and makes a lot of other people feel uncomfortable.

If people want to do drugs that's fine with me, just don't be surprised if I think you're a dumbass for doing so.

(this is obviously without even touching on the actions of the parties that produce and distribute the drugs)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Depends on the drug. Weed, no, not really. Not unless you use to the point where it becomes a problem, then I judge you a lot. Out of experience, I expect heavy users of marijuana to be less capable and a lot more flaky. Other drugs, there's definitely a little judgement from me towards anyone who uses hard drugs. It always seemed to be a really stupid decision to me, after losing my sister to an unintentional overdose last year, I feel even more strongly about it. If you use hard drugs I automatically assume you have poor judgement and a weak will.

BeerTent said:
I've had a lot of people tell me that there's nothing wrong with weed.

Then proceeded to immediately make me feel uncomfortable because I'm not big on the smell. I don't toke. Or they tell me how they've "christened their apartment" and then immediately do that shuffle when I tell them I'm not big on it. Like, I've just become some sort of lecherous gross person.

I used to kind of treat it like smoking. Just, don't do it in my house. If I'm in your space and you want to light up, meh. Whatever. It's your space. But, please respect my preferences. Also, you're an addict. If you wake up to two poppers every morning. You're a fucking addict. You're an addict if I load up team speak to hear you toking every fucking time. Same with steam VOIP, and same with in-game VOIP. You're an addict if you need to toke before, after, and during every single fucking DnD/Shadowrun session.

Correction: It used to not bother me. But working and playing with a bunch of fucking addicts for around an entire year? Now it does. I used to want a lot of these things legalized, now I'm conflicted. Keeping it illegal causes crimes, but having the harsh punishments on the addicts? Well... Maybe they'll change. I don't know.
Met a lot of people like this too. Thing is, you should probably still be for legalization or decriminalization. Treating addiction as a criminal problem just makes it worse. However, as Portugal and Brazil have shown, decriminalizing allows you to treat it as a mental health problem and treat it. Both places have seen addiction rates, not to mention overdose and crime rates, plummet since decriminalizing drug use.

small

Aug 5, 2014
pot. no not at all. do what you want with it i dont care as long as i dont have to smell the crap.

other drugs, definitely. ive had enough issues with amphetamine users to know i dont trust them what so ever

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I dont have a problem with people who take drugs. Ive taken drugs in the past. Speed, extasy, cocaine and weed (only a couple of times I must add)

I find it kind of sad how as a society we condemn people with a serious drug addiction but people who are addicted to food you cant make fun of them because they are fat

drug addiction is a serious illness and not something that can be solved with punitive measures

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Meriatressia said:
I have no objection to marujana.
But anything else is moronic. Legal or not.
But do you actually know that all other drugs, provided that they're pure and not abused, are definitely bad for you? Cocaine and heroin are undoubtedly bad for you, but pure MDMA and LSD for example have been shown in what limited studies have been authorised to be quite safe. This is all relatively speaking of course.

Meriatressia said:
And I also am inclined to believe the part about it causes more cancer than tobacco.
I'm not going to try to change your opinion about people who take drugs or justify my use, I'm just trying foster informed and sedate discussion, but I'm sorry, your assertion has no factual basis. It may be your opinion that the other drugs cause cancer but the science does not back that up at all.

Meriatressia said:
Of all the smoking things, tobacco may be the safest.
Gosh, no! It's not as bad as crack, but it's so, so much worse than marijuana.

Meriatressia said:
No, it is not a cure for cancer. It has limited medical use, I suspect.
And that medical use will turn to addiction fast in some cases.
Every pothead fucktard claims that it cures cancer. It doesn't. There's plenty of in vitro evidence that it redacts tumours, and a little in vivo, but there's no hard evidence that it can cure cancer in human patients. As for no medical use? That's another story. It has actually been shown to be highly effective for relieving symptoms of multiple sclerosis and arthritis, and it's probably the most effective palliative adjuvant to chemotherapy. Weed is not highly physiologically addictive, certainly less so than alcohol, but it's all about management and education. I can still buy codeine over the counter in most European countries. Also, why tell a cancer patient undergoing chemo that they're not allowed to smoke weed because they might get addicted?

Meriatressia said:
I don't believe that it makes people chill out all the time.
A addicts going to get angry pretty fast when the withdrawl kicks in.
Cannabis has been shown to induce transient paranoia and psychosis. So has alcohol. The difference is that an alcoholic episode isn't going to be exacerbated by the fact that they're worried about being caught doing something illegal.

Meriatressia said:
Of course, some people are fine, and not addicted. They can handle it.
You can call me an "addict" and that's technically true because I'm addicted to caffeine and chocolate. I try to limit myself to only 2 squares of dark chocolate per day and no coffee after 6pm. I think I handle it pretty well.

Meriatressia said:
But some will be screaming insane addicts.
Yup, and criminalising their addiction does none of us any favours. Alcoholics don't risk a criminal record.

Meriatressia said:
The rest are death sentences.
Seriously? Isn't that a little extreme? I've never heard of anyone dying from LSD.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
tricky-crazy said:
Oh wow, finally an interesting thread !
Thank you! It's nice to see such a varied response. I like to hear both from people who agree and disagree with me.

tricky-crazy said:
If you smoke pot once a day, I'm okay with that.
Gosh, that's a lot! I don't judge anyone for their drug use (it would make me a massive hypocrite) but smoking pot once per day is not healthy at all. Even once every two weeks is way too much, in my opinion.

tricky-crazy said:
If you sniff cocaine five times a day, I don't want to see you when you'll have withdrawal.
Cocaine is off limits for me. It's one of those drugs for which an adverse reaction is unpredictable, whereas with MDMA or amphetamines you can control the dose. There's also no real way to get your hands on cocaine ethically. Ethics and health are both very important to me.

tricky-crazy said:
Now, whether some drugs are dangerous or not is not my problem, but I still care for my friends. If some of them would stick to pot, I would appreciate it a lot more than them doing acid or cocaine.
Out of curiosity, why do you consider acid dangerous? Not just you, but people in general. Acid is one of the least toxic, least addictive drugs out there. I heard a lot of myths about people going crazy whilst on acid but they're not true. Even on very high doses (*cough* I mean my fictional character) my behaviour and judgement are intact. I may see sparkly unicorns in the room and my emotions will be effected but I won't run around in fig leaves brandishing a samurai sword.

inu-kun said:
I think it's shameful how acceptable drug use today, especially if you compare to alcohol and tobacco.
I think it's shameful that drugs are criminalised and users vilified. I would not have argued that society accepts drug use, apart from alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco.

inu-kun said:
I can't open the TV without some sort of proclomation that drugs are the bestest thing ever, it's disgusting.
If you're talking just about alcohol, then yeah, but I almost never see drug use cast in a positive light on TV.

inu-kun said:
Humans shouldn't take any mind altering drugs,
Why not? Why is there something inherently wrong about transiently altering your perception/mood?

Do you drink caffeine?

inu-kun said:
live in the world, find a hobby,
I have many. I volunteer as a gymnastics coach, compete in a number of sports, hike and climb mountains regularly, I read more books in a month than most do in a year, I volunteer at an animal shelter, I... could go on, but you get the idea.

I could say the same thing about you with regards your interest in video games and anime, but that would make me a massive hypocrite.

inu-kun said:
don't destroy your body with this shit.
Do you eat processed food? Do you drink carbonated drinks? I'm among the healthiest, fittest people I know, both mentally and physically, despite having suffered from a potentially lethal illness as a teenager.

Ravesy said:
At the end of the day its addictive,
Not all drugs are addictive and potentially addictive drugs can be used responsibly.

Ravesy said:
against the law,
I personally could not give the dregs of a fuck that it's against the law. I worked in law enforcement for two years and I'm more ashamed of the things I was part of during those two years than all other events in my life combined. Criminalising drug use is immoral, impractical, and I would even go so far as to say evil. It does far more harm than good. 100 years ago having a sexual relationship outside marriage was against the law. In hindsight we can see how stupid that was.

Ravesy said:
has an effect on your personality
Excessive use of some drugs, yes. Same with a lot of things. I like to think they haven't radically affected mine, err, my fictional character's.

Ravesy said:
and makes a lot of other people feel uncomfortable.
Why does this matter? Homosexuality also makes a lot of people "uncomfortable". If what I do in the privacy of my home makes people uncomfortable, it's their problem. That is assuming it's not affecting other people.