Do you hate Oblivion but love Skyrim?

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
The biggest thing I like about Skyrim over Oblivion is that your weapon doesn't decay over use and you don't have to buy any repair hammers. I hated that.

I also prefer the level system.

Hail Sithis!

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
the people in oblivion are effing disturbing and do creepy effing things with their faces and voices lol the animating with people is awful, but it was great in its time. thats all i have against it. all else is sha-wiggity, and i have yet to play skyrim.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I didn't hate Oblivion. My feelings towards it are kind of unusual. I enjoyed the game a lot, but I still don't think the game is very good. If that makes sense at all. Doesn't to me.
But yeah, I love Skyrim.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I hate Oblivion with a passion.
- Horrible zoom-in on absolutely the ugliest characters I've ever seen.
- Horrid character animations.
- None of the characters are memorable or even remotely likable.
- Dungeons are all the same, oblivion gates are all the same, the countryside is all very similar, all the towns are identically forgettable.
- A main storyline that was pretty much the worst I've ever seen (hey, close an oblivion gate 50 times and ta-da it's all over).
- Horrid, horrid combat, absolutely retarded leveling system, extremely clunky inventory... I could keep ranting for hours but I'll stop there. Oblivion is about the only game I've ever not finished, it's that bad.

I wouldn't say I loooove Skyrim, I sure like it a lot, but I'm still mindful of some of it's more glaring flaws.
- Skyrim had environments done right, the world was absolutely b-e-a-utiful this time around. The towns are all very unique.
- The dungeons, while still being samey in some ways, are a whole hellofalot more varied then oblivion.
- The main story was actually very good. The whole norse theme with shouts and dragons was absolutely top-notch IMO.
- The characters, while still as forgettable, are at least better voice-acted and the character models are excellent.
- The combat, while not as improved as I'd like, is at least a step up from "Oh god why am I playing this, this is torture not fun" to "not that deep, but passable I suppose".

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't "hate" oblivion. I just think that they could have done a LOT of stuff better.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
I liked Oblivion better than Skyrim. I miss leveling up by performing basic actions such as running, swimming in jumping. Sometimes I catch myself jumping around in Skyrim and I'm not really sure why.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I was not a fan of Oblivion, but I am a massive fan of Skyrim. I just think the basic combat mechanics and the look of the game is a lot better. That and, while there are still not that many different voices, it hasn't annoyed me at all.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I personally loved Oblivion. It was the first big game I played with just limitless shit I couldn't comprehend, and I loved it. I had no idea what I was getting into, and when I stepped out into the real world, I was stunned.

I sort of knew what I was getting into with Skyrim, which kind of killed off a little bit of the magic for me, but despite having huge expectations it matched them pretty solidly. Right about now, I say I enjoyed both pretty equally. I feel as though Skyrim has much more personality in it than Oblivion (what with improved combat and getting rid of all the potentially useless shit that no one reeally used), it overall is a great improvement. I'm also appreciating the environments much more than I had at the start of the game, which is also a huge plus.

It's overall better in every single aspect, so it's not hard to see why people love it.
Anthraxus said:
Since when is a linear corridor with a few rooms that branch off and a quick shortcut out, an "awesome dungeon" ?

A far cry from a fiendish D&D labyrinth type dungeon that a supposed epic fantasy game truly deserves.
Well, for one you made the mistake of thinking "open ended" automatically better than linear. I much more prefer walking through a well made linear dungeon that actually feels like it has some life and personality to it than the copy and pasted rock wall maze that so many other's use.

Not to mention that most people I know that played Skyrim don't particularly care to be isolated in a small environment like a dungeon in a game that prides itself in being an Open world game.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
It's not that I hated Oblivion, it's more that I was very easily bored of it. I could understand why people loved it when it came out, and it's not a terrible game, but after a while, I couldn't finish it because it felt rather repetitive.

Firstly, I got screwed over by the leveling system. If you don't level right, you're fucked. Hell, you can't just focus on a single type of character. I went through so many character redesigns that the first few quests made want to blow my goddamn brains out. I finally decided that I'll just be a straight up warrior that focuses with just a sword and shield. And for a while, that worked. That is until I encountered enemies that were immune to non magical damage. And having absolutely no skill in magic, I was fucked. I couldn't just focus on one type of character. It seemed like every choice I made was the wrong choice and the game just got unreasonably harder and harder.

After toning down the difficulty slider by a few notches [small](which is very humiliating, by the way)[/small], I started to enjoy the game a little bit more. But after a while, I could see a small problem... well, actually, it's a big problem. It was very repetitive and boring. Everywhere I went, it felt like the same Ayleid ruin, the same fort, the same cave, same goddamn country side. Hell, none of the quests felt really engaging or memorable, and I went through the whole Arena, Fighters, and Mages Guild quests. Nothing.

Skyrim? I'm not having any of those problems. The world feels varied [small](ex: I always expect to see something I've seen before, until I see a goddamn forest in a draugr cave and go HOLY SHIT)[/small] and the enemies level with you at a reasonable pace. Plus, leveling is easy and it doesn't feel like there's any wrong answers to play style.

BUT! [small](tee hee, butt...)[/small] I realize that the same feelings could have been said for Oblivion upon release. Maybe the fact that it's new has me giving it much more praise than I should. I have a feeling that in a few years time, I'll look back on Skyrim and have the same criticisms for Skyrim.

So yeah, I'm not a huge Oblivion fan and I'm really liking Skyrim, but I'm aware of why people like(d) Oblivion and that Skyrim won't age too well.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
JonnyHG said:
I liked Oblivion better than Skyrim. I miss leveling up by performing basic actions such as running, swimming in jumping. Sometimes I catch myself jumping around in Skyrim and I'm not really sure why.
I agree with you. I do miss acrobatics (athletics, not so much) and often jump around on Skyrim for no obvious reason. I can only assume it's some kind of Oblivion nostalgia.

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
I kind of liked Oblivion, but I just can't get past the fact that the leveling system is so stupidly done and explained your options were to carefully monitor EVERYTHING down to how much you ran, or never slept and cut yourself off from all the higher level benefits like the cool armor and certain quests as well as just the feeling of progression.

Skyrim, on the other hand, I absolutely adore...not entirely sure why, just do.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I hated Oblivion i was enjoying Skyrim to an extent until it turned into a buggy mess on me.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I am an optimist. I feel that I am fully capable of disliking both of them equally. Neither are truly bad games, but they both are prone to the irrational hype machine that surrounds TES and filled with mundane flaws that make both entries rather tedious.

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
Skyrim is obviously an improvement to Oblivion, and while I will say that I like Skyrim a lot more than Oblivion, I don't think I can honestly say I hate(d) it.

When I first played Oblivion I thought it was pretty cool, and I let the experience of the game mask many of the outstanding flaws it had.

All of those flaws became clear after playing two minutes of Skyrim. You really start to notice how Oblivion broke the flow and immersion of the game when talking to people, zooming in 5x so you can see the weird looking beast made of play-dough trying to communicate with you. And don't get me started on diversity in the environment. Visit one part of the map in Oblivion and you've basically seen everything. The caves are all the same; going down a brown tunnel until you reach the end. And (this is really just an annoyance) the ruins you visit are way too fucking dark.

Skyrim feels much smoother, and planned so that the player is invested in the world. Characters talk like normal people (and look much better), the environment changes as you travel the world, the music is orgasmic.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
I thought Oblivion was a wretched piece of shit.

Skyrim on the other hand is currently eating all my spare time