Do you hate people who argue till they are blue in the face, even though you know they are wrong?

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
I study music,

We are given a clear cut definition of what music is, what it is open to and how to create it.

Yet people argue the content of the book because Wikipedia says something different...

Who let these kids have access to the internet?

Do you hate these sort of people ?

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
I study music,

We are given a clear cut definition of what music is, what it is open to and how to create it.

Yet people argue the content of the book because Wikipedia says something different...

More pity then while I'm walking away and they're getting blue in the face staring at my back.

I'm kinda interested in what the clear cut definition of music is, what it's open to and how to create it.

Can you enlighten me please?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Grant Hobba said:
I study music,

Music is nothing more than a regurgitated splooge of noise that vaguely represents a mathematical harmony. No shut up, your wrong I'm right! :p

Yes I absolutely hate that, it drives me crazy when I know I'm right, I can hold proof in my hand that I'm right, and yet someone still says I'm wrong. I don't mind ignorant people, they don't know any better. However, you mix arrogance with ignorance and we have a problem.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It's even worse when it finally sinks in that they are wrong, and rather than having the courage to admit it, they then say something like "Who cares anyway?" or "I was only joking" even when they clearly did and they weren't.

Then of course if you point out that fact everybody makes it seems like you are the one being argumentative.

Which is why I normally avoid any arguments and just shut my mouth if people are starting to head in that direction.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Amethyst Wind said:
I'm kinda interested in what the clear cut definition of music is, what it's open to and how to create it.

Indeed I wasn't aware music had a clear cut definition, I'm pretty sure it's like art.
subjective and all that.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
Grant Hobba said:
I study music,

More pity then while I'm walking away and they're getting blue in the face staring at my back.

The definition of music that he gives is "The art of combining vocal sounds to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion, using musical instruments from the four categories of instrument, brass wind, stringed and percussion." in http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385559-Poll-Dubstep-Music-or-not-music?page=10

He has absolutely no argument other than "The textbook said so," which is pants on head retarded, and insults anyone who disagrees with him. And now he has a thread about it, and he is the very thing he hates.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Womplord said:
The definition of music that he gives is "The art of combining vocal sounds to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion, using musical instruments from the four categories of instrument, brass wind, stringed and percussion." in http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385559-Poll-Dubstep-Music-or-not-music?page=10

He has absolutely no argument other than "The textbook said so," which is pants on head retarded, and insults anyone who disagrees with him. And now he has a thread about it, and he is the very thing he hates.
This clears things up nicely, thank you.
It's good to have a little bit of context.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
oh hai guys! whats going on!

hmmmm

Grant Hobba said:
I study music,

ok..I want to try somthing different

now this here is "Bloody tears" originally composed for the NES castlevania 2..as you can see it is in 8-bit form and electronic

and from everything you have said it is not music

now lets see it on piano (after the little intro)

now acording to you the first one isn't music while the second one is..yet they are essentially the same

does this not seem odd at all?

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I'll continue to argue if I know I'm wrong just to be awkward. :) When you start to go blue in the face then I know my mission is successful.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Trilligan said:
Vault101 said:
Trilligan said:
Omigod, the irony! Words cannot describe the irony.
I knew my persistance would pay off!

a thread in my honour!
You have well and truly earned it. Godspeed you, Miss, you are a testament to fortitude.
oh but you want to know the best part!?

[quote/]Who let these kids have access to the internet?[/quote]

this guy is 19!

I'm 20

so obviously he's some kind of musical protige because BY GOD is this guy the authority on music (well his textbook but whatever)

LOOK OUT GUYS.....HE KNOWS IT ALL

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Music is an artform, therefore it is subjective, and just like art, the definition of what it is is directly linked to the culture of the time.

When Picasso started painting in his abstract style many art scholars and patrons railed against the idea that his contemporary pieces should be considered 'art'. His pictures were seen as an abomination, just look at this monstrosity:

Do you want to know what the art critics of the day found so distasteful? He included black lines around his furniture, and black lines like that don't appear in real life.
Nowadays Picasso is seen as a visionary and a legendary artist, even though at the time his works did not fit into the percieved definition of acceptable art.

The definitions of what is art and what is music is tied to culture and society. With new technology and new philosophy the definitions must be changed, amended and even scrapped entirely.
Art is a malleable thing that moulds itself around society, society should not be moulded and constrained by art.

I do believe that there is a place for electronic systems in the definition of music, as other people have pointed to the 8-bit videogame electronic music, which is music. You have to evaluate your textbooks and sources, and when your textbook is telling you something that is not reflected in the real world (music can only be made by 4 types of instrument - but here's a fifth that's creating great music) then it's time to get the tip-ex out and create an amended 2nd edition of your textbook.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
How about this definition:
Sounds presented in such a way as to provoke emotion in addition to the emotion provoked by whatever lyrical piece said sound may be attached to.

Edit: Just read a bit from the thread that gave birth to this. Oh my gods the irony.
OP is really that convinced that if you don't use "approved" instruments to play music, it's not music?
I do not forget how diverse electronica is, I just don't agree nor promote it's use in music because I wholly believe it has no place in music....
I seldom laugh at posters, but... Oh wo-ho-ho-how.
Just wow.
Oh an synthesizers are not instruments.

Get a load of this guy.
Gods, he's like a goldmine of priceless quotes.

And he's so horribly and consistently rude you can make as much fun of this idiot as you want without feeling bad for it.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I feel it's likely to make my day in a while.

And he's telling people to grow up because they won't accept the "factual definition" of music, fucking music, that he found in his textbook.
He's such a picture perfect early university student it hurts.

Hey, dude, let me blow your mind for a moment: Have you ever considered the thought that there exists more than one music textbook in the world? Have you ever considered that some of these may use definitions of music that aren't exactly the same as the definition in your book?
If you come across such a book, then what do you do?
After all, what it says must be fact because it's a textbook, but that other book is also a textbook so what it says must also be fact. But their definitions don't agree. What do you do now???!!!

OP pretty much considers all of modern jazz "not music". Fucking jazz, man.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Vault101 said:
this guy is 19!

I'm 20
That's funny, he was born in May of 91, you in December of 91.
So technically, he's older than you.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
How is taking Wikipedia as uncontestable evidence anymore bigoted than saying the same thing about a book? There is not a single book out there that deserves that status.
the thing is I wasn't even taking Wikipedia as "uncontestible evidence"

I grabbed a number of definitions of music off the web to show that *shock horror* definitions can vary

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385559-Poll-Dubstep-Music-or-not-music?page=10#15368048