Do you have a favorite classic arcade game?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
One that you like enough that you'd want (or maybe even already have) a machine of it in your home (or one you just like best even if you'd never want a machine for it)

We talk so much about modern triple A titles, new indie games hitting stuff like Steam, and even classic NES games and such, but I never really hear much about classic arcade titles.

Galaga, Centipede, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, just whatever.

What is/are your favorite like early 80's arcade titles

For me it's Zoo Keeper. I've spent hours on that title. That game being on the Taito Legends disc is honestly one of the biggest reasons my PS2 is still plugged in. It's just a lot of fun, and it's addictive

I'd also like to give runner up status to the Namco classic, Mappy. That was one of the biggest games for me when I was a kid because I just loved the character. According to my parents, I spent a brief period wanting to be a cop because of Mappy.

I got so excited when I found out it'd been released for iOS devices so I can play it anytime I want. I can only hope Taito eventually does the same with Zoo Keeper.

And while this doesn't really count because it's a modern game just to resemble an old arcade title, I actually did have a lot of fun with Fix-It-Felix Jr.

So yeah just...favorite old arcade titles. What's yours, and what's your story with it?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The dentist office I went to as a kid had a bunch of free arcade machines.

My 2 favorite were Kangaroo and Donkey Kong 3.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Oh yeah, I remember Kangaroo. That was a good one.

I remember playing DK3 as a kid and not really knowing what to do lol

I wonder whatever happened to Stanley from what game. Has he appeared in any other titles? He should be in the new SSB :p He could spray bug spray all over everybody.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Why specify early 80s?!
I bet a majority of people here weren't even born then.

As for myself, I was a beast at Zaxxon.
As in, I was one of those players who could play for hours on 1 credit.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
The one I was always looking for when I went into the arcades was the Aliens game. I think it was probably just the fact I was playing Aliens though.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Moon Patrol!

The first video game I ever played, and I still reckon it's pretty fun.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Does the Xbox Live Arcade version of Dig Dug count? I've played quite a few arcade games, but I wasn't even alive in the early 80's.

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
Windknight said:
The one I was always looking for when I went into the arcades was the Aliens game. I think it was probably just the fact I was playing Aliens though.

Amen brother!!
I downloaded MAME, got the ROM, was so excited I built a cabinet; happier than I've ever been.
And it's a better game than colonial marines, which I still haven't forgiven. Makes me want to look for a model of the dropship or the APC...
Let's Rock!!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dont think I really had a favourite but I do remember playing Outrun a lot in the 80s at arcades when the old man would take me sometimes. I do not like racing games but Outrun proved an exception (and still its the only one) I remember being hardly able to see the screen and press the pedals when I first played it actually I think the old man had to grab me under one arm while I steered (badly no doubt) and he pressed the pedals.

One of my earliest gaming memories is playing Outrun in an arcade thinking about it I must have been about 3 or so.

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
If you don't count pinball (which wins hands down), I would have to say my favorite was Spy Hunter. The arcade I went to had the cabinet that you sat down in and as a little kid it was awesome.

Pinball is still the best arcade game though.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Good shout with Mappy OP.

Don't forget the music, the music in that game is glorious.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Is Guilty Gear classic enough?

I don't think I was old enough to even know about arcades for the really old stuff.
My brother bought some Sega collections thing and I got to play Golden Axe which I liked.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's up in the air between one of the two TMNT arcade games and X-Men. They're all soooo good!

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
I've always been a fan of the Simpsons arcade game. There was a cabinet at a local department store for a few years, but they replaced it with a Ms. Pac-Man machine and I stopped caring.

There was also the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game that I really liked, but that might be too recent to count.

Galaga will always be my favorite arcade game. I'm planning on getting a cabinet version of it at some point in the future when I have more living space.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Robotron 2084. Moon Patrol is very cool too.

A twin stick shooter and an endless runner. Still big in the indie scene today but hardly ever bettered.

Also love Rygar. Actually I could go on all night so I'll just stop here.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Danceofmasks said:
Why specify early 80s?!
I bet a majority of people here weren't even born then.

As for myself, I was a beast at Zaxxon.
As in, I was one of those players who could play for hours on 1 credit.
It doesn't specifically have to be. For some people a favorite arcade game can just be the one they played when they were younger. I mean I wasn't even born back then myself, the earliest arcade game I remember playing was one of the Metal Slugs.

I just decided to ask what game people liked from that era of gaming, but of course it's not a set in stone rule. Quite a few people here have given answers from later eras, arcade games they loved, and that's just fine :)

Smeatza said:
Good shout with Mappy OP.

Don't forget the music, the music in that game is glorious.
Oh yes, of course. Great music.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There's a local pizza place in the town I grew up in called Pizza Stop: It never really had a ton of arcade games, just 2 or 3 but whenever it switched out a bigger one (bigger being an SNK-multi or, Neo*Geo-multi or, Soul Edge machine) one machine always stuck around and still sits in the dining room:

This only in a pizza parlor. I played a bit of Ms. Pac Man but Galaga was by far my favorite of the two games. Any time I see a stand-alone Galaga machine I have to stop by and pop in a quarter.

A close second would be any given Konami beat-em-up (TMNT, X-Men, Simpsons). Fun fact: I have never once seen or played the Turtles in Time Arcade machine...I am deprived like that...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would also have to say Mrs. Pac-Man, primarily on the grounds that it is the only game that my mother enjoys and is actually good at. I'd wager that she'd still be able to beat me at it, despite her not playing it for quite some time now.