Do you have any weird hygiene quirks?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Picking up my own dirty laundry? Totally fine.

Picking up someone else's dirty laundry? No way. Underwear and socks are my biggest hatred, it makes me feel sick. I can feel the germs and dirt crawl all over my hands when I pick up someone else's socks and I start cringing and shaking and running around desperately to put them in the washing machine. I have to run straight to the sink and wash my hands thoroughly after handling other people's clothes.

Even when I lived with my old boyfriend. Touching his dick was fine but picking up his dirty socks? Fuck that.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Tactical Pause said:
Chalk up another point for the hand-washers. Over the last couple years I've started washing my hands more and more often, to the point where I probably average 20-25 hand-washings per day. I've considered trying to ease up on it, but I figure it's not so bad as far as compulsions go.
You wash your hands more times then I do in a year. I like never wash mine. I welcome the germs to help with my immune system it helps I only get sick once in a blue moon like 3-5 years apart.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
I can't touch the bathroom door handle without getting a really uncomfortable feeling in my head and my hand feels dirty; I always take a sheet of toilet paper to open the door with. It's 100% in my mind, as well; I've actively cleaned, sanitized and cleansed that door handle but even still I can't touch it.

And if something has been near somebody else's mouth (a drink bottle, etc), I won't touch it (not just with my mouth; I won't even pick it up). The thought of having somebody's saliva on my hand makes my back crawl.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Im not very overly concerned with strict hygene.

I work with medical waste everyday and have found myself getting less sick than i used to due to an immunity build up.

I wash my hands at work before eating. and have a shower at home and thats about it.

if i do nothing at home all day i wont even shower

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Whenever I blow my nose I blow it one nostril at a time, it just feels like it clears it better.
Whenever I sneeze I let it out fullblown without trying to suppress it, if I don't I shoot snot and food out my nose and get a double nose bleed, my sneeze can be heard from down the street and literally shakes the house.
I can never ever ever get my nails straight or proper, they're always getting little bits of pencil eraser and dirt stuck in them.
I only wash my bedding once every two weeks and throughout the two weeks I just add another sheet every 3-4 days.
Sometimes I'll forget to brush my teeth up to four-five days straight other days I'll brush them rigorously 5-6 times in a single day, I don't obey a strict hygenic regimen but rather just do stuff when I feel it needs doing. (I.E. if my teeth feel gross I'll brush em, if not I won't even think about it)
I never go out of my way to get dental floss so I usually just don't floss but when I have it I carry it around in my pocket and use it after every single meal.
I always go to the bathroom or try to find somewhere private before farting.
I take 15-30 minute long showers every single day sometimes twice a day.
Sometime's I'll take a long hot bath, drain all the water, and just sit in the empty tub for as long as 20 minutes.
I can't go to the bathroom in public restrooms IF someone else is in there. Like, I'll start going Pee someone will walk in and I'll just stop, they'll walk up go pee and I'll just be standing there holding my junk looking like an idiot.
Whenever I get a zit I immediately have to pop it.
I only ever really wash my hands after going to bathroom, This means sometimes I might do something like dig fence posts all day and have hands that are clearly dirty and I'll still eat my burger with them. in fact straight up dirt has never really bothered me at all. Different story for organic matter though.
I'm a total slob in my bedroom and huge neat freak everywhere else.
I generally wear the same pair of pants 2-4 days in a row but I NEVER wear anything else two days in a row.
I have a bad habit of resting my head on my hand and as such have developed a swathe of acne across my face where I usually rest it.
if someone talks to me while I'm eating I'll respond without regard to the food in my mouth.
my air mattress popped 2 month agos so I've just been sleeping on the floor cuddled with my out door cat who is constantly dragging in dirt.
I prefer sitting on the floor than a precarious chair.
I'm not afraid to sleep on the ground. During my classes 2 hour break I tend to sleep underneath this huge pine tree despite it being quite dirty.
I subconsciously take my shoes off everytime I enter a home-sometimes a HUGE mistake
if I'm going outside for just a little bit (I.e. to take out the trash) I'll just go barefoot.
I always wipe the toilet seat off with toilet paper before I sit down.
I bite my nails.
I always completely close the toilet before flushing
I clean my room once every two weeks but until then I just let it grow steadily more and more filthy gathering dishes, pop cans, dirty laundry, out of place knick knacks and garbage then I just spend an entire day cleaning the whole damn thing and always end up reorganizing everything.

I think that's all my hygienic quirks might be more I can't remember off the top of my head.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I can't touch food... I hate it! If it is something that you normally eat with hands, like Burgers or Pizza, I use cutlery! It really bothers me if I dont.

The only things I will eat with hands are sandwiches and crisps, and that is for ease, but I always wash my hands afterwards.

This is because I hate the feel of any substance on my hands. It extends further than just food though, paint, oil, glue, sand, if it sticks to hands I hate it! I even find if I am doing the washing up I subconciously dry my hands between washing items!

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Got sick with how unsanitary it is chewing my finger nails so I opted to carrying around a pair of nail clippers around with me where ever I am in the house to keep them trimmed really short.

It's a trade off but I prefer the occasional cut to the occasional infection.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Does throwing up when brushing my teeth count? Mainly the act of brushing my teeth causes my gag reflex to kick in and hard. Thank God for mouth wash.

Also I don't use shaving cream when shaving, cause I am a man (actually it is just easier for me to go without it when shaving in the shower).

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Don't wash my hands in public toilets. Sorry, hand-washers, especially guy who would tell me in public. But have you seen public toilets? No way anything in there is clean. Some people do their business, then just rinse their hands and get grossness all over the taps and door handle. I'm not going to wash my hands, touching taps that have been touched by gross people, touching the soap dispenser that's been touched by gross people, and then touching the door handle that's been touched by other gross people, all that's probably dirtier than my hands were in the first place.

...Also if nobody else is in the toilet I open the door with my feet. Push or pull.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I have a thing with feet. I always wash my own feet thoroughly, and I'll keep my toenails short even if it means injuring myself. Honestly, I find them disgusting; you either don't wear socks or closed shoes or you clean up properly. I also have problems with people going barefoot, for the above reasons.

I always used to carry around hand-wash, until one day I thought, "eh, fuck it" and dropped it into a skip on the way to school. I was going to have indirect contact with 15 penises, 8 vaginas and have my hands become a breeding ground for festering germs that PETA would have trouble with the eradication of even if I did have handwash with me, so I just stopped.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I have ocd.I wash my hands 30,40 or even 50 times per day and rub them with alcohol after each and every time.During the winter my skin starts to crack and bleeds and yet i still keep washing them.I also wash my lower body every time i use the bathroom.(yes even when i am taking a piss)
I also periodically sanitize(as in every day) all the devices i touch.(m&K and such)
In general i am obsessed with cleanliness. examples: i take off my shoes before i enter the house,i clean and dust the entire house every day and other things like that.
It actually gets even weirder than that but i do not wish to mention anymore.
Trust me you would not want to live with me.The entire house smells like a mix of cleaning products.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Don't wash my hands in public toilets. Sorry, hand-washers, especially guy who would tell me in public. But have you seen public toilets? No way anything in there is clean. Some people do their business, then just rinse their hands and get grossness all over the taps and door handle. I'm not going to wash my hands, touching taps that have been touched by gross people, touching the soap dispenser that's been touched by gross people, and then touching the door handle that's been touched by other gross people, all that's probably dirtier than my hands were in the first place.

...Also if nobody else is in the toilet I open the door with my feet. Push or pull.
Thats pretty gross / amateurish, obviously what you do is thus

1. Turn on the tap with your hand if it is not a sensor sink
2. Wash hands
3. Turn off tap with paper towel, if there is no paper towel use toilet paper
4. Open door with paper towel / toilet paper.

Easy, and you now have clean hands

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
I always use two squares of toilet paper per wipe. Exactly two. I will put the paper in the toilet without wiping if I get one or three and try again.

Also, the paper has to be floppy bit in front. If not, I will change it back.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
I wash my hands 50-60 times a day, usually 4-5 times each time I "need" to wash them. I'm much better now than I was. A few years ago I got trapped in the bathroom for half an hour repeatedly washing my hands and having a bit of a breakdown. It's a symptom of my OCD and it's not particularly pleasant. I'd much prefer the straight lines OCD than the scrub your hands til they bleed kind.

Shepard-Commander said:
I have ocd.I wash my hands 30,40 or even 50 times per day and rub them with alcohol after each and every time.During the winter my skin starts to crack and bleeds and yet i still keep washing them.I also wash my lower body every time i use the bathroom.(yes even when i am taking a piss)
I also periodically sanitize(as in every day) all the devices i touch.(m&K and such)
In general i am obsessed with cleanliness. examples: i take off my shoes before i enter the house,i clean and dust the entire house every day and other things like that.
It actually gets even weirder than that but i do not wish to mention anymore.
Trust me you would not want to live with me.The entire house smells like a mix of cleaning products.
Your house sounds like heaven. I'm so sorry though, I know exactly what that's like.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I cut my fingernails and toenails once a week, partly because I play guitar and I tap a lot when playing. And I don't like having holes ripped in my socks.
And because I work in a meat packaging warehouse right now, I obsessively wash my hands.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Shepard-Commander said:
I wash my hands 30,40 or even 50 times per day and rub them with alcohol after each and every time.During the winter my skin starts to crack and bleeds and yet i still keep washing them.
I also used to wash my hands so much that they'd crack and bleed. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe I did this up through 8th grade. Thankfully, I'm not that bad about it anymore. I do usually wash my hands after I eat anything with my hands, and I usually wash them before I play video games so I don't get grease or anything on the controllers.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Happiness Assassin said:
Does throwing up when brushing my teeth count? Mainly the act of brushing my teeth causes my gag reflex to kick in and hard. Thank God for mouth wash.

Also I don't use shaving cream when shaving, cause I am a man (actually it is just easier for me to go without it when shaving in the shower).
If you make a fist with your left hand and wrap it around your left thumb it can help suppress you gag reflex. I'm not fucking with you it works. My roommate had a similar problem. Now that she knows that she doesn't need to worry.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
blackrave said:
Also I sitting on warm toilet after someone else is a big nono
Whenever I can I wait for few minutes for it to cool down
OMG, I totally understand! One thing I hate is when there's a line for a stall and so you have to walk in right after someone's come out. If they did a #2? GAG!!! I'll actually stand there for a minute with my shirt over my nose, leave the stall, and then immediately find another restroom. The thought of getting splashback from someone's poopy water (even when hovering) is too much to take.

--------------------------------------

TheRiddler said:
Also, the paper has to be floppy bit in front. If not, I will change it back.

--------------------------------------

mitchell271 said:
I cut my fingernails...once a week, partly because I play guitar...And I don't like having holes ripped in my socks.
Same with me, for the very same reason. I also do it for playing my bass and my keyboard.

And once my toe pops through a sock? It's gone, daddy-o!

Eeeee0000

May 18, 2011
I'm quite dirty compared to a lot of people here- I wash my hands when I've been to the toilet, but I don't always use soap (but I do always use soap if it was a number two..) but I don't clean my hands just before eating. I will also brush my mud-covered hands somewhat clean down my trousers and then use them to eat my sandwich, am not picky about using the same cutting board for everything that meal (not eating meat helps with this one, of course)and will eat food that has fallen on the floor.
I will, however, always clean the toilet seat with a piece of paper before sitting down. It's a habit I picked up when someone in my home couldn't pee correctly (probably a little sister?) and there would occasionally be droplets. Always cleaning makes sure I don't miss those. It also makes sure I don't realize the toilet paper is gone when I'm done.