Do you have trouble finishing games?

james0192

Meh!
Oct 12, 2009
Very Rarely do I finish a game tbh.
By my count I've played (not owned, some borrowed rented etc.) 77 different ps3 retail and psn games. after you take out games like fifa and gran turismo which you don't really finish i've had 67. Of those 67 i've finished (by which I mean the main story/campaign) 19. 6 of which i've completed twice and 2 three times.
I've also got 18 360 games, 4 of which are guitar hero games which you don't really finish. of the remaining 14 i've completed 3.
So yeah, I start lots of games and only really finish the ones I really really like!

Side Note: Christ, I never really realised quite how many games I've got!

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Just have to point out that you didn't even START Oblivion. Not getting out of the sewers is like reading part of the preface of a book and then saying you didn't finish it.

I don't exactly have this problem, but something similar. Deus Ex is the best example as it is the more recent. Once I got to Heng Sha for the first time, I made a new Jenson because I wanted different augs and weapons upgraded. Then 2 days later I had 4 profiles all doing side missions in detroit. I finished the game for the first time about 2weeks ago.........
-I always tend to ruin any pacing by exploring or restarting....

Liviola

May 9, 2011
I can agree with you about having a short attention span. I've played well into many, many games only to get bored of and totally quit with no intention of going back, even though they were decent (off the top of my head: basically all the Fables, all the Hitman games, my boyfriend got me to try the classic Deus Ex but I quit that after like 2 hours)

It really depends on the game. It is pretty rewarding when I come across a game with a story and/or gameplay that really compels me to finish. I recently finished Batman: Arkham Asylum (bought it when it was released but my computer had video card issues with it), and definitely one that passes the test of my attention and game-snobbery.

Anyway, it's not to say that the games we get bored of are bad games. Most of the time, it's just not the right fit. Sometimes I feel like maybe we're just too oversaturated with games as entertainment.. ? What do you think?

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
LittleBlondeGoth said:
I have trouble finishing them, but in a weird way.

If I'm really enjoying a game, say Dragon Age: Origins, then I don't want to finish it. Because then it'll be over. In the case of DA:O, I saw I was getting close to the end, so I tried to prolong the experience - sought out every side quest I could find. Created another five characters (one for each origin) so I could see those too. This is probably why most of my favourite games are long RPGs, like Bioware's or the Final Fantasy series.

I suppose it's not so much having trouble finishing them, it's not wanting them to end.
I do the exact same thing, actually. Even made another five characters in DA:O.

But then again, I'm a big fan of replaying my games if I really like 'em. Just like rereading a favorite book or rewatching a movie. So while I do have a habit of drawing out my games when I'm near the end, it never quite gets to the point of me not being able to finish them.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Liviola said:
I can agree with you about having a short attention span. I've played well into many, many games only to get bored of and totally quit with no intention of going back, even though they were decent (off the top of my head: basically all the Fables, all the Hitman games, my boyfriend got me to try the classic Deus Ex but I quit that after like 2 hours)

It really depends on the game. It is pretty rewarding when I come across a game with a story and/or gameplay that really compels me to finish. I recently finished Batman: Arkham Asylum (bought it when it was released but my computer had video card issues with it), and definitely one that passes the test of my attention and game-snobbery.

Anyway, it's not to say that the games we get bored of are bad games. Most of the time, it's just not the right fit. Sometimes I feel like maybe we're just too oversaturated with games as entertainment.. ? What do you think?
I think you're right. I remember in the SNES days when you would play a game over and over again, find every secret because you didn't have 50 games at your disposal, maybe 10 if you were lucky.

It just feels like a buffet and you don't need to fill up on turkey and gravy when there are so many other things to try.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
basm321 said:
Just have to point out that you didn't even START Oblivion. Not getting out of the sewers is like reading part of the preface of a book and then saying you didn't finish it.

I don't exactly have this problem, but something similar. Deus Ex is the best example as it is the more recent. Once I got to Heng Sha for the first time, I made a new Jenson because I wanted different augs and weapons upgraded. Then 2 days later I had 4 profiles all doing side missions in detroit. I finished the game for the first time about 2weeks ago.........
-I always tend to ruin any pacing by exploring or restarting....
Not to be difficult but I disagree. The sewers are as much a part of Oblivion as any other part. The decisions you make in the sewers affect the rest of the game, the loot you grab in the sewers doesn't disappear when you exit the sewers, it is a tutorial but an integrated one and there is no option to skip it.

I have a bad habit (and have since the NES days) of learning how to play a game and then starting over with my newfound knowledge. I used to love it but now that I finish fewer games, I feel like starting over is part of my problem.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Nope, no troubles here. I finish every game i play unless it's really crap and even then there is more than a fifty fifty chance i will finish it. I find almost every game i play too easy but then again i've been playing games longer than most of the people on this site have been alive so that is how it should be. If you haven't mastered something after 25 years practice then you need to find another hobby! :)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Before I got my 360/PS3 I rarely finished games. Don't know why, but I always ended up starting over instead of continuing, when I had taken a break from the game, then got bored on the way.
Now when there are achivements/trophies involved I always finish the games. Only three games I haven't bothered to complete so far because I thought they were so damn boring I didn't consider it was worth the rewards.

thatgeekbronnie

Sep 13, 2011
I'm notorious for this, I was honestly just thinking about this before I caught this thread. I think I've started and restarted numerous RPG's I own and have yet to finish any of them.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
I usually try to finish games unless they're just stupid hard and don't allow saving anywhere so you have to play the same part over and over again (hate that), or they're more of a movie than a game, or just designed badly and not fun.

There was the part on Call of Juarez Bound in Blood where you had to do a fastdraw showdown and even though I consider myself very good on mouse aiming, I could not do it. Haven't played the game since.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
If I don't enjoy a game, why would I bother to continue playing it? I don't really see the problem with not finishing a game. Are you trying to imply that there is?

zxamike

Jan 3, 2011
yes alot of the time i want to beat LoZ OOT i want 120 stars no super mario sunshine i love that game i want to beat a SUPER MARIO OHHHHHH RPG :D i have beat the later ones but i want to beat paper mario paper mario 2 new super mario bros with 4 pepole all the way :D the second mario RPG on a hand held i think its parkners in time (i would like to play thru them all agan) HL HL2 HL2(1) HL2 (2) doom 1 2 not 3 just alot becuse i get alot of games its hard to beat them all T_T also i am 14 and i wish i had alot of time to beat every game becuse then i would have played them all and i would love that but it will never be becuse by the time i beat every nes game i will have to be about 1000 years old i dont know how many games there are but by the time i beat nes snes n64 all the sega and arcade games so once i get thru all the old games i will be dead alredy so yes i caint beat most games

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I love long, good games that I can get involved in. I only finish games that I really don't want to play, often for graphical reasons....

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
the only time that's happened is if i've already beaten the game SO many times i'm fed up with it, though i've completed OoT 20+ times and i still enjoy playing it. I played Mystic Heroes recently and that i've completed more times than i can count with each of the characters. last time was a bit neeer but i did it

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
With me it really depends... like with a lot of other people.

Anyway, most of the TW titles, I've replayed over and over again even though gameplay becomes rather predictable. KotOR, loved to bits, CoD:MW I've replayed a lot too (don't ask, I found it fun, OK?!). I just finished WH40K:SM, and I'll probably replay a couple of the missions so... if it's an RPG/sandbox game and I enjoy it, you can bet I'm going to finish it, and take my sweet time playing it, but if I don't enjoy it, I'm just going to stop, uninstall save for later (or sell, in all likelihood) and start up something new. If it's a linear game, I'll finish it even if I have to drag myself through it. Once it's finished, I'll either replay it or sell it.

However, the TW titles, I keep, pretty much without exception (I've finished N:TW Oriental Campaign six times now... nothing beats shooting the crap out of the French!). =P

Akaelvan

Aug 30, 2011
I only finish the games I really enjoy straight away eg. KOTOR / Fable TLC

Otherwise I just create a bunch of characters, get partway through and then am usually lured away by the next pretty looking game I come across.
I sometimes finish them when the sequel is about to come out and I want it.

TheOneMavado

Jul 3, 2011
I doubt I'd ever be able to finish all my games if I so live to be 530... (no seriously, I think it would take longer to play through them all)

It doesn't help that it seems to come at least one new must have title every month or so.