Do you invert your X or Y axis?

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I remember up until around 2003 that everyone played with Y 'inverted'. I don't know when that changed to people using 'normal' I've never tried playing with X inverted intentionally, though I'm sure I've played some third person games that use it as a standard and some that don't.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I remember having a lot of trouble as a kid with dual-stick control layouts due to the Y-axis inversion, and it only cleared up somewhat when the current 'normal' took hold. Maybe it's because the first real FPSes I got to play more than a couple minutes of were on the PC, so the more logical up-is-up-down-is-down thing transferred over to consoles, but consoles rarely had the option to invert axes so I was always terribad at them. At least until Halo 1 came around and I was only kinda bad at them!

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
The games I played in my early years were all Y-inverted, so I started that way.
I was starting to think I'd imagined that though as all my older gamer friends never invert and don't remember things being that way.
Glad I found this thread, proves I'm not going crazy!

X-axis inversion is a weird one though, a lot of the games I played in the early 2000s seem to disagree over which way is inverted so I've become used to playing either way. If I change it from whatever is default, things feel wrong.