Do you know any RPGs where you don't have to grind?

dolgion

Nov 20, 2010
Yeah I'm still here, looking at the suggestions. I was thinking more of the Planescape Torment kind of RPG where combat is altogether a secondary thing. I've played most of the Bioware suggestions and they're good. Also been a fan of Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Sorry if I've been too vague in the OP.

Pokemon, Monster Hunter and such games are what I would think grind-based games. Grinding doesn't have to be a bad thing, if it's enjoyable and well designed. I'm just looking for some RPGs with more complex stories and concepts than what is usually offered in these grind-based games.

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
The most obvious example is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. You only get xp for quest. You get nothing for killing and the combat is kinda shitty.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Kaanyr Vhok said:
The most obvious example is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. You only get xp for quest. You get nothing for killing and the combat is kinda shitty.
I finally found my copy again. Yay!

AtomicPineapple

Sep 14, 2009
Personally the only RPGs I've played where I looked back after and even during and noticed that there was no grinding was Dragon Age: Orgins, and Diablo 2. D2 comes with a huge disclaimer though, I notice that the game loses the grind when you play on players 8. Because of how much extra exp you get, the increased difficulty doesnt bother me much, and if I get overwhelmed I can always tone down. But yea, DA definatly. Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well if you like shooters, there isnt much way TO grind in those, the enemies stay dead for the most part.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Vendur said:
qeinar said:
Easton Dark said:
qeinar said:
Easton Dark said:
So he can keep insulting my point of view?
Well while you might have taken it as an insult, I don't really see it like that. Also you seem to be avoding the question, instead of answering it you decided to get offended. : p
It's my choice, if someone offends me I either tell them off or ignore them. I would do the former if I thought I could get away with it, but I don't, so the latter is all that's left.

And maybe you're not offended because the post isn't directed at you or what you think saying it's wrong.

No more responds for you or this thread now!
Well your way of arguing is kinda childish. imagine in politics if someone came up with a healtcare plan, and someone goes and points out an obvious flaw to it and then he comes back with "wow that is insulting to me, you are offending me. I will not reply to you anymore, and i will not discuss the subject any further!"
I think some people. particulalry the younger generations of internet denzens, confuse the **discussion** forum concept for their blog or myspace page.

You are free to post your opinion on here, in fact I asked you to do precisely that, much like I'm free to challenge it. If you don't want people to do so, don't post your opinions or get a blog where you can block anyone from "offending" you.
Yeah it's exactly like blogs where people seem to just ignore everyone disagreeing with them or pointing out flaws in their arguments.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
thiosk said:
I never had to grind anything in mass effect, any of the final fantasy's past 1 (i did not play the X series and beyond) or in dungeons and dragons based games (baldur's gate 1 and 2)
I second this. Also, the Icewind Dale games. Though it's more straightforward dungeon-running then its Baldur's Gate cousin, IWD doesn't require sitting in one place grinding a mob. It's constantly moving forward. Almost like Call of Duty but in RPG format. Baldur's Gate is open world and I know that in BG2 dungeon encounters are based on your level. Higher then level, the more rape you encounter, so you better be ready for it. XP wise...it's again progressive. You get it as you go along. There's a website you can get them from for a low price. I highly recommend it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well anything with a decent amount of content won't have grinding, but it seems developers remembered that if they do add grind it's a simple lazyass way to prolong the game (ME2 - that horrid resource grind, DA2 - random battles and then constantly spawning hordes of enemies during fights)

And you can be 100% sure all MMO's will have it, simply because they can't have good content that will cover thousands of hours of gameplay.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Ok lets start with that list then shall we?

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2 % 3 and New Vegas
Planescape Torment
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Dragon Age 1 & 2
Alpha Protocol
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
All 4 of the Eldar Scrolls Games
Arcanum
Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
The Ultima Series (though admittedly a couple of them did include a little grinding)
A Bards Tale series
Might and Magic seires (not the lastest one, ignore that)
The Pools of Radiance series
Eye of the Behold 1 to 3
Shadowrun (the original cRPG version)
System Shock 1 & 2
Avernum (6 of them)
Deus Ex
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Gothic
Fable
Freedom Force

Thats just off the top of my head anyway. Not a complete list, and some are debateable but yea.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, unfortunately, the first thing that comes to mind here is Final Fantasy 8. But, as good chunks of the Escapist knows, I hate this game. Nevertheless, the game doesn't require a grind...BECAUSE NOBODY REALLY EVER GETS ANY BETTER!!