Do you know different martial arts or fighting styles? I need some ideas (UPDATED)

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Original Post

Yo, I'm designing a character and want him to have a very distinct way of fighting, one that can very quickly incapacitate an opponent.

I tried looking up some ideas on Wikipedia, but there are just so many styles out there, that I wouldn't know where to start. Some are too similar visually for me to understand right away and sometimes the ones I find just aren't very fun to watch.

Your pool of knowledge can come from anything; MMA, anime, video games, kung-fu movies or even One-time-I-heard-something will work. What he is being designed for isn't going to be realistic so I can take as many liberites with the style as possible.
BONUS: Videos of said styles would be awesome

BONUS BONUS: If you know of awesome gunfights from ANYTHING, drop a vid. Gun fights are bitchin.

EDIT:

Been getting some great feed back from my fellow escapists! My reference playlist is swelling! Here is a list of the Martial Arts that have been suggested thus far (that I have deemed reference for later worthy).

List 1 : Stuff I'e looked into

Akkido- Really awesome, its really compatible with what I need.

Krav Maga- BRUTAL! Awesome to watch but maybe a little too much so for the original character this thread was for. BUT I can use this for another character since I have a whole comic universe I can work with.

Nut kickery- always fun.

Muy Thai- love this type of fighting,someone always ends up bleedin in the most awesome way possible.

Piqua Quan Dragon Fist- Old school looking martial art, some fantastic poses.

Judo- I've taken a few classes in this ( long time ago) so I know its whole dealio.

Combat Sambo- bit too grapply for what I'm looking for. Referencing for later though.

List 2: Stuff I haven't looked into quite yet but have been listed

Kali
Jeet Kun DO
Sayoc (definetly looking into this one)
Silat
Kombatan
Dan
Shorinji Kempo
Drunken Boxing

(I may not have listed everyhting because HOLY CRAP do you guys deliver on the names of things)

I've allready found a good fighint ting for the character in question. Akkido suits my needs well. BUT I wanna keep the energy of the thread going and I have a whole universe of characters that I can develope. So lets choose a fighitng style for another character!

Description: She is a fun loving, beer swilling dwarven detective, who loves her guns almost as much as she loves living life. She tends to rely on her endless amount of luck, and gets enjoyment fighting without her guns as much as she does with them.

Fighting style sugggested but not decided upon is Luchador wrestling
When her fighting style is chosen, I have something fun planned to keep the thread going.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
DrunkenElfMage said:
Yo, I'm designing a character and want him to have a very distinct way of fighting, one that can very quickly incapacitate an opponent.

I tried looking up some ideas on Wikipedia, but there are just so many styles out there, that I wouldn't know where to start. Some are too similar visually for me to understand right away and sometimes the ones I find just aren't very fun to watch.

Your pool of knowledge can come from anything; MMA, anime, video games, kung-fu movies or even One-time-I-heard-something will work. What he is being designed for isn't going to be realistic so I can take as many liberites with the style as possible.

BONUS BONUS: If you know of awesome gunfights from ANYTHING, drop a vid. Gun fights are bitchin.
All my "martial arts" knowledge is pretty nitty gritty practical stuff. Nothing you'd put on a poster. Have some gunfights instead.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The ancient European martial art of Nutsackick-fu of course.

Yes, that's a genuine picture from a book about sword fencing written in 1467

Even if the guys packing a 5 foot metal sword, the nut shot never fails. A character whose fighting style revolves exclusively around kicking people in the nuts. There's a book I'd read.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
If you want quick incapacitation, just have the character fight dirty. Like this:

Though if you want to keep it 'fair', you're probably going to want to give Krav Maga a glance. Quoting wiki on the matter: "Krav Maga has a philosophy emphasizing threat neutralization, simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers, and aggression. [It] is used by Israeli Defense Forces, both regular and special forces, and several closely related variations have been developed and adopted by law enforcement and intelligence organizations, Mossad and Shin Bet." As I understand it, it's one of the few martial arts to have a truly practical application because it encourages you to brutally end a threat as quickly as possible.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
What exactly do you mean by "incapacitate?"

Do you want a fighting style that would knock out your opponent, or just make them unable to fight back?

Personally I've always been a fan of aikido, which is a japanese martial art that uses a lot of pressure points and grappling techniques. It's very good for people who are smaller in stature because it teaches how to fight opponents bigger than you and use their size and strength against them to your advantage because it essentially redirects the energy of your opponent's attack (for example if your opponent steps in for a punch you can use that momentum to throw them). It is a more defensive martial art than it is offensive, and many times relies on your opponent making the first move.

It's not exactly flashy, but it is very effective.

It's also the martial art that Steven Seagal uses if you you're interested in how it would look on the big screen.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:

Do you want a fighting style that would knock out your opponent, or just make them unable to fight back?

Personally I've always been a fan of aikido, which is a japanese martial art that uses a lot of pressure points and grappling techniques. It's very good for people who are smaller in stature because it teaches how to fight opponents bigger than you and use their size and strength against them to your advantage because it essentially redirects the energy of your opponent's attack (for example if your opponent steps in for a punch you can use that momentum to throw them). It is a more defensive martial art than it is offensive, and many times relies on your opponent making the first move.

It's also the martial art that Steven Seagal uses if you you're interested in how it would look on the big screen.
Ah yes Akido, I knew there was a fighting style that I was thinking about when I made this post, but couldn't quite name it. It suits my needs pretty well actually.

Not that I'm against looking at any other ideas though. Might find something more interesting to look at down the line.

Never heard of this Steven Seagull guy, I only like action heroes with no acting talent and covered in fake tan. Is he like that?

AwesomeHatMan

Jul 24, 2012
As someone who has never practiced a martial art in their life I believe I am qualified to say Muay Thai looks badass and may be what you want

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Asita said:
Though if you want to keep it 'fair', you're probably going to want to give Krav Maga a glance. Quoting wiki on the matter: "Krav Maga has a philosophy emphasizing threat neutralization, simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers, and aggression. [It] is used by Israeli Defense Forces, both regular and special forces, and several closely related variations have been developed and adopted by law enforcement and intelligence organizations, Mossad and Shin Bet." As I understand it, it's one of the few martial arts to have a truly practical application because it encourages you to brutally end a threat as quickly as possible.
Dude, I just looked it up and Krav Maga IS AWESOME. I was flinching the entire time I was watching the demonstration video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

Its so brutal though, it might be just a little to much. Most of the stuff seems like it would break a few bones, which is extreme for what I have in mind with my character. BUT he lives in a wide and expansive universe, so I will probably design someone just so I can have a character that DOES do Krav Maga.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:

Even if the guys packing a 5 foot metal sword, the nut shot never fails. A character whose fighting style revolves exclusively around kicking people in the nuts. There's a book I'd read.
That looks a lot more like a front kick to the lower abdomen to me, but your point is still valid. A kick to the nuts can be a superb move.

Josh Ward said:
As someone who has never practiced a martial art in their life I believe I am qualified to say Muay Thai looks badass and may be what you want
Indeed; a flying knee to the face works too!

Really, there are a lot of martial arts (or indeed improvised instinctual) moves that will take out a fellow in one hit.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Gun fights you say, I'll give you GUN KATA

If you are looking for a distinctive fighting style you could always go with Tai Chi. I can't find a good youtube vid but when its done well the guy fighting just looks so laid back.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Well, I'm only a novice, but it is undeniable that the ancient Lancastrian martial art of Ecky Thump is both highly distinctive and effective. However I would be thrown out of the order if I revealed any of its secrets.
It's hitting people over the head with a black pudding

I'd post the video, but it's from a comedy show from the 70s and is considerably more racist than I remember it being when I first saw it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I studied Jeet Kun Do mostly which is a mix of a lot of different fighting styles. By far the most quick and efficient of those was Kali. Inosanto style Kali (I had the benefit of training a couple of times with Dan himself) is fun and beautiful but if you want to "incapacitate" someone permanently in a second, look up Sayoc Kali; it's vicious. Sayoc is mostly knife combat but it translates well unto unarmed and the use of improvised weapons. Lots of trapping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2sYDe86qhU

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
Asita said:
Dude, I just looked it up and Krav Maga IS AWESOME. I was flinching the entire time I was watching the demonstration video on youtube.

Its so brutal though, it might be just a little to much. Most of the stuff seems like it would break a few bones, which is extreme for what I have in mind with my character. BUT he lives in a wide and expansive universe, so I will probably design someone just so I can have a character that DOES do Krav Maga.
That's me ninja'd. You want more examples, look at anything new and Batman. That's his style of choice now. It's also the most practical style for use against armed opponents.

...and it's not like your character has to practice just that one style. Batman doesn't. If I may recommend a combination, some holds and throws from Judo and defensive/redirection grappling from Jiu-Jitsu mix well with Krav Maga (which are ideas I get from US Army combatives training. I only made tier 2, though).

Oh, and if you want to get more ideas, I recommend the History Channel's old series "Human Weapon" (from back when they still attempted to cover actual historical stuff). Here's the first part of their Krav Maga episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uur5JovoNx4

Oh, also... look up Silat. Malaysian martial art. Might be more what you're lookin' for.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:

I just want to point out that his partner is NOT acting; those grips are super effective and hurt like mad. I've done about a year and a half worth of lessons, and aikido is by far one of the easiest (as in, once you understand the basics) and most applicable defensive martial arts there are. It does need a lot of dedication to master, though.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
DrunkenElfMage said:
Asita said:

Maybe Kombatan then?
Also quite efficient martial art
Not as efficient as Krav Maga, Sirsanat or Kuk Sool, but advantage is that person can learn to become fairly efficient at faster pace.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:

I'm a student of jujutsu (the art that aikido developed from). There are a lot of similarities between the two, but jujutsu is very much martial, being a combat art that is designed to kill or incapacitate very quickly.

One particular thing that distinguishes jujutsu from other arts is that it's very good for engaging multiple opponents (as is aikido), particularly because jujutsu is very oriented on very large throws (bodily throwing people through the air, sometimes over quite large distances or heights depending on what is necessary). What this means is that you learn to throw people at other people, which is kind of hilarious but also effective. It also contains a great many strangles (arterial, airway and nerves), joint locks, breaks etc., as well as an unusual striking method (it's not the typical snap hits you see of other arts like karate and taekwondo, but instead the strikes are done with a loose arm, usually described as hitting them with a dead fish). One of the issues with jujutsu (and really with any art) is that there's a great many people out there doing things that aren't quite jujutsu (I've seen a lot of very sloppy jujutsu out there).

Don't be deceived by how gentle it can look - the people receiving the techniques are very good at doing so, in practice a lot of these throws can be used to break backs and necks. It's also hard to see but the tallest guy there weighs ~120kg, I weigh about 70kg and I have thrown him with relative ease. It's a very technical art.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Hero in a half shell said:

hahaha reminds me of what our fencing teacher used to tell us. about trying to poke someone in the eye with our main gauche.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
DrunkenElfMage said:

If you liked what you saw with Israeli Krav maga, might i reccommend taking a gander (or goose) at Combat sambo? Former offical martial art of the Spetznas and GRU?

If you're into DOA and actually notice the men, think Bayman, or something aking to CQC from MGS3 and beyond.

Delivering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBjin8zNUWc

There are far better videos available if you have the patience to decipher/learn acryllic letters. Alas, i do not. ATM at least.

If you are DEAD set on an SE Martial art where functionality is the intended practice, i'd reccommend Shorinji Kempo, there are some dodgy clubs (as there are everywhere) enforcing the spiritual side as an order of the day, but quintessentially it is the japanese take on functional Wushu, the holds grabs and strangulations of judo and Jiujutsu, and the groin kicks, eye pokes and throat punches of shaolin.

Again, not the best video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepPYablvog

As for Muay thai mentioned below, it's practical use of Elbow and knee are hard to look past, effective and brutal, depending on what you want to draw. I'd push for one of the two above, if you want the character to know resuscitation and some basic "combat biology" (and with that i mean something akin to "ah, i've now punched you over the throat, and so as not to kill you, i should now do this) i'd go with Kenpo.

These are my reccomendations, do you desire something more flashy? Less so? Hard techniques (striking/fist) or soft? (grappling/twist)?

if you want source material, i'd reccommend anything by Keisuke itagaki.

Pm me if i may render assistance with this esoteric knowledge, t'is one of the few i still master.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
DrunkenElfMage said:
Never heard of this Steven Seagull guy, I only like action heroes with no acting talent and covered in fake tan. Is he like that?
He is in fact exactly like that.

Check out "Under Siege" and "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory", those are 2 of his best movies in my opinion. They're pretty campy and shlocky and fun, kind of in the vein of old Schwarzenegger.