Do you know different martial arts or fighting styles? I need some ideas (UPDATED)

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
spartan231490 said:
I did know that jujutsu has strikes, but as you said, they're more set up moves and so they stick out less. I was also trying to keep it simple and brief.
For sure. It is noteworthy for its lack of emphasis on them.

spartan231490 said:
Throws can certainly be effective, but I consider them inefficient against multiple opponents because they typically use both hands and your center of gravity. I imagine there are advanced throws in the throwing arts that address that problem, but I just feel that at an average level of proficiency, a throw leaves you vulnerable for longer, and takes longer than a strike. I feel like I was a bit unclear, I'm making an assertion about time and effort involved more than the effectiveness. I don't have enough practical experience with throws to be confident making an assertion about their effectiveness.

As for the effectiveness of lethal strikes, I don't really care if the guy dies, just so long as he's out of the fight. I don't know a more efficient way of doing that than a good hard kick to the lower leg/knee. It's fast and brutally effective. Also, there's really no shortage of quick incapacitation strikes, and I don't think they'd be any easier to defend against than a throwing technique, though as I mentioned earlier I have little experience with throws.
I think, as with most things, it's going to come down a lot to personal preference and proficiency. One thing I can say is that because jujutsu is both a very technically demanding art and so dangerous, you can't spar with it (which is a fault, I feel, but an unavoidable one for what it is). Thus it takes a very long time to be able to use it effectively.

That said, I've been doing jujutsu for a little over a year, and I can easily throw people who outmass me by ~50kg (though obviously they are not resisting, I can't do that well yet), with one hand (and later on there are throws that require no hands). They will all require your centre of mass though, albeit there are throws you can do without being stable. I can also throw somebody in maybe 3 seconds, with the potential to get that lower to maybe 2 seconds (I'm talking about the big throws), which you're right is much, much slower than a strike, but short enough that you can minimise vulnerability (usually by using the person you're throwing as a shield). Also personally I find grappling/throwing to be less demanding in terms of effort over striking arts. Fitness is not a prerequisite to being able to do jujutsu. Of course, I've also never done a striking art long enough to get any good at it.

EDIT: One of the other advantages of jujutsu is that it's not a common art and not similar to most of the common arts.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
For dwarven detective character
You may want to rewatch this video again

Asita said:
If you want quick incapacitation, just have the character fight dirty. Like this:
BTW Full Metal Panic is awesome!
Go watch it NOW.

Anyway, it seems that what she needs is some basic training in box or kickboxing
Hell, or go with my initial response- kombatan
1-2 year training is enough to be fairly effective in HtH
There is no need for her to be martial master.
Since majority of martial experts and masters tend to avoid unnecessary brawls

thingymuwatsit

May 29, 2010
If you're ever looking into a character which is less interested in brute strength and more the flow of energy, Wing Chun is a great martial art to look into. It's all about manipulating your opponent's attacks to your advantage- no flashy throws or butterfly kicks, just basic, efficient circular movements and footwork.

138MWS on Youtube has quite a few videos demonstrating some of the more advanced techniques(typically for street fights), but it's unlikely that you'd find a good quality proper demonstration out there.

Also, a lot of people on the internet show only the more... Brutal side of the style- it's more about a offensive defense than simply shoving your fingers into someone's brain, as one video I've seen tried to put it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Bartitsu? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu)

It's a self-defense style developed in the early 20th century, and is supposed to be used with very improvised weapons - kind of like Britain's equivalent of Martial Arts.

I suppose it's a convenient plot point (oh no, hero is being cornered by villian! Villian puts sword to hero's neck! Hero gets umbrella from stand and beats the shit out of villian!)

llew

Sep 9, 2009
why have i not seen Win Chun said yet? not only is it the martial art of utter bad-assery, Bruce Lee was trained in it by this guy :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZRjIiNzhM (P.s.: dont know how to embed videos... sorry) of and the fight actually happened, probably didnt go exactly like that, but it happened

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
Hero in a half shell said:
The ancient European martial art of Nutsackick-fu of course.

Yes, that's a genuine picture from a book about sword fencing written in 1467

Even if the guys packing a 5 foot metal sword, the nut shot never fails. A character whose fighting style revolves exclusively around kicking people in the nuts. There's a book I'd read.
The guy would have a mental break down if he ever ended up fighting a woman.

"I kick you in da nuts!"

"I don't have any nuts."

"... then I'll kick you in da... uh... gimme a second..."
A good hard kick to a woman's groin area, while not as effective as on a man, will still be effective.

Most grandmasters of marital arts, the ones that almost reach sainthood, almost all recognize the need to have no style, or be ready to adapt to anything, and that being locked into one style is folly and can be countered by an opponent if your style is too limited.

I would vote for the israli system it one of the most effect hand to hand combat systems in the world atm.

If you are looking for more non lethal akaido probably more your speed, but when facing multiple opponents it is vital to take them down as quickly and efficiently as possible. often that means breaking things, or outright killing your opponents.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
cerebus23 said:
If you are looking for more non lethal akaido probably more your speed, but when facing multiple opponents it is vital to take them down as quickly and efficiently as possible. often that means breaking things, or outright killing your opponents.
Krav Maga can be applied non-lethally, it most cases the civilian and law enforcement branches are just that.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
mitchell271 said:
I've got a 2[sup]nd[/sup] degree black belt in Karate, learned a lot of Tae-Kwon-Do from friends that I demoed with, dabbled in Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Krav Maga. If you're planning to actually learn, which would help character building, start with Karate or Tae-Kwon-Do. For simply writing a badass character, Muay Thai is the way to go. I mean, look at this!
Awesome movie. Go watch, anyone reading.

Regarding your post, I was under the impression that the martial arts in the movie were largely Penkac Silat. That said, I'm speaking from as a curious layman who wouldn't be able to tell one from the other - so don't take this as 'you're wrong' so much as 'could you clarify'? Was there any Penkac Silat in the movie, or was that bad information? Or did the character use both, interchangeably?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Although I don't know the ins and outs of it, I have always found my self interested in Capoeira. It's a martial art that focuses on using the legs (To give it a very bare bones description).

Here's the wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
dylanmc12 said:
It's a self-defense style developed in the early 20th century, and is supposed to be used with very improvised weapons - kind of like Britain's equivalent of Martial Arts.
The term 'martial art' comes from Britain and Europe. Most people don't realise that the West had a martial tradition equally as well developed as the East. Bartitsu is possibly not a good example of this because it wasn't very popular and was an amalgamation of several other arts, including la canne, Savate, and jujutsu.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
mitchell271 said:
I've got a 2[sup]nd[/sup] degree black belt in Karate, learned a lot of Tae-Kwon-Do from friends that I demoed with, dabbled in Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Krav Maga. If you're planning to actually learn, which would help character building, start with Karate or Tae-Kwon-Do. For simply writing a badass character, Muay Thai is the way to go. I mean, look at this!
Really need to see this movie. I kept on seeing it in the top 2012 movie lists but I just never got around to it.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Wyes said:
Jasper van Heycop said:
I've done some historical fencing mostly with longsword, though there are some pretty good defensive techniques for unarmed or knife combat. Particularly Fiori dei Liberi style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByTzySPSfw is very dangerous and really easy to learn

If you're going for a unique style mixing and matching several styles seems the way to go though
I don't know how I actually forgot about any of the HEMA stuff, I guess because I was thinking about hand-to-hand arts. Nice to see somebody referencing a Guy Windsor seminar though.

spartan231490 said:
Ju Jitsu is also very distinctive in that it practices almost no strikes. Designed to fight armored samurai, a strike was ineffective so the art focuses on joint locks and throws instead.
There are strikes in jujutsu, but they're not the focus of the art (because of the aforementioned armour). They're incidental to getting into positions to lock, or throw, mostly.
I did know that jujutsu has strikes, but as you said, they're more set up moves and so they stick out less. I was also trying to keep it simple and brief.
spartan231490 said:
Aikido would work well for getting a suspect into cuffs. The only caveat I might mention is that against multiple opponents, in my opinion, striking arts are more efficient.
This is interesting because it's almost the opposite of my opinion. My logic revolves around the fact that, at least in the grappling art I practice (jujutsu), it's all about killing somebody quickly to move on to the next guy, which throws are very good for (not only can you break a neck easily with a throw, regardless of them wearing armour, you can throw people at people). The problem with most strikes I find is that even somebody without training can spoil most lethal strikes you can throw at them, and that lethal strikes themselves are hard to come by (of course, I may be wrong about this on both points). So long as you don't go to the other extreme like Brazilian jujutsu, which is extremely good one on one, but going to the ground when there are multiple opponents around is a bad idea...
Throws can certainly be effective, but I consider them inefficient against multiple opponents because they typically use both hands and your center of gravity. I imagine there are advanced throws in the throwing arts that address that problem, but I just feel that at an average level of proficiency, a throw leaves you vulnerable for longer, and takes longer than a strike. I feel like I was a bit unclear, I'm making an assertion about time and effort involved more than the effectiveness. I don't have enough practical experience with throws to be confident making an assertion about their effectiveness.

As for the effectiveness of lethal strikes, I don't really care if the guy dies, just so long as he's out of the fight. I don't know a more efficient way of doing that than a good hard kick to the lower leg/knee. It's fast and brutally effective. Also, there's really no shortage of quick incapacitation strikes, and I don't think they'd be any easier to defend against than a throwing technique, though as I mentioned earlier I have little experience with throws.
The study of Aikido does include a large emphasis on the practice of fighting multiple opponents (it's called Randori). This can involve up to 5 attackers, some or all of whom may be armed. The idea is to redirect on coming attacks into other attackers so that you can control how many can attack you at once. I've been on both sides of this practice and there is nothing more humbling than when you and four others are trying to attack one guy, but cant lay a hand on him because of the wall of bodies hes throwing at you = ).
If you are interested in practicing different martial arts I definitely recommend giving aikido a shot.

volcanblade

Jan 11, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Aikido would work well for getting a suspect into cuffs. The only caveat I might mention is that against multiple opponents, in my opinion, striking arts are more efficient. Aikido is also a very good choice for the meditative side, like many more traditional martial arts, it is often practiced concurrently with a focus on spirituality and peace of mind. Sambo or Ju Jitsu would also work well. Ju Jitsu was used as a primary source for both Sambo and Aikido. I think the main difference you want to look at is "do" vs "jitsu" or "jutsu". A "do" like Aikido, is more strongly linked with philosophy and spirituality, while "jutsu" is linked to the arts of war.

In this context, Ju Jitsu is widely considered a little more "hard"(basically brutal, or more likely to injure the opponent in addition to stopping them) than aikido. It's also a bit more battle tested, having been used by samurai to disarm and kill another samurai if they lost their weapon. Aikido, on the other hand, has much more of a focus on using the opponent's strength against them, and is more closely associated with philosophical and spiritual aspects. It also employs techniques that are much less likely to cause lasting injury. Interestingly enough, some advanced aikido take downs don't actually cause any pain to the target, it's just that the leverage on the person is so great that they can't help but go to the ground.

I don't believe that Sambo is widely practiced outside of the Eastern Block, but if your character is from that area it might make more sense. Otherwise, I would probably recommend Aikido, since you mentioned him using it spiritually, as well as your MC likely being concerned with legal ramifications if he seriously injured someone, but ju jitsu would also work if you wanted his background to be a little more traditional.

One last note, just an interesting fact, not really relevant. There is a school of ju jitsu, the Gracie style, from Brazil, which has had a standing challenge since about 1920 to practitioners of other martial art schools to competition fights in order to show the effectiveness of the Gracie style(also known as Brazilian Ju Jitsu). The Gracie system has only been beaten a few times in all those decades, the first time being in 1951.
I should preface this with, 1: Have you ever trained in Aikido (Not asking in a rude way, I'm just curious as most schools have different ways of doing things), and 2: I am by no means trying to say you are wrong or that I disagree with the assessment, I just want to throw my own experiences out there, having trained in Aikido a few years (and currently still doing so)

Aikido is heavily philosophy based depending on the dojo and style, but it is not necessarily true that the take downs don't cause pain. While that is true on an experienced Uke, when done in real world application to someone who doesn't know what to do, the take downs can hurt a lot, or if the person resists in the wrong way, easily break joints.

At my dojo we like to say that there is dojo Aikido and Street Aikido. In the dojo, your partner knows what to do and how to land and it flows and looks incredibly smooth and simple. In Street Aikido, all the flow and prettiness becomes rough and violent. While ideally, they stay the same, in the majority of cases, Aikido outside of a dojo is closer to Hapkido, in that it has more breaks and strikes and less focus on protecting the partner.

OT: If you want to use something similar to Aikido, but with a bit more breaking and strikes, look into Hapkido.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Not exactly a martial arts expert here, but for well-choreographed, if slightly stylized, fight scenes, both in terms of gun battles and proper martial arts, I recommend taking some time to skim through Cowboy Bebop:

The main character, Spike Spiegel, uses a style based heavily on jeet kun do, and other fighting styles are showcased by some of the one-episode characters. Again, not an expert, so this might be too heavily stylized to be useful, but from what I hear the animators tried to keep things pretty well in line with how an actual fighter would move.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
II2 said:
Regarding your post, I was under the impression that the martial arts in the movie were largely Penkac Silat. That said, I'm speaking from as a curious layman who wouldn't be able to tell one from the other - so don't take this as 'you're wrong' so much as 'could you clarify'? Was there any Penkac Silat in the movie, or was that bad information? Or did the character use both, interchangeably?
Was told it was Muay Thai a while back and kind of just went with it. The training combo on the bag before they actually start the raid looks like Muay Thai though. Fixed the post with a video of Ong Bak. Thanks btw! :)

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
I can't really name it, but Batman has some pretty awesome moves in the Arkham Games
The game has a dedicated counter button, and almost every attack in the game has many counter animations(which all look pretty cool)
Edit:i don't think i linked the video properly, here is the link just in case
youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWNrXLGZYg

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
volcanblade said:
spartan231490 said:
Aikido would work well for getting a suspect into cuffs. The only caveat I might mention is that against multiple opponents, in my opinion, striking arts are more efficient. Aikido is also a very good choice for the meditative side, like many more traditional martial arts, it is often practiced concurrently with a focus on spirituality and peace of mind. Sambo or Ju Jitsu would also work well. Ju Jitsu was used as a primary source for both Sambo and Aikido. I think the main difference you want to look at is "do" vs "jitsu" or "jutsu". A "do" like Aikido, is more strongly linked with philosophy and spirituality, while "jutsu" is linked to the arts of war.

In this context, Ju Jitsu is widely considered a little more "hard"(basically brutal, or more likely to injure the opponent in addition to stopping them) than aikido. It's also a bit more battle tested, having been used by samurai to disarm and kill another samurai if they lost their weapon. Aikido, on the other hand, has much more of a focus on using the opponent's strength against them, and is more closely associated with philosophical and spiritual aspects. It also employs techniques that are much less likely to cause lasting injury. Interestingly enough, some advanced aikido take downs don't actually cause any pain to the target, it's just that the leverage on the person is so great that they can't help but go to the ground.

I don't believe that Sambo is widely practiced outside of the Eastern Block, but if your character is from that area it might make more sense. Otherwise, I would probably recommend Aikido, since you mentioned him using it spiritually, as well as your MC likely being concerned with legal ramifications if he seriously injured someone, but ju jitsu would also work if you wanted his background to be a little more traditional.

One last note, just an interesting fact, not really relevant. There is a school of ju jitsu, the Gracie style, from Brazil, which has had a standing challenge since about 1920 to practitioners of other martial art schools to competition fights in order to show the effectiveness of the Gracie style(also known as Brazilian Ju Jitsu). The Gracie system has only been beaten a few times in all those decades, the first time being in 1951.
I should preface this with, 1: Have you ever trained in Aikido (Not asking in a rude way, I'm just curious as most schools have different ways of doing things), and 2: I am by no means trying to say you are wrong or that I disagree with the assessment, I just want to throw my own experiences out there, having trained in Aikido a few years (and currently still doing so)

Aikido is heavily philosophy based depending on the dojo and style, but it is not necessarily true that the take downs don't cause pain. While that is true on an experienced Uke, when done in real world application to someone who doesn't know what to do, the take downs can hurt a lot, or if the person resists in the wrong way, easily break joints.

At my dojo we like to say that there is dojo Aikido and Street Aikido. In the dojo, your partner knows what to do and how to land and it flows and looks incredibly smooth and simple. In Street Aikido, all the flow and prettiness becomes rough and violent. While ideally, they stay the same, in the majority of cases, Aikido outside of a dojo is closer to Hapkido, in that it has more breaks and strikes and less focus on protecting the partner.

OT: If you want to use something similar to Aikido, but with a bit more breaking and strikes, look into Hapkido.
I have not. Also, I never meant to imply that no Aikido locks cause pain, only that some high level techniques are that way, but that's just something I'd read. As for practicing Aikido, I don't really have much interest. I prefer the striking arts.
Ampersand said:
spartan231490 said:
Wyes said:
Jasper van Heycop said:
I've done some historical fencing mostly with longsword, though there are some pretty good defensive techniques for unarmed or knife combat. Particularly Fiori dei Liberi style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByTzySPSfw is very dangerous and really easy to learn

If you're going for a unique style mixing and matching several styles seems the way to go though
I don't know how I actually forgot about any of the HEMA stuff, I guess because I was thinking about hand-to-hand arts. Nice to see somebody referencing a Guy Windsor seminar though.

spartan231490 said:
Ju Jitsu is also very distinctive in that it practices almost no strikes. Designed to fight armored samurai, a strike was ineffective so the art focuses on joint locks and throws instead.
There are strikes in jujutsu, but they're not the focus of the art (because of the aforementioned armour). They're incidental to getting into positions to lock, or throw, mostly.
spartan231490 said:
Aikido would work well for getting a suspect into cuffs. The only caveat I might mention is that against multiple opponents, in my opinion, striking arts are more efficient.
This is interesting because it's almost the opposite of my opinion. My logic revolves around the fact that, at least in the grappling art I practice (jujutsu), it's all about killing somebody quickly to move on to the next guy, which throws are very good for (not only can you break a neck easily with a throw, regardless of them wearing armour, you can throw people at people). The problem with most strikes I find is that even somebody without training can spoil most lethal strikes you can throw at them, and that lethal strikes themselves are hard to come by (of course, I may be wrong about this on both points). So long as you don't go to the other extreme like Brazilian jujutsu, which is extremely good one on one, but going to the ground when there are multiple opponents around is a bad idea...

The study of Aikido does include a large emphasis on the practice of fighting multiple opponents (it's called Randori). This can involve up to 5 attackers, some or all of whom may be armed. The idea is to redirect on coming attacks into other attackers so that you can control how many can attack you at once. I've been on both sides of this practice and there is nothing more humbling than when you and four others are trying to attack one guy, but cant lay a hand on him because of the wall of bodies hes throwing at you = ).
If you are interested in practicing different martial arts I definitely recommend giving aikido a shot.
Having just looked up several randori demos on youtube, if anything, it strengthened my opinion. I have no doubt that an experienced aikido master could handle many many opponents, but I still think the striking arts are better suited to it.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
mitchell271 said:
II2 said:
Was told it was Muay Thai a while back and kind of just went with it. The training combo on the bag before they actually start the raid looks like Muay Thai though. Fixed the post with a video of Ong Bak. Thanks btw! :)
Cheers! Thanks for the reply! :)

Hankthejollyspoon

Oct 17, 2011
Writing this from my Facebook account.

Assuming there is still interest in the thread, I'll weigh in and see if I can help.
I have done a few MAs, but I'd like to consider myself fairly well read about them :I so here goes.

I'll split some common ones into a bunch of categories.

*grappling based*

JUDO. Judo has a heavy focus on clinch grappling and throws, with ground grappling ranging from excellent to poor. Judo throws can be split into leg throws eg osotogari, hip throws eg ogoshi, shoulder throws eg moroteseoinage, hand throws eg morotegari and sacrifice throws eg tawaragaeshi, their ground game is heavy on pinning, and submissions from the top, though many have good triangles and guillotines. Judoka are clinch grapplers par excellence, only Sambo fighters and GR Wrestlers coming close. Dirty boxing and ground-n-pound come naturally to a good Judoka, and they are often strong and durable like wrestlers with with incredible grip strength, basically Judo is submission wrestling, quite similar to CACC.

BJJ. Brazilian Jujitsu is closely related to Judo, but sacrifices the clinch for the ground, BJJ fighters are better than anyone when it comes to fighting off their backs, with many unusual submissions, sweeps and guard positions from there, they tend to be more willing than Judoka to try new things, with many being good wrestlers, and in a street situation will still be able to takedown or throw most non grapplers, BJJ fighters often have great cardio, but less strength and endurance, and some have found themselves overpowered, and tend to adapt to strikes worse than any other grappler.

SAMBO. Sambo is a blend of Judo and Russian wrestling, they are very similar to Judoka except that have very little remaining influence from Jujutsu, but have a variety of wrestling attacks and a pragmatic approach to techniques, they ban chokes but allow leglocks. Combat Sambo adds Russian Boxing and kicks to basic Sambo. Some Sambo styles allow chokes. Military Sambo is Combat Sambo combined with military H2H.

WRESTLING. There are 2 main types of wrestling, folk/freestyle and Greco-Roman, neither allow submissions, and both tend to be very poor off their backs. Folk is heavily takedown based, doubles, singles and the odd high crotch or ankle pick, they have many powerful suplexes and slams though, and have good top control, and GnP is the most natural skill set to develop. GR wrestlers, otoh, cannot touch below the waist, but are amazing with hooks, from the back and from a collar tie, it's a more esoteric style, and less popular, with many odd rules, but good for clinch boxing. There are wrestlers who are good grapplers, such as those from CACC or are belted in BJJ.

*Striking based*

BOXING. Boxing is easy to underrate, while modern boxing is fully focused on ring fighting, more traditional attitudes are more applicable to actual fighting, but boxers, like wrestlers, realise the importance of strength and conditioning, and as such are almost always incredibly strong and fit. There are many styles and attitudes to boxing, the American, Cuban, Russian and British boxing. both modern and antique, vary quite a lot, British Bare-knuckle, with its high stances, Karate like hand position, and preference for straight punches and forearm blocks looks almost like a different art than Modern 1-2-3 combination boxing, frenzied infighters or the Eastern Bloc's predilection for casting hooks, power punching and punch-and-clutch.

KARATE. aka teh Krotty. Karate can mainly be split into three types, traditional, knockdown, and modern. Traditional varies from tough old Gojuryu, KUGB or JKA Shotokan to kids in pyjamas, there are 3 main 'lines' Nahate Tomarite and Shurite, Nahate is stuff like Goju, Shuri is Shoto and Shito, as well as stuff like Wado, which is pretty much half Karate and half Jujutsu, and Tomari influences both. all three come from different cities in Okinawa, and have influences from Indochinese kickboxing, Quan Fa aka 'kung fu' and martial arts from south east Asia. Naha stuff tends to be more mobile, with high stances and circular techniques, while Shuri stuff is more simple and direct, moving in and out like fencers, and favouring basic moves like front kicks and straight punches. Modern stances look very little their predecessors, Karate actually being quite similar to bareknuckle boxing 100 years ago or so. Karate was often taught along side Tegumi, which is Okinawan wrestling, and Kobudo, which focussed on weapons.

Knockdown Karate is mostly descended from Kyokushin, a blend of Gojuryu and Shotokanryu and is full contact, with no gloves, but knockdown competitions ban head punching, KK guys have incredible durability, possibly more even than Nak Muays do, and combine body punching and a massive array of kicks, having powerful low kicks, as well as using unusual ones like hook and axe kicks, plus I have never seen more versatile headkickers in my life, able to land them from body punching range. They often struggle tremendously with boxers, and people punching them in them head :3, but offshoots sometimes allow headshots with mma gloves, or light mitts, and plenty spar with head shots.

Point Karate sucks buttballs. Well, to be fair, some point karateka are amazing athletes, but on the whole they are awful, and it can actually make a useless person even worse at fighting :I

TAEKWONDO. ITF TKD is basically traditional Krotty, with a bunch of extra kicks in it. Tangsoodo or TSD, More properly Dangsudo, is even more like Karate, WTF TKD is that mental bouncy-bouncy kick slappery in the olympics, TKD can be practical, with them being very hard kickers, though Muay Thai and Knockdown Karate both have stronger round kicks, and Sanda combining TKDs side and back kicks with kickboxing and the ability to actually fight. Overall though they have a pretty bad reputation and not entirely undeservedly. They also tend to cry if you punch them, or if you ask them to fight when they don't get to wear body armour.

KICKBOXING. The most common KB is Muay Thai, which consists of basic punches, push kicks, round kicks, knees and elbows, and unrivaled clinch striking, they tend to fight by trading single kicks and knees at long range then kneeing the assjam out of each other in the clinch, a good MA for lanky people with long legs, their boxing tends to be poor, and they often struggle in punching range, when they are too close to kick but too far to grab, they also favour a grinding war of attrition, though this holds less outside of Thailand. There are other Indochinese styles similar to MT, like Bando and Lerdrit. Some allowing headbutts or have other minor differences.
Japanese Kickboxing is a blend of MT, Karate and Boxing, on average being better punchers, more varied kickers but worse in the clinch than MT fighters or 'Nak Muay' as it is said in Thai.
Dutch KB, like Japanese KB, is a mix of Kyokushin, MT and boxing, they are much better boxers, and prefer to fight at mid range, throwing punching combinations finished with low kicks, many see to be essentially boxers who can low kick.
Savate in it's modern form has western boxing added to a very odd style of footwork and kicking, they wear shoes, and favour quick, flicking kicks, not power round kicks, but hook and crescent kicks, they also love stamping the shin and knee, Savate is a tricksy style, with pretty solid hands.
American KB is basically traditional Karate, TKD and boxing, they're good boxers but middling kickers, often not allowing low kicks and using snapping side kicks and more bladed stances, good fighters but they can die to leg kicks. Often only semi-contact, blech.
Sanda, or Sanshou, is Chinese KB, descended from a variety of schools of Quanfa, it's a great style, often have good hands, throwing from the clinch is allowed, and prefer the side kick to the round or push kicks, quite similar to a blend of WTF TKD and Greco-Roman wrestling.

Hope that was informative, if anyone has any queries or wants to know more just let me know. I can go over these in more depth or give an outline of other stuff.