Do you lie? Tell the truth now!

ORLOFT

Apr 29, 2009
Half of the time I am truthful to a fault... usually pisses people off. Then again, it's probably not the truth, but the fact that I was presenting it in an offensive fashion. Sometimes it's fun to be an asshole, though I honestly don't know why.

The other half of the time I lie. I lie my ass off. Usually just when the truth is boring. So I'll mix in a few details to liven up the story. Make the conversation more interesting. Ya know... like Fox News :)

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
I lie or tell the truth based on one simple principle.

State what will hurt the most.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Zeithri said:
Greyfox105 said:
Just a few seconds ago.
"Are you alright?" "Yeah".
Many who asks just want to hear that "Yeah, I'm okay", those people just want everything to be fine and dandy.
But friends want to hear if someone is alright or not truthfully <3
Hurray! I'm a friend!!!

OT: There are a few topics that I will lie through my teeth to hide and protect but apart from them I always try and say what I mean (as I figure that, if I start throwing around hyperbole and showing fake empathy it will be harder to 'be there' for my friends or family because my concern won't be considered sincere (Kind of like the 'swearing in excess argument, where it loses all meaning)).

beniki

May 28, 2009
I'm a fundamentally honest person.

So naturally I lie all the time.

What? The truth is dishonest.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Everyone lies, myself included. Thing is, I try to avoid it as much as I reasonably can. It really pisses me off when my dad tells me to lie about this or that because he does it all the damn time.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I try to lie as little as possible, because having a reputation for being honest means that when you just need someone to trust you about something important, they most likely will.

However, I will impulsively reply "I'm fine" when asked "How are you?"

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
As rarely as possible. I'm of the opinion that lying ultimately only gets you more problems.

I really dislike outright lying. If I need to deceive someone, I will formulate the truth in a way that is beneficial to me. I very rarely fabricate false statements. If I absolutely have to say something untruthful, I will say it in a manner that will allow me to deny having lied; claiming it was a misunderstanding.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
ultrachicken said:
I try to lie as little as possible, because having a reputation for being honest means that when you just need someone to trust you about something important, they most likely will.

However, I will impulsively reply "I'm fine" when asked "How are you?"
Oh, come on. Courtesy lies like those don't count. :p

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Yepp, a lot. My life isn't very interesting so I have developed a tendency to take something I've heard and "make it mine".

..trying to stop, though.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
To quote Doctor Gregory House.

"Everyone lies."
But is that a lie, too?

As for the thread, if I told you I lie, would that be the truth? Or would it be a lie itself, which then I didn't tell the truth but I was lying and turns out that it is true that I lied?

This thread confuses me. :(