Do you like ARCADES?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Do you? Don't you just love the feel of light guns and steering wheels, the odd flight simulator, DDR machine, and so on? It's about the only place gamers can get together on a daily basis in public. Sadly, they are the preserve of places where youngsters get bored and have nothing else to do. But damn, the adrenaline gets intense. I'd much, much rather go to an arcade than a nightclub.

Would you go to arcades if there were any decent ones near you? What would make you want to go back?

I think standalone arcades would work better with a different revenue model. Perhaps £5 for entry, for an hour, allowing you to play any game as much as you want.

Prizes are good. Make every machine print out some tickets or add points to your card.

Or do you think that arcades are terminally dead, and forever niche?

Dec 14, 2009
I used to like ARCADES when I was kid, but as I got older, ARCADES didn't really get any better in the UK. ARCADES in the UK have the same games they had in them from ARCADES that were around 15 years ago.

ARCADES just aren't what ARCADES used to be.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Hell yeah! I love arcades; they're the best place to play fighting games. I also like other arcade genres, such as rhythm games and SHMUPs.

There is an arcade in my area that I ought to visit more often. Problem is, the games it houses aren't exactly my favourite games. Still, I like just hanging around there, even if I don't play anything. The arcade atmosphere is mesmerizing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like them, but a lot of them around here (if you can find them) are really out of date with half working machines.
In high school I was a DDR Freak and would drop at least $20 a week into DDR machines. If I do say so myself, I used to be pretty good.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I do have an arcade near me . And i do go every so often . I usually go there to play UMVC3. Well it's more of a videogame lounge than an arcade. Televisions , gaming consoles , couches, beer , food , and a couple of arcade cabinets . It's a pretty good place . Now if only they would host tournaments more often and have more activities they would be rolling in cash . This is in montreal btw.

HydroFire

Aug 27, 2013
I don't have an arcade near me but I have GAMERS HQ!!! Google it its awesome It is like a modern day arcade It has Xboxes n Gaming PCs

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
MammothBlade said:
I think standalone arcades would work better with a different revenue model. Perhaps £5 for entry, for an hour, allowing you to play any game as much as you want.
The problem is that brick and mortar businesses need to charge a lot. £5 may seem reasonable for an hour in a cyber cafe, maybe it should be a little cheaper, but with Onlive, £7 gets you access to 100+ games for an entire month. And even that is not enough to make Onlive popular. No brick and mortar gaming establishment can be even remotely cost effective compared to home gaming.

What they need is something we won't have at home. In the old days, arcade games were far better looking than anything on consumer hardware, and often did stuff that consumer hardware could not. These days that won't work, so they rely on gimmicky peripherals that we probably won't buy, like lightguns, dance mats, racing cockpits etc.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Haven't been to an arcade in a while outside of playing a few arcade games at a convention. Always did enjoy it. I hear there's a great arcade in the city I moved to this summer, but considering I had to quickly pack up and leave for college after the move I haven't been able to go to it yet.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Dave and Buster's, man.

It's like Chucie E. Cheese's and Applebee's put together. Lots of light gun titles, arcade games, racing sims, and ticket games; all powered by your child like glee and alcohol.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
yesbag said:
krazykidd said:
I do have an arcade near me . And i do go every so often . I usually go there to play UMVC3. Well it's more of a videogame lounge than an arcade. Televisions , gaming consoles , couches, beer , food , and a couple of arcade cabinets . It's a pretty good place . Now if only they would host tournaments more often and have more activities they would be rolling in cash . This is in montreal btw.
It's too bad we don't have those in Ottawa (at least that I'm aware of). Last arcade that I remember was downtown near the Rideau Centre. Used to spend some time there in high school.

Where in Montreal is it? I do find myself there at times (as it is only a couple hours away by car/ train). Last time I was there was last winter, for Distant Worlds, with my wife. Also - I'm a huge Habs fan (being a French Canadian, even if born in central Ontario, it is a near requirement).
http://foonzo.com/

It's called foonzo. It's in downtown montreal . It's an 18+ place since they serve alcohol . It's a pretty nice place to hang and meet people .

It's funny that you say there no place like this in ottawa . However i know there is a videogame tournament being hosted in ottawa next month.

https://ggs1.eventbrite.ca/?nomo=1

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, I went to arcades whenever I could, and still would if I had them around, still. I'd settle for arcade machines outsidde of an arcade.
Every time I walk by a UFO/Claw grabber machine, I feel a pull to at least see what's in it. A draw to slip in some coins and play.

I haven't been in an actual arcade for a long time. I saw the only one I know of near whre I live eventually just stop existing.

I'm not hard pressed enough to try and find a chuck-e-cheeses. Might go for a dave and busters, maybe.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I used to live in a different state that had a nice arcade in the mall. I used to go there all the time, especially when I got the DDR bug. I did most of my DDR gaming in that mall. But ever since I moved, finding an arcade is like a frigging quest. There's a Dave and Busters, but it's a ways away and expensive.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
I remember arcades being shady, dangerous places where you might get jumped for throwing too much in CvS2.

I remember them fondly, and miss them. I don't really consider Dave and Busters and stuff arcades, though.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I used to like ARCADES when I was kid, but as I got older, ARCADES didn't really get any better in the UK. ARCADES in the UK have the same games they had in them from ARCADES that were around 15 years ago.

Does Time Crisis really need to be updated, though?

S'a real shame that we seemed to miss out on arcades, though.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
It's safer at this point to say that I "loved" arcades. There are no more of them here. At least not without driving for miles and miles. (I live in Texas though, everything requires a lengthy drive)

I grew up as video arcades were first opening in the 70s. It was amazing. When I was a kid, Chuck E. Cheese didn't have any ball pits or indoor playgrounds. It was a big arcade with some animatronic themed dining rooms attached. And I loved it.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

In a way I'd say that's the best bit. There's a comic shop near where I live that has a little arcade in the back with some classic machines and a bunch of pinball tables. The only thing they were missing the last time I was in there was an Area 51 machine and it would've been perfect. They even had one that played some NES games. For 25 cents you could pick from Super Mario Brothers, Metroid, Tetris and one other that I don't remember. It's pretty great.

Sadly in the US the time of the arcade is long past due to home consoles that provide a better experience, the social stigma of being older than about 15 and being seen in an arcade and the cost of machines and maintenance.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I used to love them until I worked in one. After you hear the Mario Cart theme song a million times you never want to hear it again. Plus the aracades here in Australia are always really expensive and usually quite small. I enjoyed the arcades I've been to in the U.S and Canada though.