Do You Like Civilization V?

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
I've heard a lot of people bashing Civ V because it's "shallow and meant for the console crowd", some even saying that it's the worst in the series.

I find Civ V to be very enjoyable, I think it's even better than Civ IV. I don't know why people bash and hate it so much.

So, Escapist, do you like Civ V?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I like it, Civ 3 is still the best in my opinion. I won't say it's made for console people (that'd be giving them too much credit) but it certainly is made for an audience with less of an attention span than other Civs.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I do not like it because I have not played it.

I just got Civ IV complete during the Steam sales, and have been playing it. It's enjoyable.

Tree709

Aug 31, 2010
It's manged to add realistic military depth, something i haven't seen in the games i played (Civ III and IV). That alone makes it a massive step forward in my opinion.
Also the Culture victory seems less random than in Civ IV.

Apr 28, 2008
I like it. I like it lots.
I like the one unit-per tile(although I think it would have been better to let workers stack, to finish building faster), I like how you can be a small empire but still hold your own against larger ones, and I like the dynamic that thy city-states add.

I also love how I can download/install mods right through the game.

The diplomacy system is still shit though. And I hate how you have to sit through the damn intro movie every. fucking. time you start up the game. Yes you can edit the game files to stop it from playing, but it should have been skippable in the first damn place.

eelel

May 29, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
I do not like it because I have not played it.

I just got Civ IV complete during the Steam sales, and have been playing it. It's enjoyable.
How can you have an opinion either way with out playing it that makes no scence.

Dylan Voyda

Ausperger Thinker
Mar 17, 2010
I find that it is much easier to play. The new combat, the lack of the sliders, and the change of the civics so that they mean something late in the game improved the game for me.

My only problems is the tech tree isn't as deep, and Spock doesn't do the technology quotes. Although they are better quotes.

eylkkyle

Apr 1, 2010
Irridium said:
I like the one unit-per tile(although I think it would have been better to let workers stack, to finish building faster), I like how you can be a small empire but still hold your own against larger ones, and I like the dynamic that thy city-states add.

The diplomacy system is still shit though. And I hate how you have to sit through the damn intro movie every. fucking. time you start up the game. Yes you can edit the game files to stop it from playing, but it should have been skippable in the first damn place.
I've found that if I hit escape a few seconds into the intro movie, it lets me skip right through the rest. I do like being able to browse and install mods straight through the game, and I agree that diplomacy pretty much sucks. At one point I had a "Friendly" Civ denounce me, then the same Civ lost further influence because my "friend" denounced me!

This is the first entry in the Civilization series I've played, so I can't pass judgement upon it in terms of the other games, but I will say that I got it for Christmas and it has already eaten up 46 hours of my time. It's quickly climbed to my top 5 favorite games.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Yes, I like it. Could do with a bit more polish (as did III and IV before expansion packs) but it's nice to see a new direction in the game. III was crippled with too much legacy code and IV was mostly just a clean rebuild.

Also, fuck Egypt.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Irridium said:
it should have been skippable in the first damn place.
You mean like it already is? Most of the time, if I hit as the movie starts, I get to the menu before the old prick starts speaking.

Also, fuck Egypt again.

Fuck Gandhi, too.

Apr 28, 2008
eylkkyle said:
Irridium said:

I've found that if I hit escape a few seconds into the intro movie, it lets me skip right through the rest. I do like being able to browse and install mods straight through the game, and I agree that diplomacy pretty much sucks. At one point I had a "Friendly" Civ denounce me, then the same Civ lost further influence because my "friend" denounced me!

This is the first entry in the Civilization series I've played, so I can't pass judgement upon it in terms of the other games, but I will say that I got it for Christmas and it has already eaten up 46 hours of my time. It's quickly climbed to my top 5 favorite games.
I hit escape as well, but it usually takes quite a while to skip the movie. Long enough each time so it becomes annoying...

And yeah, Civ tends to eat time. Thats why I haven't played much lately. Not because I don't like the game, but because if I start, I don't know when I'll stop.

RhombusHatesYou said:
Irridium said:
it should have been skippable in the first damn place.
You mean like it already is? Most of the time, if I hit as the movie starts, I get to the menu before the old prick starts speaking.
Like I said, doesn't do much. Usually finally skips when its halfway through the cutscene. After I disabled it the main menu popped up much faster.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I really like the fifth Civ.

Then again I play the game on small and standard sized maps, and don't touch the bigger ones. I like it when the game ends after about 8-hours of gaming. I like how it's not guaranteed that I'll ever see a single Iron mine on my territory, if I don't start being a warmongering conquerer for Strategical Resources. I really like the new updates, which almost guarantee that once the game has progressed past the Renaissance Era there really is no more room to expand. Not even on distant continents that are unreachable without the right technology. Okay, so the Tech Tree isn't as massive as before, but I don't mind. It still has plenty of stuff in it that I need to prioritize. It's streamlined, like a lot of stuff in the game. Before the updates the game was kinda "okay", but now I think it's good.

I must be one of only a handful of people on the entire planet who actually thinks that the Diplomacy system is pretty good. It's fun to guess at who doesn't like who, and make Denouncements based on those guesses. When all your Friends suddenly pat you on the back for agreeing with your assessments the game feels like it's awarding me for playing well. And even if we disagree on some matters later on, it's not the end of the world, as long as we agree on more stuff. Sure, the Diplomacy mechanic doesn't tell me every little detail, but I think that's more interesting. I have to actually read the Diplomacy messages that come up on the screen to get the big picture. Not just glance at some menu to see what everyone thinks of the other Civs.

I don't really see the whole "dumbed down for consoles" angle.
Then again, I wouldn't buy it for a console, even if they somehow managed to make a port. Honestly, I don't know how that would even be possible considering the game is putting my high-end gaming rig through the ringer just to run smoothly on High Details. I suppose they could skimp on the graphics and only allow small, tiny and duel maps. Reconfigure the engine to handle stuff like that and it might actually run on a console.

Blanko2

Jul 8, 2010
civ v runs shit on my computer. espcially considering how it doesnt look magnificent or anything. but civ iv already had that issue, so its not a big deal.
also the starting cutscene is horribly annoying.
the rest is pretty fun, though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Irridium said:
And I hate how you have to sit through the damn intro movie every. fucking. time you start up the game. Yes you can edit the game files to stop it from playing, but it should have been skippable in the first damn place.
Umm, I get it to skip by mashing my space bar and enter key...

OT: The military "one per space" idea WAS BRILLIANT.
The diplomacy AI needs an overhaul.
The cultural victory makes sense.
The technologies are fine.
Production management could use a little oomph... maybe multiple projects? Maybe train units while building buildings?

I like it.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
eelel said:
How can you have an opinion either way with out playing it that makes no sense.
I never stated an opinion of Civilization V, just a logical conclusion.