Do you like the story of Assassins Creed? *spoilers*

thmz

Jul 12, 2010
First of all, I really liked the first Assassins Creed. The setting and gameplay was awesome and though I felt the Sci-Fi parts were unnecessary, I could accept them. Then came AC2 (this is where spoilers come in) , a game I also really liked...untill the last 20 minutes or so. I could Accept fighting fisticuffs with the pope, but then some messed up hologram of Minerva or something starts jabbing about how "in the future the world is in danger and I'm talking to Desmond for some reason and the Earth will explode''. Which first raised my eyebrow to a point where it could be conversating with clouds, then made me yell alot. Even though I got really enraged by it, I still played Brotherhood. That made even less sense. Why does he stab her? What's the point??? Are you gonna explain anything? NO? Who's that guy talking in the credits?
Now here's my point... I hear alot of people saying they actually liked it, which seems odd as well as messed up to me...
So I'd like to ask you, did you actually like the story of the Assassins Creed series?
that last sentence is pretty much a tl;dr...

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Of course you don't understand the entire story is meant to be confusing and misleading and will be explained in the final game so there's no way you can guess what is actually going on right now.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yes, I do. Although I didn't like Brotherhood existing, because the idea seemed like more of the same.

But the story I like. When the first game came out, too many reviewers considered desmond a pointless character, but without that interesitng explanation, it's just a story about an assassin, which would be cool, but I like the touches of different time periods and conspiracies.

Dec 14, 2009
I like it.

The modern elements act as a glue for playing the different characters in the animus, and the fact that spending too much time in it is really starting to mess with Desmond's mind.

Now if we had an AC game set in Victorian England, playing a British female Assassin voiced by Jennifer Hale.

A man can dream.

Cyd0n1a

Jul 15, 2009
My friend does but I stopped caring about it around the last few bits of ACII. Aliens and all, didn't really appeal to me.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Its a great idea but I don't think the story works as well as they want it to.

Personally, I got so fucking SICK of Desmond after all the damn unskippable cutscenes in the first game I'd rather not deal with him anymore.

And having to PLAY as Desmond at later points isn't helping things in my eyes.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It's quite good, and running quite well with that whole 'ancient aliens' premise that seems to be more and more prevalent in media these days. Very enthralling, as well, and sets up a strong desire, in me at least, to see what else is going to be happening.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
It's an interesting premise ruined by needless conspiracy and intrigue. The stories of the historical characters are fairly well done, but the whole grand scale templar vs. assassins conspiracy nonsense does three horrific things: It largely throws all of the moral ambiguity out the window, it goes out of it's way to pull too much of history into it resulting in a shattering of any believable historicity that the team seems so focused on maintaining, and puts too much emphasis on a framing device that was supposed to make it more immersive in the first place.

Jul 9, 2008
I really like it. I mean, the thing with Minerva was really, really odd at first, but I felt that Brotherhood ended up explaining just enough to make me patient.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Yep, love the story, half the fun of the games for me. Like how much effort the writers put into weaving in historical events into the games, altering them ever so slightly to fit the game's fiction.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
No.
The overall story is poorly written and terribly executed.
I had no idea why Ezio was doing what he was doing in AC:Brotherhood.

However, the gamplay is fun, the graphics are astethically pleasing and it has a good soundtrack. It's still a great game.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I love it, even the futuristic stuff. I just hate the cock-tease cliffhangers at the end of each game. I hope that when they say we get answers in Revelations, they mean it.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
The Assassins Creed story is one that seriously cannot be judged yet. I'd compare it to Lost, in that it tends to raise a lot of questions without answering any, and on the rare occasion it does answer one of the many questions, the truth just brings up more unknowns.

Thing is, that's perfectly fine. Where Lost went wrong is they did their convoluted, confusing storyline with no idea as to where they were going with it. If the writers behind Assassin's Creed have everything planned out and know what it means, than this is great, because they will be able to eventually provide a satisfying and complete conclusion to the series.

You seem to mostly take issue with the fact that you don't understand everything yet, and to that I say, just hold up. Be patient. That's the fun of these types of stories; everything you find out just makes everything more confusing, and you can theorize and guess as much as you want, but you won't fully understand everything until the story decides to explain it to you, likely in a heart-pounding, jaw-gaping scene. Why did he stab her? What's the point? You don't know. No one knows, because they didn't explain it immediately, and that's fine. You're supposed to be confused, and questions will be answered in time. So to be frank, stop complaining and wait until they answer all the questions; if the answers suck, then you can hate on the story, but until then, none of us have anywhere near sufficient information to judge.

SirDenim

May 16, 2011
I will say more of the same and confess the alien people responsible for the advancement of humanity was a WTF moment.

Everything else is A.O.K. in my book because the stuff they didn't entirely pull out of their asses fits together in a nice tetris-like formation.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
thmz said:
Why does he stab her
The aliens/gods or whatever they are made him do it, i cant exactly remember why but i think basically its because they wanted her out of the way because she was a distraction or something
Which is pretty stupid because i thought the whole point of Desmond and all of his ancestors, is that they cant be controlled by the aliens/gods or whatever.. oh well im gonna have to replay them all before the new one is out.

Also i really liked the story of the first one, even the Sci Fi parts. I guess the sequals just goes to show, the more you know, the less interesting it is.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I rather liked the end of the second. Messed with me quite a bit. I also liked Desmond as the framing device for the first one. It wove the unreal elements of the game like the map, health and what not in to the game world organically, and I thought that was well done.