Do you like Warhammer 40,000?

Badong

May 26, 2010
Pandalisk said:
I love the fluff and i love the books, i've been reading gaunts ghosts latley, The Saint Omnibus is Epic.
You should see the Lost. It's a thousand pages of pure win.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
i love the universe, but the game hasnt really evolved like i would like it to. They promised to make the epic characters and commandos weaker, and they somehow did, but then again, bam , its not about basic units with elite support, its big vehicles and heroes killing masses of basic units.
Good the vehicle rules are better than in the early versions. And much depends on the players, if they want to collect an army , or just the maximum of terminators and superheavy tanks.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I like the lore, I used to be a rather large collector and played a few games...but the elitism and the price got to me and I had to stop.

Nowadays I just read the books, no literally value whatsoever, but great none-the-less

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
I've been on and off with the game for awhile. I really don't have the patients (or the pocket) to model and paint an army. I even collect ultramarines, whos painting includes: Undercoat, dip in blue paint, touch up.

However, most of the time I enjoy playing the game, unfortunately finding people to play with (that aren't total fuckhats) is pretty hard. I pretty much refuse to play with people at GW due to one to many bad experiences.

Also - I really, really can't get into the fluff.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Never been a fan of the game, but I just love the insanity of the setting.

Kneel

Jan 5, 2010
Love the game - my wife and I used to play tabletop quite a bit five or six years ago - but we simply didn't have the money or time to continue. I particularly loved the Tyranids, while my wife had a respectable Dark Eldar army.

I'm sure all the models are rotting away in a box somewhere.

peter-lavalle

Jul 16, 2008
AhumbleKnight said:
I thought that the emperor died...

Yes, I do like it. It is a cool universe that I can in no way, ever, afford. PC RTS gaming will have to suffice.
eBay dude - it's where I shop

Plenty of broken / poorly painted pieces to play with until you commit to scraping together "new" ones (which usually just means white-boxed or primed by someone who got bored)

heavy-metal-ink

Dec 10, 2009
i like the moelling/painting aspect, and some of the fluff, but never got into the competitive gaming side if it (i used to paint my friends, and hed take them to competitions etc.)
The races are all pretty inventive and a decent source of inspiration too.

BlackKraken

Apr 4, 2009
Money, people at local GW being complete elitist tit-wanks and my lack of attention span "OOH SHINY... what was I talking about? Oh yeah, right.." means that I have recently given it up.

Still might play a friend sometimes, but definitely not more collecting or painting or going into GW to talk to a over-enthusiastic cock-muncher who has never been touched by a woman.

Lore is great, and with some cool looking video games on the horizon (hope they're good) im pretty much set for now.

Shemming

Jun 12, 2010
Well game wise i liked it, but price rises pushed me away.
I still buy/read the novels.
And backround rise %100 love it, espaecialy using 'for the emperor' is now my all purpose war cry.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
yeh i love it, i dabbled in the board game but never really had time to get into it properly but i ve love the dawn of war game.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
ciortas1 said:
No, too over the top for my likings.

Dawn of War is really awesome, but the universe itself isn't interesting to me in the least.
Basically this. Everything about it is so deliberately "OMG EPIC" it loses its flair.

When every single thing in the universe is on a massively epic scale, massively epic things have no actual appeal. It's way too over the top.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
Yes, I never played the table top, but I still play the original dawn of war 40,000k series of games, I have no 2 but I don't like it as much. Not as epic feeling.

I had chaos down to an art form in winter assault.

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Sebenko said:
AhumbleKnight said:
I thought that the emperor died...
Not quite. He's been on life support for then thousand years.

Yeah, it's pretty entertaining. And Kharne is a pretty great guy.
http://www.ragnarokz.net/2007/05/15/kharn-the-betrayer-seriously-what-a-guy/
heheheh, kharn has such a great personality.
(he always calls shot gun when the land raider gets deployed in my army)

Mymla

Jan 5, 2008
rosac said:
Mymla said:
GloatingSwine said:
I like the fluff, kinda. Not enough to read any of the books or anything, but it's a fun universe.

Don't really like the game. Other tabletop miniatures games have more tactical choice involved in army choice and on the tabletop. 40k is all just a bit obvious and dull.
Pretty much this, although I did read a bunch of the books. Problem with 40k, though, is that "In the grimdark grimdark of the grimdark grimdark, there is only grimdark" gets really old after a while.
read the ciaphas cain novels- they actually have a good amount of humour in, unlike most (i.e all) the other 40k non ork fluff.
I have, at least the first 3 or 4. The first one is really, good, but they get very samey very fast.

The best 40k book series in my opinion, though, is probably the Eisenhorn trilogy. It has right around the correct amount of Grimdark? to be enjoyable, has quite decent characters, and is quite, well, epic.

My main problem with 40k books, however, is that as far as I'm aware, they're all about the humans, with maybe a few borderline exceptions. A book about the Orks, Eldar or Tau, preferably with no humans to be seen anywhere would be excellent.