Do you like Yaoi? (Not a pedo thread)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Oho no. I can barely stomach anime at the best of times, but this just seems more brain-rendingly awful by several magnitudes than anything else I've had the misfortune to watch.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
No, for I am a man! A manly man who shits rocks and kills gorillas with his BARE DAMN HANDS! Seriously though, it's just not my thing, seeing as I'm heterosexual.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
As a gay man, I find its insistence on applying rigid heteronormative gender roles onto homosexuals mildly offensive.

Kuhkren

Apr 22, 2009
I'll just leave this here, enjoy the insanity.

OT: I'm a heterosexual man and I usually enjoy it as long as its natural and not blatantly forced.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well being a straight dude, you can probably guess whether or not I "appreciate" it like it's meant to be. My overall view is "Eh, if it's your thing". Some people like it and I'm not going to slander them because of it. I won't say I'm a big fan of Yuri, but that's probably due to my lack of consuming anime/manga. I'm sure there are people out there who get an unhealthy fixations with certain aspects about it, especially on the fanfiction side (just like everything else), but I'm not going to judge a whole subject just because of of it's fans are a bit eccentric. That would be incrediably hypocritical of me.

Whatever floats your boat.

Note: Why did you have to point out that Yaoi isn't pedo? I could see if you were discussing lolicon, but anyone who knows what yaoi is (or even just read the first post) would know it has nothing to do with it. Sure, you're not incorrect; but it's the title equivalent of saying 8x + 9 + 0. It's somewhat unnecessary.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Aethren said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
As a straight man, I do not.

Straight men are not allowed Yaoi no matter how much Marik Ishtar disagrees.
I'm a straight man and I love that video.
That's because that video is freaking awesome.

I'm don't mind it if it's done well, but I got bored of looking for good ones ages ago, and also I've run out of bleach to clean my brain with and I don't want to risk it. Sometimes fanfic writers can be strange. very strange.

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
I don't go out of my way to look for Yaoi but what girl doesn't like a little guy-on-guy action?
Hell.. even I even like girl-on-girl.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
MagicMouse said:
As a typical male:

Girl with Boy = Good

Girl with Girl= AWESOME

Boy with Boy = OMG NOOOOOOO!
Yup, that pretty much says it...

But seriously, I avoid yaoi, as a straight guy would (on principle)... I only like yaoi when it's inserted into a plot for the sake of parody.

agrajagthetesty

Jan 29, 2010
Dags90 said:
As a gay man, I find its insistence on applying rigid heteronormative gender roles onto homosexuals mildly offensive.
Plenty of people who are fans of yaoi would agree with you. Those who don't agree are probably just not thinking about it or analysing it properly, which is not commendable but also not that surprising given that there's a massive amount of young teenagers within the yaoi community. The point is though, the genre itself doesn't *insist* on forcing those roles; the only necessary characteristic which makes something yaoi is the involvement of a male/male pairing. That aspect you've mentioned is definitely prominent, and almost every anime/manga based officially around yaoi does it - but (ironically, perhaps) for series in which the yaoi element is fandom-based it can be done much better. (Emphasis on "can"; some of fandom is just as bad.)

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I'm more into Yuri than Yaoi. I have however read some Yaoi Doujins that I did enjoy. But as I said, I'm more into Yuri.

MarlaminLTarmiko

Oct 19, 2010
I'm slightly strange, or at last assume I am, as I prefer homosexual sex ( for both genders) than I do heterosexual sex. As such I really quite enjoy both yuri and yaoi.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Ugh, you mean terrible fanfiction that doesn't take into consideration the original character's personality and sexuality at all and is pretty much only made for said writers of fanfiction to get off on?

Nope, only rabid fangirls like yaoi.
This.

It's retarded in every possible way that it could be.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
As a typical(?) male:

Girl with Boy = Boring

Girl with Girl = Beautiful [small](and kind of hot)[/small]. Makes me feel like humanity is ultimately a good thing.

Boy with Boy = Sure, why not.

Boy with Boy who looks like a girl = Sure, why not +1

Intersexed Girl with Boy/Girl = NOW WE'RE TALKING.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ugh, you mean terrible fanfiction that doesn't take into consideration the original character's personality and sexuality at all and is pretty much only made for said writers of fanfiction to get off on?

Nope, only rabid fangirls like yaoi.
What if the official work includes it?

I'm not gay, so not my thing. If people enjoy though fine, I certainly won't stop them.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Yeah , I do. Im reading Junjou Romantica (best yaoi ever) and have been reading Naruto yaoi fanfiction for a few days. Sasuke and Suigetsu make such a nice couple.

Cant believe I hated it just a year ago.