Do you like your native language?

ShadowyMOON

Mar 5, 2011
Seems like I'm the third Bulgarian in this thread, whoop!

Bulgarian always sounded kind of dull and seemingly stuck between Russian and German in pronunciation. The grammar has always been a pain for me too. Can't say I like anything about it except the variety of "compact words" that save you a full sentence.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
VMK said:
Ukrainian? Yes please! Sounds nice, easely spoken and has almost no swearings.
No swears? What do you do when you REALLY need to put emphasis on something?

OP:
Glademaster said:
Well my country is technically bilingual and yes I do like Irish and English. I just wish the former was thought much better and to a higher standard in primary schools.
What this guy said. I always wanted to be better at speaking Irish but I picked up Spanish quicker and easier in half the time. I can speak basic Irish but nothing impressive, unless it's in the past tense.

I even did better in Latin for that one year I studied it.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I'm German myself and I study in the Netherlands.
I kinda like my native tongue, as it helped me learn other languages, and to be honest as German it wasn't too difficult to learn Dutch.
I have my problems with the pronounciation of some Dutch words but the grammar stuff was pretty easy.

Though I'm kinda in love with Asian languages and how they sound (at the moment I'm learning Japanese and tried some Chinese).

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
EvilMaggot said:
Fuck yeah! :D "Danish" is (i heard somewhere) one of the most difficult languages to learn :p

but yeah.. "Danish" dates back to the Vikings together with swedish, Norwegian and Finnish. so pretty fucking proud!
Funny, my girlfriend is Danish and she hates her language because she says it's crude, boxy and boring.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Sure, I think Swedish is great. Not sure how one can dislike their native language to be honest.

Also, we got the word "lagom". Take that, rest of the world!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ever tried to order a meal via charades?

You rarely get what you want.
You're not using your hips enough.

OT: Yeah, it's good. If only because swearing is a fucking delight.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I love Speaking Finland, but fuck me is it the most difficult language to study... no really, i'm not kidding, it is actually one of the most difficult "modern" languages to study.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
VMK said:
Ukrainian? Yes please! Sounds nice, easely spoken and has almost no swearings.
No swears? What do you do when you REALLY need to put emphasis on something?
I didn't say that we don't have swears, but we also, if needed, use Russian ones.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
French is my first language, and yes i like it very much. and i prefer my french canadian that is at least trying to get a word for everything, even new thing that didnt exist before, rather than just take an english word, like the french in france...

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
The thing I hate about the English language is also the thing I love about it. It's extreme LACK of formula makes it a ***** and a half to learn, let alone master, but that also makes it easy to modify. New words can be made up on the fly, dialects form within years, not centuries, and for some reason accents seem far more pronounced. Or at least I've never heard anyone speak say... French with a German accent (seems like it would jarring).

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
I'm from Ireland and we're in a weird position where our native language isn't used by anyone really. Anyone who says Ireland is bi lingual is lying. everyone speaks english and I'd say less than one in a hundred can speak Irish at a conversational level and less than one in four hundred are fluent.
So English is awesome fantastic for aesthetic and functional uses and the grammar is pretty straight forward compared to other languages.
Irish is a mess, a dead language with bizarre grammar and any half modern word is just stolen from English and mangled, telefón-telephone,carr-car,afraic-Africa.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Well English is the only language I speak, so yeah, I like it.

It certainly makes getting things a lot easier.

Ever tried to order a meal via charades?

You rarely get what you want.

Seriously though, English is a a very malleable language.

You can mix and match a lot of things that just aren't possible with other languages.
Yeah, you can fuck about with English so much more than with other languages. It's like play-doh or something, to everyone else's lego.

Saying that, I like speaking French, although its grammar can be really frustrating sometimes.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
for some reason accents seem far more pronounced. Or at least I've never heard anyone speak say... French with a German accent (seems like it would jarring).
That's probably because English is your native language. I've heard Italians speak French and the accent is unmistakable. And French Canadian accents are just fucking weird, but kinda endearing too.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
GonvilleBromhead said:
I love English - you can have so much fun with it. From the appeal of alliteration, to the ability to completely make up a word yet still have a entirely contranifious sentence, from it's standard prefixes and suffixes that mean that new words are easily concoctable, to it's colourful/colorful international variations
This, this in its entirety. I love my language.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I kinda like the English language, mostly for the shape of the words and the ease with which it can be spoken. By that I don't mean it's easy to learn, just easy to say, which is handy when you have a speech impediment and a physical defect which tends to interfere with your speech. And as others have said, you can have a lot of fun with it.