Do you live on your own?

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
I've recently started living on my own (after living together for a couple of years and moving out of my mother's house before that) and it's quite annoying...I can't keep it clean or organised, thanks to that my administration has gotten quite f'd up and the person I share a kitchen with keeps on "borrowing" stuff. >.<

So, my questions; Do you live on your own? Any handy tips perhaps? Or if you want to just rant a bit about it, be my guest. :p

P.S. Living alone and on your own, when in a relationship everything went okay for me. (And no, that wasn't because she was doing everything, I was better at doing stuff back then. Probably more motivated as well.)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Judging by a previous thread I made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.324755-Poll-Who-here-that-has-graduated-high-school-or-equivalent-still-lives-with-their-parents#13291745], I would say around 70% of the people here don't. For me... No, I don't. Living with my parents until I finish college and get a job that can support myself. Which will be in two years at lest, depending on the state of the economy when I graduate.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I flit from placement to placement and then back to either of my parents. So usually no.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Nope. Can't afford to move out.

Low income from a seasonal job and mounting debt. Not many prospects at the moment.

Badong

May 26, 2010
No, I do not live alone. Even when I graduate from High School, I doubt that I will move out, since the University I plan to go to is a twenty minute drive away. If I get accepted by MIT, however unlikely that may be, then I'd probably have to move, since flying halfway around the world on a daily basis would just be inconvenient.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
No, but I'm trying to get my friend to room with me and sell more artwork to cover my rent half.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Going to school. Currently sharing an apartment with three other dudes. Im generally the one who winds up cleaning for some reason >.> Chores are a loteasier when you play music while you're doing them.

Jan 27, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Judging by a previous thread I made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.324755-Poll-Who-here-that-has-graduated-high-school-or-equivalent-still-lives-with-their-parents#13291745], I would say around 70% of the people here don't. For me... No, I don't. Living with my parents until I finish college and get a job that can support myself. Which will be in two years at lest, depending on the state of the economy when I graduate.
Pretty much in this ship too. I'm at university, though. NO idea how long it's gonna be until I'm out. got at least 2 years (or more, depending) before I have my computer science degree, and I have no idea where that will take me. And it might be even longer if I can't get my shit together and pass this semester. >_<

I'm not moving out until I can support myself financially. There's no point in moving out if I have to move back in with my parents again later.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I do. I have my own apartment and it sure as hell beats having roommates. I had some fun experiences with them living with friends and some hellish experiences living with random people.
All in all, it rules.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
You do realize sharing an apartment isnt really living alone, but who wants to anyway.
Well......me actually.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Yup. Got a "career" job over the summer and am living on my own in Seattle for what looks like is going to be the rest of my life. I like it. The job is amazing in both pay and what I'm doing, and the area I'm in is nice in both climate and location.
It's a weird feeling knowing that you're never gonna be living with your parents again.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, if you discount my two cats =) Haven't lived with my parents since I was 15 and never can again because my father died a few years back. Did have a short stint living with my uncle though a few years ago when I was homeless for a time.

I've been really, REALLY lucky; despite being unable to keep a job for long because of my depression and thus being forced to take welfare, I have a nice big flat - 2 rooms, a kitchen, a bathroom in the non-American sense of the word... 62 square metres in all - and a great computer, the parts for which I got for practically nothing from my brother.

True, I live in a "troubled" part of town, but it's really not that bad. It's only 15 minutes away by bike from where I work too, which is nice.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I've got my own apartment here in Sweden. The rent is low for a place that's so close to a cheap supermarket, the neighbors behave, and there's a bus that goes straight to my jo that I can reach with just three minutes of walking. I've got a dishwasher, a washing machine, a good computer. There's a thai restaurant right beneath my apartment. The only donside is that it costs too much to go here if you live in Gothenburg, so my friends rarely come by.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I live on my own although I wouldn't mind a roommate sometimes (if they actually were clean and helped out around the place). It's alot more work to maintain everything but it is nice being able to walk around in my pj's all day ;)

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Nope, I live with my mum, brother and sister... considering I'm still only 18 it's not that bad, but I would like to have my own place before I'm 21.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Never actually lived alone. (lived with roommates in college, then moved back in with my parents after graduating). I'm really looking forward to it though. I try to do my own grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning, and other errands as much as possible. Having to cook for myself is very much worth being able to eat what I want, especially since I prefer to watch what I eat, rather than being obligated to eat some junk food because "If you don't eat it, it'll go to waste."

Living with 4+ roommates can be a pain in the ass, too. Having to store food in a mini fridge in your room, and then bring said food to and from the kitchen whenever you want to eat can be annoyingly time consuming.

For now, I'm living with my parents, biding my time until I can get the job I went to college for and no longer rely on my parents for financial support.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Regnes said:
I'm also being smart by going into medicine, one of those general areas where there's always going to be good paying jobs.
That's not as sure fire a thing as it used to be. True, there will always be idiots, illness and injuries (I call a patent on a tabletop game based on the Jackass franchise under that name), but a tremendous number of people are going into the medical field, be it as a nurse, aide, lab tech or doctor. Out of my entire high school graduating class (which was, admittedly, small for today) an overwhelming number of us went into the medical field (I'd say a solid 90-95% planned on a career in medicine).

The best counter to that, I think, is to make sure that you're absolutely as good as you can possibly be at what you're doing so you can stand out and, in the words of Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never give up." Best of luck!

OT: I've lived on my own, to varying degrees, for about 5 years now. I moved into a dorm the first semester I was in college, so I had a roommate. After the semester I got an apartment about a mile off campus, where I lived alone (though my then-girlfriend was over most of our free time). After that I got another apartment with one of my closest friends and we lived there for about a year. During that time my girlfriend (the one I'm with now, not the same one mentioned above) got pregnant, so we decided to move back to our hometown to be closer to the families. That changed drastically when I got accepted into a top-flight school in New York while my girlfriend was studying back home (Louisiana). I moved to NYC last fall for school, which is where I am now. I currently live with 2 other guys up here, though we don't see much of each other at home. We'll usually hang out and watch American football on Sundays, but that's about it.

If things go as planned (saying that sends a shiver down my spine, because things never go as planned) then my girlfriend and our daughter will be moving up here midway through next year, after her practitioners license expires. She'll get her MT license for NY, I'll land a fabulous role in a popular Broadway show*, and all will be right with the world....

*In my dream world, I also have a pony. He vomits rainbows.