Do you love Barney too? (Calhoun that is)

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I once asked my friend what Half-life was all about, and instead of telling me, he decided to show me. So we went through Half-life together, and it not only intensified my love of grenades, but also developed a fondness within me for crowbars... and Barney.

Barney was the generic security guard that found his way into our hearts through his encouragement and limitless bullets. And then came Half-life 2. He wasn't a bunch of men anymore, he was one legendary man. He made jokes, he gave us crowbars, he shot stuff. His stubbled face graced us with the feelings of security and optimism the savior of a distopian future needed so desperately.

Near the end of Half-life 2's climax, I left the room for a moment. When I returned, I asked what I had missed.
"Barney was impaled by a Strider," my friend said.
"You're lying," I exclaimed.
"Right through the chest," he replied.
"Go back and show me," I said desperately. "You're lying!"
"Can't go back, I just quicksaved."
Luckily, before I could drop to me knees and declare "BARNEY!" dramatically, the man in question told Gordon to 'get back', saving the silent doctor's life as well as my remaining dignity.
"I knew you were lying."

Through this experience I saw that I had formed a bond with this NPC through only two games (haven't gotten around to Blue Shift yet) that was not easily broken. And, one day, as I watched Yahtzee review The Orange Box I saw that I was not alone. There was a poster declaring love for Barney. So, my question is, how many others admire this vest-wearing gunman? How many others repaid his 'Level 3 Clearance'-wielding, handgun-toting, headhumper-hating assistance with adoration and respect?

Who loves Barney?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I respect the man 'cause he's cool and saved three stupid scientists in Blue Shift as well as helping out Gordon; but comeon. You two should get a room.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I like being melodramatic in my writing. A casual tone, although honest, is dull.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
Blue Shift isn't that great a game really. But I think he has some really great qualities, I can definitely understand having a thing for him (wink wink).

TheHound

Dec 22, 2007
Not wanting to ruin anything for anyone but I was disappointed in the lack of barney in Ep1 & Ep2.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Larenxis said:
the_carrot said:
Blue Shift isn't that great a game really.
Really? Why?
Too short. It was fun. Still unlike Gordon or Adrien, Barney isn't some super human and doesn't fight any bosses either. But it was still a fun little expansion.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
At the (real) beginning of Half-Life 2, after the teleporter incident, I was going along and all, and Barney comes up and says, "Hey! I think you dropped this back in Black Mesa!" and gives me a... crowbar. Not the experimental gun, not the gluon gun, not a SMG, not a shotgun, and not a handgun. While I was glad to have a weapon at all I thought, 'Is that the best you can come up with?!'
Still, Barney's pretty cool I think.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
stevesan said:
Barney's cool...

but it's all about Dog.
Outrageous! If I wanted a giant robot dog shaped like a gorilla I'd...
Okay, I guess they're both pretty great.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
LordOmnit said:
At the (real) beginning of Half-Life 2, after the teleporter incident, I was going along and all, and Barney comes up and says, "Hey! I think you dropped this back in Black Mesa!" and gives me a... crowbar. Not the experimental gun, not the gluon gun, not a SMG, not a shotgun, and not a handgun. While I was glad to have a weapon at all I thought, 'Is that the best you can come up with?!'
Still, Barney's pretty cool I think.
Are you doubting the crowbar?! Shame on you!

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
No, I'll randomly get the urge to use it on some combines or zombies. And actually I've found it's the best thing if a fast zombie has gotten to you. Although what sucks is that I've played the original Half-Life, got The Orange Box, played HL:2, Episode 1, and I was going to start Episode 2 about an hour or so ago, but then I was told by Vista, "Ha ha! NO."
So I'll be waiting for the continuing adventures of Gordon Freeman for a while until I can get my laptop fixed up and able to play the rest of the box. Feh. Although Episode 1 was amazingly short.

blackadvent

Nov 16, 2007
I like Barney as much as the next guy. But I want Adrian Shepard back.

My bet? He shows up with Barney and Chell with her Portal gun at the last parts of Episode 3, or they show up at the climax, forcing us to resort to reading fanfictions during the seven years it takes for Valve to continue the story from there.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
As much as we all love and adore Barney no one can deny that hes the most fun to beat to death with a crowbar.

Hehehe

>: )

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I don't think you can kill Barney, but if you could, I'm sure he'd take the crowbar beating like a man. A man with a gun that is

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
blackadvent said:

My bet? He shows up with Barney and Chell with her Portal gun at the last parts of Episode 3, or they show up at the climax, forcing us to resort to reading fanfictions during the seven years it takes for Valve to continue the story from there.
Off topic, but, what's up with people thinking theres going to be a Portal/Half-Life connection in Episode 3? I love the idea, but is it based upon anything? The only time Portal connects to half-life at all is when the computer mentions Black-Mesa in its song. Right?

ZeroExclamation

Jan 2, 2008
Ranzel said:
blackadvent said:

Off topic, but, what's up with people thinking theres going to be a Portal/Half-Life connection in Episode 3? I love the idea, but is it based upon anything? The only time Portal connects to half-life at all is when the computer mentions Black-Mesa in its song. Right?
Actually, if you look around the boardrooms and the slideshows, you'll see references to Black Mesa in terms of government funding distribution.

Gansasalite

Jan 2, 2008
Ranzel said:
Not Wanting to Ruin the Game for anyone, so all i'll say Ranzel is they Mention Aperture Science In Ep-2 in a big way (like, plot wise its important). And In Portal Black Mesa is Mentioned in Game as well.

On Topic, I love Barney, thats who. From the moment I killed him to get his Gun in the Original, to when i thought "Oh, Thank god im not gonna get Combine Raped in this Interigation room, it's only Barney".

BUT, where did he go in Ep-2, i miss my old friend.