Do you love or hate your job?

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I both love and hate my current 'day job'.
Lots of down-time,decent hourly pay rate. Some pretty cool co-workers. Cool and reasonably competent managers.
Flip side-under-appreciated by upper management and the public, dealing with the public means dealing with some true asshats, some co-workers who are nice but dumb as bricks, some co-workers who are reasonably intelligent but can be quite irresponsible and/or nasty.
The really big downside is that the job can *never* be full-time, and with the hours that we get finding another part-time job to balance our lives/income is nearly impossible.

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
I work at my family's bakery, while it sounds fun and games off-hand, the pay is okay. My job there is customer service, six years (I started around 13.) I get along with people great.

The main reason why I absolutely hate it is because 70% of my co-workers are from the same halfway house (rehabilitation whether it be drugs or alcohol.) and any drama they have over at their rehab, they bring to my job, and I have to deal with it. The reason they end up where I work is because it's cheaper labor and it's not difficult to get a customer service job through someone who already works there.

Overall my job is okay, It can be so much better though.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm mostly ambivalent about my job. I'm a programmer and I'm good at it and I really enjoy doing it, but I never have enough to do at work, if that makes any sense. I spend something like 80-90% of my day surfing the internet and fucking around on that instead of doing something related to my job, because when I do spend time on my job, I speed through it and get done in minutes what my boss insists should take days.

And whenever I suggest that's the case, I get strange looks and insistence that it really can't take that little time.

So I end up being bored out of my mind pretty much all the time at work. It wouldn't be so bad, but it's like this at literally every programming job I've had.

It's really kinda annoying and makes me wish I could work from home.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I'm actually starting my new job tomorrow (at 6 a.m. no less!) so I can't really say for sure yet. Although I'm going to be working at a McDonalds for shit pay, so I can imagine I'm not going to like it. Hated my last job though, I was a host at a Mexican restaurant, and I didn't really like anything about it. The waiters would get pissed at me for just doing my job, and the customers were mostly entitled dicks.

I'll have to edit this later to answer the question.

EDIT: I hate my job.

0 to 3 Sad Onions

Sep 9, 2013
Technically, I don't start until next week, but it's a gig that I've had before, so I shall answer this in the present tense as if I was already working.

My employer is a company that specializes in mid-scale gift items and sells a lot of junk food and I toil somewhere in the belly of the beast, putting together gift towers. It's a strictly seasonal gig with slim-to-nil room for advancement and <1% chance of landing anything long-term, but I'm as happy here doing this as I have been anywhere else. And this company has put my ass to work at times when no one else in the area would give me the time of day, so I owe them a debt of gratitude.

Much like just about any job, it's a mixed bag. On the up side, the hours are ironclad, meaning no scheduling rollercoasters, I get paid extra just for working the swing shift, incentive opportunities are plentiful, the production floor isn't suffocatingly hot, I get eight guaranteed hours away from screens every night, there aren't any bitchy customers to deal with and I don't have to wear a damn uniform. The work itself isn't too rough either, even if it is manual labor.

On the down side, the hours are fixed and not up for negotiation, which means that I can't make enough wiggle room in my schedule to pick up a second job somewhere else or study on the side, I'm not bringing in enough money to support myself even with all the bonuses, our supervisor is such a non-presence on the floor that the some of the line leaders have started to see themselves as the boss(es), promotions to management are based less on leadership abilities and more on how fast you are on the line or who your friends in the company are, meaning that some of the team leaders -- i.e. the one I worked with last time out -- are Dilbertian putzes with no social skills who will fuck something up on a royal scale (like maybe starting the wrong order at the wrong time, making too few or too many of one thing or putting Miscellaneous Item X on Gift Set Y in the wrong version of Package Z, meaning that the whole line will have to stop what it's doing and fix that, costing us time and bonuses) and then act like it was all your fault later, white-hat camaraderie is so low that lines function less as single teams and more like splintered cliques operating with minimal concern for the others, the higher-ups in this department have organization and communication skills comparable to the owners of Paddy's Pub and because the company will hire just about anyone with a pulse, sometimes you run into people who use a limited or lack of English proficiency as an excuse to not pull their weight* or who are just fucking stupid (and you never know, that one guy in the other building might literally be a Nazi).

* - A pre-emptive response to anyone crying "racist!": The vast majority of the Mexicans I know and have worked with are industrious and hard-working people, but I have had to deal with stragglers hiding behind language barriers on the job before.

keniakittykat said:
But The job I have now just SUCKS, I'm stuck in a post-order helpdesk office all day, answering emails and phone calls from angry assholes who don't have any patience or don't actually want a solution to their problem, but just want to yell at something!
Customer service work has appeared. It's the killer. Do not die.

I used to do call-center work. I know firsthand how stupid and/or flat-out mendacious people can be. I have stories to tell that'll make your jaw hit the floor. For the sake of brevity, let's just say that there are reasons why I went right back to general labor after years of trying to break into customer service and leave it at that.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well I just got a job as a porter at the local bowling alley. I'm grateful for the job, seeing as how I was looking for one for god knows how long. But goddamn do my feet hurt. I walk around all day cleaning tables, cleaning bathrooms, getting dead balls out of the gutters, ect. All for about 6 to 8 hours a day.

On the plus side, I get two ten minute breaks and a 30 minute break for lunch or dinner, which I get a 50% discount on because I work there. So that's pretty nice.

It also feels kinda rewarding helping a family with kids by going walking down and picking up their ball that got stuck.

So, I don't hate my job. In fact I actually kinda like it. But it's pretty hard too.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
keniakittykat said:
I've been fired at the amusement park a few months ago because of 'downsizing'. Sure, the hours were weird and late and the pay was shit, but I loved that job. I've loved every job I had in my life.
I worked as a servant at the amusement park, I worked as a city street sweep, and the best job I ever had was when I was running maintenance at a graveyard.

But The job I have now just SUCKS, I'm stuck in a post-order helpdesk office all day, answering emails and phone calls from angry assholes who don't have any patience or don't actually want a solution to their problem, but just want to yell at something!

The pay is great, the best I've ever had. I make almost 1400? a month, and the hours are from 8 to 5. But i'd trade my comfortable office chair for the graveyard shovel in a heartbeat!

So, do you love or hate your job? And if you do, what would you rather do?
My previous job was as a banquet staff personal (thats pretty much what the job was titled) for a ski resort. I worked a few hours a week for minimum wage and a petence in tips. I, and every other person there, had to set up and take down banquets. It.Sucked.Hard...

Myrrent job is selling liqure in a Pennsylvania Wine and Spirits store. I get almost 40 hours a week, well above minimum wage, and its actually pretty easy (running a cash register and stocking the shelves mostly.) I love it. And whats better, its a entry level state job, which mean im basically set for life.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
I don't hate my job, but I'm not particularly fond of it either. Washing dishes isn't exactly exciting, and it's pretty hard work considering what you're being paid and how busy the restaurant I work at usually is (washing 700 people's worth of dishes by yourself sucks). My co-workers are nice (even if some are catastrophically stupid at times), and my bosses like/respect me enough where I have kind of a *pseudo-management level of authority.

*What I mean by this is if I ask someone to do something/help me out in some way, my bosses will usually back me up and make sure it gets done. It's nice, and my co-workers don't mind it that much because I don't ask for much.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
I'm a technical writer. I write and quality control technical manuals for valve actuators (the things that open and close large oil and gas pipelines). The pay is fair but the job is not very hard. I get to set my deadlines and write various things for our newsletters. I also don't get too much heat from the bosses as I proofread their work sometimes and I can change shift and set it any time of any day I please. I am good at it, I love my job and will give it an 8/10.

I previously worked as an IT Servicedesk Engineer. I take calls and I do tickets. It was hell. In one day I took as many as 90-120 calls from desperate and angry callers and I had to do at least 80 tickets (IT problems sent through email) on top of that. My average daily phone talk time was around 7h:51m. If I took more than ten minutes to solve a problem on the phone, the boss would yell at me and fail me on my metrics. If I solved less than 400 tickets per week, I fail and get yelled at.

I resigned from my old job because I was worried at what it would do to my lifespan.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I hate it, I hate it a lot. The customers are all jerks and the work is tedious at best. The only think keeping me from walking out is that I actually like my co-workers. <.>

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I have 2 jobs.

1) High School English teacher.
I really do love it. It's incredibly rewarding to know that I've just improved someone's communication skill for the rest of their life, even if they don't. Language is easily the most important thing to humanity I think, so it's great to be a part of it. I get to share my love for literature and it keeps MY OWN language skills up to date.

2) Fashion salesman.
I'm a part time menswear salesman. LOVE it to death. I'm naturally a very fashion-coordinated and a very confident speaker so I can sell pretty much any piece of clothing you hand me. I'm also trying to start my own fashion illustration schtick but that's gonna take a while.

Jun 16, 2010
Beffudled Sheep said:
Unfortunately I only have a couple night shifts so my overall feelings on my job are quickly dropping to hate.
Couldn't you find a co-worker who hates night shifts and swap with them?

Oct 2, 2012
James Joseph Emerald said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Unfortunately I only have a couple night shifts so my overall feelings on my job are quickly dropping to hate.
Couldn't you find a co-worker who hates night shifts and swap with them?
Only one other guy that does night shifts for my job and he ain't giving them up. Hell, he'd work all 7 days on the night shift if the bosses would let him get away with overtime. So for right now I'm stuck with only two until her quits, retires or gets fired.
Also doesn't help that I go to college 3 mornings out of the week and I'm miss a class (and be super beat) if I had all the night shifts.
*shrug*

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Work as a mechanic at a nuclear power plant. For the most part it's pretty awesome. I tear apart pumps, valves, heat exchangers, more pumps, etc. to do either a little cleaning/parts replacement, or figure out what is broke on it. Work 10 hours a day, 4 days a week (unless there's a lot of work, then hello overtime days. Or if something important breaks, then we can be there at night.) Pay wise is pretty awesome, and the nerd part of me likes it. ( I get to be the last person to ever touch a fuel assembly before it becomes shiny tower of death.)

The people I work for/with are pretty great as well. EVERYONE hunts or fishes, so we'll have cookouts at work every now and then where people will bring in deer steak/fish. Or we'll order some food and take a long lunch. If you have anything you have to do out in town, bosses are fine with you heading out and taking care of it. If you decide to take the rest of the day off afterwards, they're cool with that too (mostly because they do it as well.)

The crappy part is getting the go-ahead to do any actual work. SO much paperwork involved, everyone and their brother has to see something/give the o.k. before any work can be done. Though this has it's upsides too. I've spent entire work days in the shop, screwing around online or on my phone, goofing off with everyone else while we wait for work to clear paperwork hurdles.
We also get to play dominoes at lunchtime, those games can get pretty intense. Everyone pretty much fashions their work for the day so that they aren't late. Admittedly, I look forward to them as much as everyone else.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I work in healthcare as a carer at the moment. I very much like my job but do not 'love' it; it's hard to love anything when your last moments involve carrying a big bag of poo.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I am unemployed right now, but I have had 2 previous jobs.

My old job was being a waiter, the pay was okay (when I actually got it) But my boss...I should refrain talking about him or I will give myself an aneurysm...I quit after I got my wages and telling him to go fuck himself, was satisfying.

My next job was working part-time in a self-service restaurant, cleaning tables, taking trays and dishes to a trolley, wheeling it back and forth, replacing salt and pepper, bringing out cups, making coffees, all that stuff. My co-workers were helpful and my boss was very nice. I worked minimum wage and worked 5 hrs a day 2 days (3 on holidays) a week, that averaged around 40 euro a day, was good money and the work was easy enough (although many customers asked the most inane questions)

I remember a woman coming down from upstairs (the restaurant had its bathrooms upstairs in the sports shop, this is a department store by the way) and told me to tell my boss that there is blood and stuff all over one of the stalls, I told my boss and she simply said:
"Again? I'll get someone on that"
I was fucking terrified, this is a regular occurrence? Blood splatter on toilet stalls?
Why were you terrified? I am guessing it just means some woman forgot their tampon or something in that direction. I don't think that someone got stabbed there or something like that.

triggrhappy94 said:
Oh and I have one or two cute co-workers who aren't 18, but I probably shouldn't say that on the internet (I just turned 19, so it's not creepy or anything. Just illegal and a little weird).
Nothing weird about that, as long as they're not 13 or something. This 18 year line in america is just weird, at least from an European perspective. A seventeen year old and an 18 - 19 year old should be able to got out, making that illegal is just stupid.
Over here we have more stages than a clear line. From 14 to 16 you can with everyone up to 18. An Older age is ok too as long as both are completely consenting. (It specifies stuff like no payment and the older one isn't abusing the lack of sexual identity of the younger one.)
When you become 16 you're free to do whatever/whoever you want.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
I just stack shelves in a chemist and I do hate the job but i have had worst. The worst jobs i have had were in call centers and at GAME. But in my current job i get on with everyone there and I am surrounded by the most beautiful women i've ever met so i don't want to move on just yet.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
Robert Marrs said:
At my current job I make 8.25 an hour, I have to deal with shitty people all day and I don't get a paid lunch. I still love it. What I have found is that it does not really matter what you are doing. If you like the people around you it makes it so much nicer. Working a shit job with awesome people is a lot better than working an awesome job with shit people. I don't always look forward to going into work but when I get there I feel great because I know the people I will be spending the day with are enjoyable to be around.
I couldn't agree more! :)