Do you necessarily need to have mental health issues to kill someone?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
shootthebandit said:
I remember you mentioned this on another thread. I just didnt realise how important the medication is. Is that something you have to take daily?
It is. At the moment I take Lithium twice a day and an antidepressant once a day. The antidepressant's just a temporary thing I'll come off in a few months, but the Lithium's for life. Try to think of bipolar and schizophrenia as being like diabetes or severe asthma - lifelong conditions that can be effectively controlled with the right medication, but it's really important to stick to your meds and take them properly. To me, taking my Lithium is no different to taking my asthma meds each day.
Do you get many side effects? Ive known of people to take anti-depressants to get high so i'd imagine there must be some sort of side-effects (especially when you have other drugs too)?

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
No. "Sanctity" of life is not an attribute of human species. It is an attribute of part of human society. And humans are social creatures. When instinct overwhelms imposed morality, you can kill and stay entirely sane. Also there is such a thing as dehumanising, which circumvents morality.

So, no, but it helps.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
No, if you're conciously killing another person I do believe you need a state of mind which is very much out of the ordinary, but not necessarily a disorder.

If you add guns to the equasion, simple fits of rage, moments of stupidity, or miscalculations suffice.

Then of course you also have the abuse of various substances and cultural differences.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
shootthebandit said:
Do you get many side effects? Ive known of people to take anti-depressants to get high so i'd imagine there must be some sort of side-effects (especially when you have other drugs too)?
Not really, no. I've tried loads of different medications over the last few years, some of which did cause some very nasty side effects, but a big part of treating a condition like this is finding the right drugs for the individual patient.

The antidepressant caused a strange feeling of ants crawling all over my skin for the first day or two, but nothing since then. Lithium has caused a bit of acne, but I'm about to start a course of medication for that which worked for me in my teens. It's also given me a slight tremor in my hands and makes me more thirsty than I used to be, but those are both completely manageable.

Everyone's different, and different people can have radically different reactions to different drugs. This is true of pretty much all medicine, but especially for psychoactive medication because we still don't know a huge amount about how the brain works.

I've never heard of people taking antidepressants to get high, but they can sometimes send bipolar people manic so I guess anything's possible. Of course, people taking them recreationally don't actually need them, so obviously they're not going to work the way they're meant to in that scenario.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Well, in pre-agricultural societies I have read in several sources that one of the main causes of death for people was murder. Indeed throughout history people having constantly been killing each other to the point where it might be fair to say that that is the norm. Honestly I am pretty sure that murder is very natural, and it in no way requires someone to be crazy for them to kills someone else. Killing is in effect one of the most basic urges we have.

However, millennia of social conditioning developed overtime with the creation of civilization is what prevents us from just killing each other.

So the real question is: do you need to have a mental health issue to overcome that societal conditioning? Which is I think a more interesting question.

P.S.: shame on you Escapist for not recognizing the word "millennia"

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Nope, all you need is a good reason that makes sense to you. Even if that reason is "because i want to."

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
krazykidd said:
Just to be clear, i'm not talking about self defense , accidentally killing someone or people that go to war ( soldiers).

Very often , when news of someone killing one or more people i see two frequent stances on the matter. We got the people, saying how disgusting and terrible the offender is and how he is the scum of humanity. Then we have the other side who assumes ( read: says ) the person has/had mental health issues, that lead him/her to commit such acts and probably needed help.

Now i'm not going to list any examples because i've been on the escapists long enough to know that if i do, the thread will be derailed into the stories i wrote. So i want to talk about the second part, mental issue. Here is the main question for this thread.

Do you think a person who kills another, necessarily has mental health issues?

Now i'm not as educated as most of you fine escapist, and i don't pretend to know anything about psychology and how the brain works. Despite that, i don't see why an average Joe cannot kill someone without having health problems. That isn't to mean, that i don't know why they wouldn't, killing is bad afterall. However if they wanted to , i think they could , no mental health issues required, they just don't.
more people have mental health issues then you'd think. I'd say almost 90% of people develop or have a mental issue sometime during their life. Society tells us that it is a shame to admit to having mental issues. Most of these people want help but feel like they can't get any due to social stigma. They bottle it up till they hit a breaking point.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
ultratog1028 said:
krazykidd said:
Just to be clear, i'm not talking about self defense , accidentally killing someone or people that go to war ( soldiers).

Very often , when news of someone killing one or more people i see two frequent stances on the matter. We got the people, saying how disgusting and terrible the offender is and how he is the scum of humanity. Then we have the other side who assumes ( read: says ) the person has/had mental health issues, that lead him/her to commit such acts and probably needed help.

Now i'm not going to list any examples because i've been on the escapists long enough to know that if i do, the thread will be derailed into the stories i wrote. So i want to talk about the second part, mental issue. Here is the main question for this thread.

Do you think a person who kills another, necessarily has mental health issues?

Now i'm not as educated as most of you fine escapist, and i don't pretend to know anything about psychology and how the brain works. Despite that, i don't see why an average Joe cannot kill someone without having health problems. That isn't to mean, that i don't know why they wouldn't, killing is bad afterall. However if they wanted to , i think they could , no mental health issues required, they just don't.
more people have mental health issues then you'd think. I'd say almost 90% of people develop or have a mental issue sometime during their life. Society tells us that it is a shame to admit to having mental issues. Most of these people want help but feel like they can't get any due to social stigma. They bottle it up till they hit a breaking point.
Let's say that's true your first sentence is true ( 90% seems like a lot ). There is no way 90% of the population get's treated for mental health issues, does that mean that some mental health issues auto-resolve themselves overtime? If not , then wouldn't that then mean that the remaining 10% are actually the abnormal people?

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Not at all. There are lots of reasons people kill other people that nobodies assumes they're mentally ill. Revenge and money being the most obvious and understandable. Mostly these people go to jail, but usually nobody questions their mental health. THe mental health issue usually comes up when their is no apparent reason, like when the victim seems random.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dimitriov said:
However, millennia of social conditioning developed overtime with the creation of civilization is what prevents us from just killing each other.
I doubt it was ever "just" killing....there would have always been some kind of reason, a disgareement, a power struggle, punishment for a bad deed, ritual

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Either you can kill someone without having to have mental health issues (even though a soldier killing an enemy is accepted, it?s still killing, but they?re not deemed as having mental health issues), or we all have mental health issues. Anger can be quite a powerful motivating factor for killing someone, without having to put a label of ?schizophrenia? or something on it. Perhaps there?s no mental illness at all, since the criteria for a certain disorder can always change. There?s just a ?mental health spectrum?, and some people are further down one end than most others.

Also, very few people know what psychopathy/sociopathy actually entails. I know a lot of people who come across as selfish and uncaring of other people?s feelings, but I wouldn?t call them a sociopath. I have a sort-of-but-not-really friend who laughs at videos he finds online of people getting beheaded (mostly Islamist soldiers, but still), but he?s not a sociopath. He?s just a dick.

Aside from murder, what about rapists and human traffickers? Are they mentally ill, or just bastards? How about Elliot Rodger ? a young man with the world?s worst ?Nice Guy? complex? frustrated with how shit he perceived his life to be, or a textbook example of someone suffering from narcissistic personality disorder and supported by having been in long-term therapy? What about child molesters? And that includes the regretful ones, who claim to have been sexually addicted rather than wanting to cause actual harm, and even a lot of non-paedophiles in society don?t really treat children as people ? not until they become adults, at least.

But none of us are real psychologists anyway.