Do You Pay Attention to Post Counts?

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
I used to care back when I was a teen... Those were my trolling years though. Now i rarely post anywhere. I only just started really posting on here. I mean I've had this account since 2006 and first post was 2010(and next post was in 2011).

Now though if i feel like adding something to the conversation I'll post it. I've typed out plenty of posts where I just deleted afterwords, since it didn't add anything to the topic or I was really just ranting. However sometimes just typing them out is enough, without needing to post.

Original Bubs

Mar 18, 2010
Sassafrass said:
Feralcentaur said:
Alright then, good answer.
Question 2: What is the video series most openly disliked/despised/hated by the community to have ever had a video spot each week?

A.) Zero Punctuation
B.) Apocalypse Lane
C.) Unskippable
D.) Miracle of Sound
E.) GameDogs
F.) Unforgotten Realms
G.) Rebecca Mayes Muses
H.) There will be Brawl
I.) ENN
J.) "People on the Escapist are too civilized to express distaste for something!"
K.) Other.
L.) Jimquisition
M.) Movie Bob
N.) Big Picture

This one is a bit more off a toss up...[/

This one really depends on the weather, wind direction and a lucky Magic 8-Ball. :p
Recently, I'm pretty sure it's been mostly Jimquisition hate.

ThePinkAcidSmurf

Mar 30, 2010
I don't pay attention to post count. But I'm actually more likely to read what you're writing if you make a long post since I get curious.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Silence OP, your post count is lower than mine, therefore not worth my time!
...I'm sorry, were you saying something? Damned inferiors... :p

Anyways, not usually. I pay more attention to WHEN they joined, which when combined with the post count tends to accurately give me a picture of the poster. (With the exception of < 500 posts starting two months ago, they're wildcards. Impress me, you fools!)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Scde2 said:
Ah, I remember the time when I first joined the site over a year ago and seeing people with 15k+ posts and thought I would never get there.
Lololo.

OT: It doesn't mean anything, it's incredibly easy to raise it without breaking the rules.
You joined a year ago and have 40k? HOLY CRAP!

OT: I do care, since i've been here awhile and haven't reached 10k yet. :( 3k more!

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
I remember recently a dude with one post making a thread posting that BF3 had horrible graphics and whatnot, everyone quickly realized that he was trolling and called him out on it, and one look at his xbox profile and all the CoD in it proved everyone right. It seems that when they know they will most likely get in trouble, some people make accounts just to troll, and those people should have their nuts twisted off by a big brutish woman with drinking problems.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I have before, but the badges generally tell more than the post count as far as identifying trolls goes.
<---Like these

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Feralcentaur said:
I disagree that's done a lot because I'm 90% sure despite having a decent amount of posts almost no one here knows me in any shape or form. And usually I'm judged by people misreading me because I rarely properly convey what I'm thinking.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
I don't usually pay attention to it, but any time someone posts something that is pretty much flatout advertising I check their post count. If it's high I figure the person is sharing it because they genuinely think it's good or that other readers will appreciate it; if it is their first post, I ignore it as spam and if it's really really low (i.e. <10) I assume it is a marketing post that the person was smart enough to put up a few posts so they seem more genuine.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
Post count? No.

Registration date? Yes.

To me that is more important. A post count simply means a person has a lot of time on their hands and honestly - quality versus quantity, mate.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Having a high post count says that a person probably knows how to avoid moderator wrath, but little else. Having a low post count says nothing about a person. Someone being new here, or posting rarely, is no indication that their opinions are invalid; and having a high post count is no proof against being a moron.

I formed a firm opinion on this matter after, with my second post, I called someone out for being a dick. He attacked me for it being my second post in 4 months, and for my having only one badge. I proceeded to take him apart, and he was banned a few days later.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
AWDMANOUT said:
The higher post count you have, it usually means the longer you've been here. Which equates to seniority.
I disagree. Higher post counts equate to the amount of time spent participating in the Escapist Forums, not how long the user has been on the site.

On this subject, while my join date is significantly farther back than many active users logging in today the vast majority of them have been before The Escapist absorbed the Warcry Network into their site. Boy, was I shocked when I couldn't find any of the users I normally spoke with. I do miss them all terribly.

Not that you folks are any bad, I just wasn't ready for that commitment.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I only pay attention to post count when it's the single digits or early double digits, and the registration date is very, very recent.

One of three things will happen:
1: Posts: "Welcome to the Escapist! Stay out of the basement!"
2: Thinks: "Oh look. Someone made an account to leave a angry comment on the video. How cute."
3: Reads post: "Interesting." Moves on.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
When I was like 14 and lived on the Newgrounds forum post count meant EVERYTHING, it was like the size of your epeen. These days I never pay attention, I have absolutely no idea how many posts I have right now, I look forward to finding out once I post this one.

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
<----- WOOOO check out my post count :D HAHA but seriously I've only been here for a couple of days and, like most I assume, started going to this site because of Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation. I made an account because I liked everything else this site had to offer. I don't judge people because of little things such as post count. Also I try to maintain good spelling and grammar, but my browser spell-checks for me. :)

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Post count means nothing to me. I've been on my share of forums before the Escapist, and there've been plenty of people that from day one have quite intelligent or at least worthwhile posts, and plenty who have just barely managed to stick around by not really contributing anything but have hundreds or thousands of posts logged. However, when I see someone with a high post count (in the few thousands) and they use things like proper grammar and solid logic and so on, I tend to have a quick moment of respect for them before reverting back to the normal "is their post any good" measure. Which, really, I carry out unconsciously.

Though when I was younger--like, six or seven years ago--post count was all-important to me. I was, on the forum I was on at the time, all about getting that big number. But maybe that's because everyone else was, too, and all the important people had thousands of posts and any site-based contests were usually rewarded with a bump in post count for some reason.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
No, I don't. Post counts aren't trophy material to me. You have 4,000+ Posts? Good for you. Some of us (myself included) are just passive observers that don't need to feel the need to comment on most of the threads featured on The Escapist. Most times it's because someone says exactly what I would've said or something close to it. Sometimes I don't have an opinion on the matter. Then there are the times that the same thread gets posted 4-5 times in one week, and I don't want to spread the same viewpoint on those doppelganger threads.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Its a funny habit some of us pick up isn't it? We look at a person's post count, and we sometimes makes assumptions based on them. For example, any time I see someone with over Ten Thousand posts, I tend to treat them with more respect, since they must have payed attention to the rules and been reasonable to have lasted that long.

At the same time, I tend to look down on newer posters, since I'm still suspicious of people who might not yet know the rules, or are stealth trolls.

Then there are the regulars with a thousand posts or more, and I equate myself to being on the same level as them.

Does anyone else here do this? If you do, can you think of why we might set up a mental image of a forum hierarchy?
I care more about join date than anything. Seeing someone with 10K posts in a year makes me wonder if they shouldn't be doing something better with their time. Often times the people who joined 4-5 years ago and only post rarely have the most important things to say.

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
I do remember in the early days feeling a little disheartened at my low post count because I felt people may have glossed over me.
Another problem was that for a while I wouldn't auto-log in when I came to this site, so when I would go to post something the hassle of logging in, finding the thread again etc. was just a bit too much.
But my post count I think is at a respectible level, and it is nice to see it meander towards perhaps a higher level of respect, like a monk ascending a mountain to reach enlightment. I am plagued with the problem of not having much to say, especially since Hankman just dominated the pun corner of this place. But, I will put thought into what I say and try to be as educated as I can about the topic, but I'm quite an easygoing person, so you won't see me in the more serious threads which are generally the most posted in.
In the end, we're all just people, some of us talk a lot, some not so much, but in the end it'll always be quality over quantity.
Besides I just need to get a catchy avatar and then no one will care about my post count!